1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voter ID laws appear to be working to suppress Democrat votes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 15, 2016.

1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Here are some direct quotes from Republics about the intent of vote manipulation:

Mike Turzai (R-Pennsylvania) "Voter ID – which is going to allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania – done.” He was bragging on camera about the passage of new VoterID laws. Link

Don Yelton
    (NC GOP chair): “if it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks that want the government to give them everything, so be it.” and then adds, “The law is going to kick the Democrats in the butt.” Guest On The Daily Show - October 13, 2013. Link

Greg Abbott "when it came to fitting those new seats in the map, Republican lawmakers made sure three of them favored Republicans, who tend to be white" Link.

Doug Preis (OH GOP chair): "“I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban — read African-American — voter-turnout machine.” (And yes, he actually said “read African-American,” that wasn’t inserted.) Link

Amiga and Deckard like this.
  2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

TSA took my UH staff ID, which is the exact same as a student ID, except the word "Staff" is at the bottom.

This was after 9/11.

3. GladiatoRowdy

No, efforts to prevent legitimate citizens who tend to vote Democrat from voting are causing such trouble.

4. GladiatoRowdy

I lived without the ID now required to vote for nearly five years.

You're wrong.

5. GladiatoRowdy

They also gave you the required ID.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So in your mind, the only people so poor (have to be ridiculously poor, like homeless level poor, because a government ID is dirt cheap), lazy, or stupid to the point where they can't or won't get an ID are those who "tend to vote Democrat"? That's an interesting theory. I mean, that's 100% of the people affected so I can only assume you are talking about them.

7. GladiatoRowdy

If the required ID were both free and easy for any citizen to acquire and if the laws didn't contain provisions like those that reduce early voting hours in minority neighborhoods while not doing so in affluent areas, then there wouldn't be opposition to such laws.

8. GladiatoRowdy

Not when you account for all of the costs, there are a great many over the $16 you actually pay DPS.

An assumption and an insult in one word. That's 100% bobby, right there.

Yet more insults, what a stand-up guy.

Minorities tend to vote Democrat, as do many among the working class as well as students.

Minorities are directly impacted when polling locations in their neighborhoods have fewer opportunities for early voting, have the polling times when minorities historically organize voting drives cut off, and when fewer voting machines are provided in their neighborhoods leading to long lines. These are all provisions in different Voter ID laws throughout the nation.

A working class person might be able to pay for the ID, but might not put forth the effort if it takes one or more days off of work, expensive document acquisition, and/or a long trip to a DPS office in parts of the state where they could be a hundred miles away.

Students live in the district, but if they are from out of state, might not have a Texas ID.

This is three distinct profiles of people who could be negatively impacted without it having anything to do with their intelligence, affluence, or gumption.

Well, 100% of the people you're not ignoring, for sure.

9. GladiatoRowdy

Ultimately, I ended up having to take three days off of work. Even ONE day off of work might cause someone who might otherwise have voted to forego that right. I was lucky that I had a salaried position with vacation days. The working poor don't have that luxury.

10. GladiatoRowdy

I buy beer without ID regularly. In fact, the last time I was carded for beer was when I was in New York, not carded in Texas since the '90s.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can't say something like this without elaborating. What associated costs for a state ID are you dreaming up?

Just an accurate statement...which causes you to whine, pretty much par for the course.

Not an insult, just laying out the only plausible reasons why a person who wants an ID wouldn't be able to get one. There's basically no barriers to getting an ID, so finding reasons are difficult.

So minorities, "many among the working class", and students are those you would describe as being "homeless level poor", stupid, or lazy? You might want to keep that to yourself because it's pretty insulting and honestly, racist.

You have yet to describe an actual barrier to voting

So in your mind, the ONLY way a person can get an ID is to take days off of work? Also, what "expensive" documents are you referring to?

Also, how many people in the state would have to drive (something you can't do without a license in the first place) 100 miles to get to a DPS? I'd bet they'd have to drive every bit as far to get to a polling station if they lived in that remote of a location. Sounds a whole lot like making excuses to keep people from proving who they are.

.....so get one. It's 16 bucks.

