1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voting For or Against?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Haymitch, Aug 25, 2016.

?

What is your motivation for your vote?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2016.
  1. For Hillary

30.4%
  2. For Trump

3.6%
  3. Against Hillary

14.3%
  4. Against Trump

51.8%
  1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

If you want to be able to look yourself in the mirror in the years to come without a deep and abiding sense of shame and regret, or if you want to be able to look your children and grandchildren in the eye when you are older when this comes up without feeling a sense that you have disgraced yourself, then surely you will not vote for either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.

Some people have standards, others don't.

Do you?

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Oh really, only if Trump get in white house would we have to feel we let the country down. Hillary is corrupt, big deal, so was Bill and had the best growth as a country while he was in office. Corrupt politicians do not destroy countries, incompetent politicians do. If Trump start a trade war with China, Mexico etc, just watch the country go into recession.

We are electing president, not a saint, plenty of corrupt politicians have done great jobs as head of the countries.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I applaud your principled stand. I hope there are many more who feel as you do.

It's a brave move...and we're all watching out for it.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ill take corrupt, liar, status quo (clinton) over a bigoted, childish, narcissistic, authoritarian-nationalist who somehow manages to be an even bigger liar than clinton (trump) any day.

but i cant in good conscience vote for clinton either so im 3rd party. boo to your poll for not covering all the options!

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As far as I'm concerned the election is already over and Hillary won. The Republicans put her in office by voting for a con man. The "Never Trump" people tried to save them from themselves, but they weren't smart enough for that.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think people should be talking about this more

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Navy: US ship fired warning shots at Iranian boat after it came within 200 yds in 2nd such incident in days <a href="https://t.co/KAxVZQcbtQ">https://t.co/KAxVZQcbtQ</a></p>&mdash; CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) <a href="https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/768882220257992704">August 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Due to the foreign policy incompetence of the current president, I don't think the US is far away from outright war with Iran. When that inevitably happens, I don't want Hillary in charge of that, but I sure as hell don't want Trump to have ANYTHING to do with it.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

What I will be watching for is all the people taking "principled stands" that they say they will on this and other discussion forums. I guess one way to measure it will be the number of votes Clinton and Trump get. If its measurably less that the major party candidates in years past, and/or the minor party candidates get measurably more votes, than people honestly voted on their "principles".

I belief... that come November, all those "principled" voters saying they won't vote for Trump will indeed vote for him. They will justify it, saying "lesser of two evils" or "can't let that woman win" or whatever, but when push comes to shove, they will vote for him.

Me? I am voting *for* Clinton. Do I like everything about her? Heck no... in fact, back when Obama first ran I posted I didn't like to vote for Hillary because I didn't think it was good for the country for two families (Clinton and Bush) to rotate through the presidency. Still don't think so. But, Hillary is by far the most experienced and stable of the candidates.

I will be happy to admit I was wrong about people not "walking the walk" come November. But I am betting I am not, and we'll see in a few months.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If it were liberals saying they were going to make a principled stance, I'd agree with you that they are lying and that when it counts they'd just fall in line, but that's not who is saying it.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Oh please, give it a rest.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Be more specific. What are you talking about?

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I agree with you completely. Except I think you over estimate how much support Trump will get. Clinton is awful but people will still vote for her on the basis of this thread. Overall it's rather depressing.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL - from which magazine publication did you order such a misogynistic wife.

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'll be voting against both Hillary and Trump.

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So, would I rather be set on fire, or eaten by wild animals?

I chose neither. If one of the two still happens to me - against my will I might add - I am not going to feel bad or guilty about ending up with that fate because I refused to select the other alternative.

It is not in any way clear that Trump is better or worse than Hillary, by the way. Both of these people are world-class turds that no principled person will lower themselves to vote for.

I choose neither. So should you.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So far there's not a single person For Trump, but 7 people For Hillary. That's about how I expected it to go.

Somewhat related question: what if, when in the voting booth, there was a "None of the Above" option?

I think that would be very interesting; I think it'd get more votes than either of the major candidates.

It'd be a mess but also beautiful to see "None of the Above" get the most votes and make all the parties re-do their nomination process. That would be a major step in the right direction IMO.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You wouldn't need 80 more options. You'd need one more option that says "Voting against both Clinton and Trump."

But don't worry on my behalf because I don't vote in public polls. But, I think I'm settled on voting for Stein. Or maybe Deez Nuts. I won't vote for Clinton, I won't vote for Trump. And, I don't like Libertarians. I don't know anything about Stein, and it's probably better that I don't lest I become disillusioned.

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The support for Hillary Clinton by people like you is as clear an illustration of tribalism as is likely to be found.

Pure tribalism. That is what it is. Case closed.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So RocketsLegend....

You don't really like Trump, you just really hate Clinton....

Gotcha...

T_Man

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

All of a sudden everyone's an independent.

TELLING

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you have an election with the worst candidates overall in US history, that'll happen. In any other election Hillary gets smoked for being a garbage candidate.....but Trump happened. We can hope that this is the bottom of the barrel and never again will the 2 major parties give us so little to vote for.