1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VP race

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Mar 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

NM Governor Bill Richardson, considered a top tier choice for VP even though he's flatly denied interest, has endorsed Dick Gephardt as Kerry's best choice. Just reported on the Albuquerque local news.

2. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Dick Gephardt? Ew.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if he chooses gephardt, i can assure you that doesn't do much to sway this member of the 10% club! :) kinda works in the other direction, frankly.

4. Batman Jones

GV: Worse than Cheney, do you think? If you care at all about labor issues (and with Bush trying to make an end run around overtime pay, it's a good time to care about that stuff), there's no one better. More importantly, Gephardt probably tilts Missouri blue which is probably enough to win.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand the rationale of choosing Gephardt. I just haven't been that big of a fan of his as a senator or primary candidate.

There is also the idea that the VP should be an attack dog for the President. I don't see Gephardt being that effective in that role. I don't know that Edwards, or Richardson would be either, but I like both of them better. Clark would be a good attack dog, but I don't think he can bring you MO. or would be that big of a help in Ohio like Gephardt might.

Whatever is best for the ticket will work with me.

6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I believe Kerry's V.P. selection will be determined by this epic battle;

Dick Gephardt:
    [​IMG]

vs.

Rowdy Roddy Piper:
    [​IMG]

7. Batman Jones

FB: I like Clark fine, but he doesn't add anything to the ticket. And while I'm not personally endorsing Gephardt, he's much more of an attack dog than any of the other guys you mentioned. Plus Missouri and Ohio. That said, I think it's gonna be Bayh.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah I forgot about the Bayh talk. I actually prefer Gephardt to Bayh.

I do agree that Gephardt can be more of an attack dog, but I don't believe he will be good at being an attack dog. In all honesty I don't know how important that aspect is, I've just heard it thrown around as conventional wisdom.

9. Batman Jones

FB: The attack dog thing is important. There are things a VP candidate can say that a presidential one can't (wouldn't be presidential). That's a big knock against Edwards actually. It's funny you think Gephardt would be an ineffective attacker and then suggest Clark. Clark's attacks (on Bush and his primary opponents) were especially flacid. They felt scripted to the point of being badly awkward. Gephardt's old and he's definitely a Washington guy, but nobody's more knowledgeable and no one has a greater passion for labor and the concerns of working people -- certainly not Edwards, contrary to the last month of the campaign. I don't much favor Bayh either. There's no VP candidate that excites me. I just hope Kerry'll pick the one that helps in the Midwest or Florida (don't forget about Graham -- that guy's an attack dog).

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Graham is an attack dog, but I don't think he's effective. When he attacks people don't buy what he has to say. He tends to lose credibility. I do grant Gephardt real resonation with labor issues. I just think on Iraq and military issues Clark has the background to attack, but he may not be able to actually execute the attack. I really do like Bill Richardson. I think a lot of people do. That likability might make people take note and respect what he has to say when he's attacking. Will Richardson bring Kerry Missouri, or Wisconsin, or Ohio or any of those states are within Kerry's grasp? I don't know. Gephardt might be the best guy for that. It's a tough decision.

11. Batman Jones

Kerry doesn't need any help on the war. And Clark wouldn't give him much he doesn't have. The voters that won't listen to Kerry likely won't listen to Clark either. Bayh gives him a moderate 'voice of reason' (he's a DLC conservative Dem) to balance the liberal thing. Gephardt gives him 'I feel your pain' to balance the aloofness. And both of those guys probably give Kerry a battleground state. (Clark probably doesn't move Arkansas by himself and Edwards almost definitely doesn't move NC.) That's an important factor with Graham too, who's immensely popular in Florida. The Kerry camp's definitely polling on this.

Richardson's a non-factor in the Midwest. The strategy with him would be to firm up NM (it was close last time) and pick up AZ (which went Bush) because of proximity and the large Latino population there. The 2000 blue states plus AZ are good for 270. It's a little dodgy since Richardson's not a lock to move AZ and the Dems have a lot of close wins from last time to protect too. The AZ strategy plays it a lot closer than, say, Ohio. If Gephardt or Bayh (who polls showed moved Indiana blue) can get MO, OH and/or IN, I'd think they're the frontrunners.

12. outlaw

outlaw Member

I like Gephardt simply for the fact it would bring up the lesbian daughter angle in the VP debate with Cheney (The Battle of the Dicks?)

