1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vote of Confidence - Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Apr 20, 2011.

?

Vote of Confidence - Would you keep or fire Daryl Morey

1. "Confident" - I'd keep Daryl Morey

297 vote(s)
    83.2%
  2. "No Confidence" - I'd fire Daryl Morey

60 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

2 back-to-back championships...I think we can all live with that mistake. Oh, please bring back those memorable days...plus the gutsy call with Charles Barkley, Quicken Pippen, and Stevie Franchise with the Cat...

The Heart of a Champion never quits!!!...but Morey quits on this team.

2. deshen

deshen Member

Celtics has a slightly different story, they kept their core interact. How do they look now after they traded Perkins?

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You just mentioned the acquisition of Scottie Quitten as a positive.

I'm done here.

4. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

My point is that Morey has made major changes already. So why now declares that we need CHANGE and fired Adelman.

What is CHANGE for Morey? Rebuilding by tanking is certainly a big change...but that is a proven excuse for failed GMs.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You must not understand what the aquisition at the time was.

Scottie was a HOFer and not a known quitter, I don't understand what your point is. That could never have been ascertained at the time of the signing. Hell , barkley was the one that took a pay cut for him, so go ahead and insult his willingness to do so at first as well. Maybe he should have known he was a quitter and was r****ded for doing so.

6. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Hind sight is 20/20. Faith had the ball bounced of his foot in that playoffs game. The point is that CD tried to put us to next level. We never tried to stop winning NOW.

The Heart of a Champion never quits...but Morey quits on this team!

7. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

1) Ooooooh wow, they got put on the All-Star team! They're freaking awesome then! In reality, Horford's production is pretty much equal to that of Scola and Johnson's production isn't even close to that of Kevin Martin. And Horford and Johnson may be slightly better defenders, but neither is a standout at their position defensively. They're two very good players, but not much, if any, better than anything we got.

2) I was hoping you'd say something about Melo and Billups being on the Nuggets, because they've been better without those guys. A group of role players who were allegedly a step back talent wise have stepped up their game and flourished big time, it's not out of this world to win games without superstars as they have proven the 2nd half of the regular season.

3) Z-Bo is the closest player you mentioned to being a superstar, but he's still not an elite player and is only slightly better than Kevin Martin. Rudy Gay has been out for a while yet that group keeps on winning.

4) The Sixers were just another example of a team that is not more talented than us but still was able to have a pretty good season. They don't have anything close to a superstar and Doug Collins is not an AMAZING coach, yet they still had a record similar to ours.

All Im saying is that we are not as under talented as people make it seem. Lots of teams are able to compete with a core of good but not great players, and merely being able to compete as a coach with those types of players isn't anything THAT special and shouldn't guaruntee a coach his job. Especially when the ultimate goal is to do alot more than just compete for a playoff spot.

8. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

I vote no. He let coach (best asset team has) slip away. You’re trying to build championship team? Well you already have one piece: championship level coach. Give him damn center and team wins more. More wins makes assets become more valuable for superstar trade.

Anyways, I do not like fire or no fire choices. I don't think it's time to fire but at same time I'm not with full confidence.

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I'm going to observe that every single awesome you attribute to CD - he spent money, never tried to rebuild, kept bringing in big name player after big name player - applies to Isiah. Actually, wait. Isiah knew how to draft.

It's knowing what the hell you're doing, and CD didn't. Not to mention he took over in 1996, so he gets no credit for the rings.

10. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

I totally agree with you on that. I guess our disagreement is the job of GM. With CD, we never stop trying to win now...always trading to improve the team. Morey basically quits on this team.

Rebuilding by tanking is a sorry excuse for failed GMs who can't find talents.

11. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

We're in a new generation of basketball, and thus need a new generation GM. Morey is the perfect answer. I'm going to be surprised if he isn't the pioneer of this new generation.

Wipe your tears and stop the knee-jerk reactions, people. Sheesh. For all we know, we could be signing a potentially legendary coach in the near future. Even Adelman had to start somewhere, right?

My $0.02,

shutURbig

12. LandryMegaBeast

if we were in the playoffs now.. the poll would look waaayy different.

For all of you that dont have faith in Morey... id like to see you try and create a winning team after your two best players fall to injuries.

He has completely changed this team, sure he's made some bad moves (rudy gay) but his track record is quite amazing for a GM in his situation.

LMB

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You're right. The Rockets never acquired a ring due to tanking. Olajuwon himself would agree as we acquire him through -

oh wait.

14. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Stockton's 3 pts shot, the ball bouncing off Quicken Pippen's foot...you can't control faith...but you don't give up trying to win big. Morey quits on this team.

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Answer the question. Is Isiah a GM worth emulating as he did exactly what you described? Or Jordan?

And you're acting these were flukes. We were wrecked by Stockton throughout that series, because to that big Barkley trade, we had no one who could do anything to him. And we lost in four games to a team that was promptly swept by the champs in the next round. That's as much progress as the T-Mac led Rockets losing to Utah.

16. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

man... all these fans wanting daryl morey's head should chill out...

i mean... WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?

nobody's perfect...

when he has this team ready to contend - what will all his detractors say then?

17. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Cute but pointless.

The draft has changed since those days especially when Spurs tanked on purpose to get Duncan. If you need to be educated on the draft process, we now have a lottery system which mean tanking does not guarantee any no. 1 pick. So why is Morey putting the faith of this team on a ping-pong ball? Is it because he is a statistician and believe he has a better chance of getting the no. 1 ball?

18. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Fair enough. I understand preferring the win now approach, but I think we can take a step backwards for a year or two without completely tanking and position ourselves very well to contend for a championship pretty soon. In my opinion, this team isn't one or two moves away from instantly contending, so with staying the course and making small additions couldn't have us as a true contender for atleast 2 more seasons. I think if we can bring in the right new system, find and develop a couple young talents, and have a little luck that we can contend from rebuilding in the same time frame.

Rebuilding doesn't necesarilly mean we need to sell off every talented player on the roster for as many draft picks as we can get. But getting maximum trade value for some of our aging players mixed with throwing some playing time at even struggling youngsters to give them a chance to grow into the NBA game will cost us a couple games in the short term, but still keep a fairly entertaining product on the floor while benefitting us greatly long term. We can rebuild without tanking for the #1 pick.

19. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Should've made this a public poll :cool:

So it seems JCDenton has about 400 accounts on this board

20. highlander3128

I may be the miniority, but I like people do sensible and logical things, so I say "Confident".