1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vote VAN ROWDIES!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by envus22, Jul 20, 2006.

1. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

How much does Van Gundy actually gets paid?, the entire course of his contract.

2. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

That must be the biggest bunch of PR BS I have read in a long time. You really think he is purchasing the tickets? please

3. jaynamocmyhero

JVG did buy these tickets with his own money. I think the name should reflect him and if he's not here next year, the section won't either, right? I think Van Rowdies makes the most sense!!

And it sounds cool too!

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

(1) Read the last few responses. Clearly, it is not "only me" who believes this is a marketing stunt with Mister Van Gundy's name on it.

(2) Why? (a) So Le$ doesn't have to admit his mistake, and (b) so the organization can point at how beloved the guy was when he "steps aside to spend more time with his family."

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, I realize there's literally no hope of convincing you. I guess it was more of a rhetorical question.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

How about "Van Stumpy sucks big donkey balls!"?

8. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

edc and rockets03, how's life going fellas? that bad eh...

9. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

i'm assuming if phil jackson did the same thing in L.a. you wouldn't be questioning whether he paid for them or not :rolleyes: it must suck to be that bitter and full of hatred not to give benefit of the doubt...

10. edc

edc Contributing Member

Rockets-wise? Not good, but not as bad as it has been recently. The end of Mister Van Gundy is visible on the horizon.

That means the tandem of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady (when put in a real offense) might eventually have a chance at succeeding.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

edc,

correct me if i'm wrong, but if this is just a marketing stunt then that makes Jeff van Gundy a liar, either directly through quotes or indirectly via allowing the notion of him buying these tix to continue.

I mean...like any coach.... many home town fans hate him as a coach...but, is he also a liar? Do you think he is a liar?

Answer that, and I'll tell you a story about when I might Jeff van Gundy.

12. Bob

Bob Member

I don't care who paid for the tickets. I know anyone from this board who gets one probably won't turn it down.

I am proud of those from Clutchfans who where in the original Rowdies/Rocket Alert or whatever we called it.

Brian did a great job from the marketing dept.

I hope this turns into a long tradition. I would love to be in the group but could never commit to 41 games. I have to work too many of those nights plus it took me three days to get my voice back. I would buy tickets to that section for a certain number of games. The game is much more exciting around this group than the wine and crackers section.

Is there anyone from the original group that plans to tryout?

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I may not be able to make it to all 41 games either, but I promise that if I am not able to go, I will provide the tickets to Clutchfans members in time for them to get to the game.

14. edc

edc Contributing Member

Liar? That's an awfully harsh term, but if you want to use it for "not telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but," then sure. Maybe Mr. Van Gundy put in $30, or $300, or even $3000, but anywhere near the face value (even the discounted employee value) of those seats? Very, very doubtful.

Professional sports teams tell "mistruths" all the time to their fans for all sorts of reasons. Employees and former employees go along with it all the time, be it a part of their contract, or the equivalent of an NDA.

Repeating three recent examples I mentioned earlier of guys I respect:

(1) Roger Clemens did not make up his mind, sign on the dotted line, and announce it to the public in the space of 36 hours. The publicity machine, including full-page newspaper ad, catchphrase, and public-friendly TV and radio spots would've taken weeks at top speed, and probably closer to a month.

(2) As soon as the league job opened up, it was obvious Charlie Casserly was the frontrunner for the position, and would be leaving the Texans. Still he got up and said with a straight face "Oh, I didn't talk to McNair about it until a few days ago, and no decision was made until this morning."

(3) To this day, Rudy Tomjanovich refuses to admit Le$ fired him. Despite the fact this one seems a condition of whatever agreement they came to, he could probably afford to be a bit more honest about the situation.

#54 edc, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  15. heypartner

I'm not talking about "professional sports teams"....I'm talking about Jeff van Gundy.

edc...what are we talking about? I thought we were talking about JVG.

So, I guess you think he is a liar. Screw what Clemens and our football team did, and forget about bringing Rudy T into this....this is about JVG.

the story,...THIS THREAD...is about JVG's tickets. About the idea that he bought them all...the marketing idea as well. do you or do you not think JVG is lying about paying all dollars on these tickets. Do you think this is a markteting ploy that JVG is going along with where he pays some random amount so the Rockets can say he bought them all.

even if you don't think that is lying....do you think JVG would think that is lying.

Again...answer me that, and I'll tell you a story about meeting JVG in person with his 6yr daughter. it's a fun story.

16. heypartner

btw: is nowhere close to $100/per. If you've ever bought tickets for 50 clutch city members for a game...you'd know that.

17. edc

edc Contributing Member

THIS THREAD is ENTIRELY about professional sports teams, particularly the fact they are a business.

I've said I don't believe (and will not believe without some proof) that Mister Van Gundy paid anywhere near the face value of those seats. Is that lying? I wouldn't call it that. Marketing is all about massaging the truth.

I don't know, and honestly don't care "what the coach thinks." If he doesn't care for the idea, I have no idea why he is "going along with it" as you put it. However, an obvious answer is that there are certainly some publicity obligations in his contract, and this may be tied into those.

18. heypartner

so, it is safe to say that you think Jeff van Gundy is susceptible to lying to season ticket holders and prospective ticket buyers to help the machine make a buck.

so we agree....it is lying....whether it be for sales and marketing purposes...it is lying. and you think JVG would to that as a person.....

oh, and you also still believe the tickets arre $100/per seat.l

19. edc

edc Contributing Member

I was going under the assumption these are "good seats" (regularly $185 or $160 per for season tickets). Allowing 40% discount for an employee and for a group, that works out to $111 or $96 per seat per seat per game.

20. edc

edc Contributing Member

YOU are the one calling it "lying."

I believe it is a marketing scheme. Further organizations tell "half truths" all the time, and good people go along with them for a variety of reasons.

Whether the coach is contractually obligated or not, I believe it says very little about Mister Van Gundy as a person or his personal beliefs.