I disagree. It would still come down to one or all of those things. You have yet to mention an actual barrier other than the one where a handful of people live so far out in the sticks that they'd have to drive, something they couldn't do without a license, 100 miles to a DPS.....which honestly is very likely something you just made up that doesn't actually exist.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL wow. Well maybe you fit into one or more of those categories I mentioned....

I certainly have never had that kind of problem getting a license or ID and i've gone with others who didn't have that kind of problem either....perhaps it was just their "not an idiot" privileged.

That doesn't change the fact that literally any of those times you could be asked for it and denied service if you didn't provide it.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

BTW, assuming you don't have very basic documents, the only "expensive document" you'd need to get an ID is a birth certificate which costs 23 bucks. The other thing is a social security card which is free and some mail to establish residence.

You really are going out of your way to make this seem like jumping through hurdles, but it's REALLY easy for all mentally capable people....unless they aren't legal citizens, then I could see it being difficult.

cml750 likes this.
  14. GladiatoRowdy

LOL wow, an insult, I shouldn't be surprised.

Followed by another insult.

And literally every one of those times, including at the TSA security checkpoint, I didn't need it.

To say nothing about the provisions of these laws you've ignored, those that have nothing whatsoever to do with identification.

15. GladiatoRowdy

Cost for a birth certificate, time off of work, transportation. There are plenty more, but you'll ignore them all, I'm certain your life is blissful that way.

Not accurate, just insulting.

Not "whining," that's just an assumption on your part.

None but the ones you choose to ignore.

Why do you have to toss out two or more insults in every post?

Why do you have to make up straw men, I never said or implied that ANYONE was stupid or lazy, those are your labels which you're likely tossing out as projection.

Good to see that you admit you say racist ****.

You have simply ignored them.

Someone who lacks ID is unlikely to be able to get that situation taken care of during any time other than normal business hours. This pretty much requires taking a day off of work to take care of the situation.

Which is a barrier. They have to find transportation when they aren't allowed to drive.

Look at the court decision that invalidated the Texas law, they talk about it in depth.

Don't worry, I won't test you, it isn't like you'd choose to learn the facts anyway.

I did and it cost a whole lot more than 16 bucks, nice assumption though.

No, it is discussed in the Texas court case, which means it is a fact, which means you are unlikely to accept it, you seem allergic to facts.

16. GladiatoRowdy

Any barrier is too much when you're talking about keeping a legitimate citizen from casting a ballot. It is truly sad that you're against making it as easy as possible for citizens to take advantage of this right.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not an insult, honestly I assume you are lying, but maybe that's not the case. Anyway it's a situation where if the shoe fits....

Again, not an insult. If I said "only an idiot would get lost in their living room" and you chime in with "I once got lost in my living room for 5 years"....I mean, what do you want me to say? Either you are admitting to being an idiot or you are lying. I'm not going to say for sure that it is one or the other, but those are the rational options.

Good for you? I don't know why you seem to think that a random anecdote is relevant in this instance.

You are currently crying your eyes out about the ID requirement, let's not move on to other issues just yet.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Even if it was easy, what is the point? It doesn't accomplish anything

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. I think that reasonable action can and should be taken to ensure that only those eligible to vote get to vote. It's funny, you wouldn't think that requiring ID would be too much to ask for someone to exercise the right to purchase a firearm, but you lose your sh-t when someone suggests that people show ID to vote.

None of those are significant hurdles, and not all of what you said is required. A copy of your birth certificate is 23 bucks and is something everyone should already have anyway and when it comes to taking time off work, that's not necessarily required.....not to mention that there's not that many places you can work without showing them an ID when you get hired......so almost all working class people already have some kind of ID.

Someone who works almost certainly has an ID to begin with, most places won't hire you without one....so keep reaching.

20. GladiatoRowdy

The fact that YOU and the people you've taken to DPS haven't had trouble with the process doesn't in any way indicate that people who have such trouble are "idiots." You just wanted to toss out an insult, likely because of how poorly you view yourself.

Look into a mirror, that's where your problem lies.

But your random anecdotes prove that anyone who has trouble acquiring ID is an idiot. RIIIIIIIIGHT.

You do realize that "discussing" and "crying" are different things and that you're not actually capable of telling whether I am "crying" using this medium, right?

Oh, that's right, you just assume anything you like and pretend that it is true. Nice fictional reality you've constructed there.