1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Vox] Intellectual humility: the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

seems appropriate for this forum ;)

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...ual-humility-explained-psychology-replication

an excerpt:

Intellectual humility: the importance of knowing you might be wrong
    Why it’s so hard to see our own ignorance, and what to do about it.
    By Brian Resnick@B_resnickbrian@vox.com Jan 4, 2019, 8:40am EST
    Illustrations by Javier Zarracina

Julia Rohrer wants to create a radical new culture for social scientists. A personality psychologist at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Rohrer is trying to get her peers to publicly, willingly admit it when they are wrong.

To do this, she, along with some colleagues, started up something called the Loss of Confidence Project. It’s designed to be an academic safe space for researchers to declare for all to see that they no longer believe in the accuracy of one of their previous findings. The effort recently yielded a paper that includes six admissions of no confidence. And it’s accepting submissions until January 31.

“I do think it’s a cultural issue that people are not willing to admit mistakes,” Rohrer says. “Our broader goal is to gently nudge the whole scientific system and psychology toward a different culture,” where it’s okay, normalized, and expected for researchers to admit past mistakes and not get penalized for it.

The project is timely because a large number of scientific findings have been disproven, or become more doubtful, in recent years. One high-profile effort to retest 100 psychological experiments found only 40 percent replicated with more rigorous methods. It’s been a painful period for social scientists, who’ve had to deal with failed replications of classic studies and realize their research practices are often weak.

to lie and spread false information incredibly quickly, we need intellectually humble, curious people.

I’ve also realized how difficult it is to foster intellectual humility. In my reporting on this, I’ve learned there are three main challenges on the path to humility:

1. In order for us to acquire more intellectual humility, we all, even the smartest among us, need to better appreciate our cognitive blind spots. Our minds are more imperfect and imprecise than we’d often like to admit. Our ignorance can be invisible.
    2. Even when we overcome that immense challenge and figure out our errors, we need to remember we won’t necessarily be punished for saying, “I was wrong.” And we need to be braver about saying it. We need a culture that celebrates those words.
    3. We’ll never achieve perfect intellectual humility. So we need to choose our convictions thoughtfully.
    This is all to say: Intellectual humility isn’t easy. But damn, it’s a virtue worth striving for, and failing for, in this new year.

Intellectual humility, explained

Intellectual humility is simply “the recognition that the things you believe in might in fact be wrong,” as Mark Leary, a social and personality psychologist at Duke University, tells me.

But don’t confuse it with overall humility or bashfulness. It’s not about being a pushover; it’s not about lacking confidence, or self-esteem. The intellectually humble don’t cave every time their thoughts are challenged.

Instead, it’s a method of thinking. It’s about entertaining the possibility that you may be wrong and being open to learning from the experience of others. Intellectual humility is about being actively curious about your blind spots. One illustration is in the ideal of the scientific method, where a scientist actively works against her own hypothesis, attempting to rule out any other alternative explanations for a phenomenon before settling on a conclusion. It’s about asking: What am I missing here?

It doesn’t require a high IQ or a particular skill set. It does, however, require making a habit of thinking about your limits, which can be painful. “It’s a process of monitoring your own confidence,” Leary says.

This idea is older than social psychology. Philosophers from the earliest days have grappled with the limits of human knowledge. Michel de Montaigne, the 16th-century French philosopher credited with inventing the essay, wrote that “the plague of man is boasting of his knowledge.”

Social psychologists have learned that humility is associated with other valuable character traits: People who score higher on intellectual humility questionnaires are more open to hearing opposing views. They more readily seek out information that conflicts with their worldview. They pay more attention to evidence and have a stronger self-awareness when they answer a question incorrectly.

When you ask the intellectually arrogant if they’ve heard of bogus historical events like “Hamrick’s Rebellion,” they’ll say, “Sure.” The intellectually humble are less likely to do so. Studies have found that cognitive reflection — i.e., analytic thinking — is correlated with being better able to discern fake news stories from real ones. These studies haven’t looked at intellectual humility per se, but it’s plausible there’s an overlap.

Most important of all, the intellectually humble are more likely to admit it when they are wrong. When we admit we’re wrong, we can grow closer to the truth.

One reason I’ve been thinking about the virtue of humility recently is because our president, Donald Trump, is one of the least humble people on the planet.

It was Trump who said on the night of his nomination, “I alone can fix it,” with the “it” being our entire political system. It was Trump who once said, “I have one of the great memories of all time.” More recently, Trump told the Associated Press, “I have a natural instinct for science,” in dodging a question on climate change.

A frustration I feel about Trump and the era of history he represents is that his pride and his success — he is among the most powerful people on earth — seem to be related. He exemplifies how our society rewards confidence and bluster, not truthfulness.

Yet we’ve also seen some very high-profile examples lately of how overconfident leadership can be ruinous for companies. Look at what happened to Theranos, a company that promised to change the way blood samples are drawn. It was all hype, all bluster, and it collapsed. Or consider Enron’s overconfident executives, who were often hailed for their intellectual brilliance — they ran the company into the ground with risky, suspect financial decisions.

The problem with arrogance is that the truth always catches up. Trump may be president and confident in his denials of climate change, but the changes to our environment will still ruin so many things in the future.
    more at the link

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You should email this to TPOTUS, he needs to read it badly.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of people like it when someone in a position of authority has unflappable confidence and claims they know or will find the solutions to all of our problems.

It isn't necessarily conservative/liberal slanted either, as you can find examples in recent history of both.

It becomes dangerous when someone with those leanings, also have some degree of immediate success........ be it Hitler, Chavez or any number of others.

Our prosperity and checks and balances have saved the United States so far, but it isn't impossible that it could happen here.

FDR and Lincoln both have flirted with crossing that border.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I know I'm right because I shout louder than you.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

NO YOU DON'T!

Amiga and KingCheetah like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Well, hell, Os, you must be one humble mofo since you never post any opinions of your own ;)

Invisible Fan and KingCheetah like this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Member

He doesn't read.....

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

[​IMG]

dachuda86 likes this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We should CC it to every politician in DC …. both houses of Congress & Trump as they are all out of control …. and the SCOTUS so maybe they admit they were wrong on Citizens United and do something about it.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Change lead to lie.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm gonna ... um.. get me a beer.

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It's going to take at least two terms for the next decent administration (Dem or GOP) to correct the damage this dotard has done to our institutions of government.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More like:
    Intellectual humiliation: the importance of letting dummies know they are undeniably wrong

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Intellectual Humidity: The importance of knowing you might be foggy

mikol13 and Invisible Fan like this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Intellectual Haberdashery: The importance of designing functional thinking caps

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Intellectual Hillbilly: The importance of discerning fish lures

KingCheetah likes this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

IMG_9668.jpeg I could be wrong. I could be right.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I've done my research.

FranchiseBlade likes this.