However he is even more of a Washington insider than Kerry and that seems to be Bush's main point of attack right now.

13. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

Where are there more undecided and potentially democratic votes, in the middle or on the left?

Gephardt makes progressives want to retch, regardless of his faux-labor stance. He's a joke and needs to be put out to pasture immediately. Batman, if you really thing the electorate is sophisticated enough to determine that the gravitas that Cheney brings to Bush is outweighed by Gephardt's... what? ... labor credentials? Labor is a lost cause as a polititcal force these days. I'm sure you know that. Anyway, if you somehow think that Gephardt would be a plus in comparison with Cheney, then you are seriously living in a comic book.

I have no idea whom Kerry should select, by the way.

14. Batman Jones

nyrocket: What an extraordinarily weird post. I'm not a Gephardt fan. Nobody was madder at him than me after 2002 or the war vote. But anyone attached to Labor in any real way would find extreme fault with your characterization of Gephardt's career-long support of their cause. He's never, ever wavered. To suggest otherwise is flat silly. It is equally silly to suggest that Kerry will be looking for progressive votes with his VP pick. He's already got all those he's going to get. I didn't reference Labor as a needed constituency, but since you brought it up the Teamsters went with Bush last time. Some of those votes and dollars are in play. I referenced Labor because their issues are important to me personally as a matter of fair play and, even while I've been furious with Gephardt many times in recent years, I've always appreciated his real commitment to those issues.

As for the other thing, it's not a race between VP's. And, outside one ninety minute debate, it won't be head-to-head. It's about whether or not a VP candidate can pick up a state or balance the ticket. You didn't need to repeat that you had no idea who Kerry should pick. You made that perfectly clear.

#14 Batman Jones, Mar 7, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  15. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

My contention is that labor has lost its relevance as a political force. Kerry's possible selction of Gephardt in order to secure the labor vote is equal parts folly and suicide as far as I'm concerned.

I think you miscalculate the impact Cheney has on the Republican ticket. Many GOPers know that Bush is a figurehead and expect Cheney to provide the rudder of guidance and experience.

And I remain interested in the question of where the greater number of undecided voters are, in the middle or on the left. The Democrats miscalculated that last time around and look where we are.

16. Batman Jones

I don't calculate Cheney's influence at all here because, like I said, VP vs. VP is an irrelevant race. Outside that ninety minutes and the story that follows it, a comparison of the VP candidates won't be a factor. It's how the VP compares to his running mate that matters.

Kerry has the liberal and progressive votes he's going to get, by and large. The Democrats did miscalculate last time, both the candidate and the voters, and I don't have to "look where we are." I know where we are and so do all the other progressives that voted Nader or stayed home last time. And now we all know what a disaster Bush is. Gore ran a horrible campaign, but he could run that exact same horrible campaign this time and he'd get the vast majority of the Nader votes, some of the Bush ones and more than a few from people who stayed home last time. Your real question should be are there more votes to be gained from progressives who are such ideologues they can't recognize a meaningful difference between Bush and Kerry or are there more votes to be gained from independents. And the answer is obvious. Virtually any leftie who would ever vote for Kerry is already voting for Kerry. He's not moving left and he shouldn't. There are a lot more independents out there than there are Nader voters or stay-at-homers and if those guys haven't recognized the importance of beating Bush over pure ideology, they're not going to. Besides, for all the problems I have with Kerry, he's more of a liberal than Dean or Edwards, way, way more of a liberal than Clinton and nearly as much of one as Gephardt.

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

if he chooses gephardt, i can assure you that doesn't do much to sway this member of the 10% club! kinda works in the other direction, frankly

Max, I hate to say it, but just vote Republican. I know it must be embarassing with Bush and Cheney, but if the moderate Gephardt, who enthusiastically supported the Iraq war is enough to swing your vote, you really should just vote Republican.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

while i appreciate your help...it's not necessarily a "moderate" Gephardt platform I don't like...it's the smug Gephardt, himself.

freaking nominate Edwards for President and I'd be all over it.

geez, glynch...give me SOME credit. :)

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Gephardt as running-mate would open Kerry up to too many new attacks. As far as I'm concerned, Kerry's only logical choice is John Edwards.

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did you see the latest polls that have nader around 6 percent? if that holds up, and i don't think it will, kerry is definitely toast.