1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vote NO for Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrBastard, May 22, 2002.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

First of all, if you say we shouldn't judge Ming based on a private workout, etc., Mr. b*stard, you should do the same.

Also, do potential franchise centers grow on trees? Last time I checked they didn't.

Ming is potentially as talented as anyone in this draft and is a center which we need.

Not to mention all the marketing opportunties he provides Les and the Rockets.

My belief is that unless KG, Duncan or someone of that caliber at a frontcourt position is offered I would keep the pick and that Ming.

Do I like Lamar Odom? Sure. In fact I like him a lot. But SF is a lot easier to fill in the NBA and when a potential franchise center comes available you don't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Also, Odom likely can be had cheaper than number 1. I'd try KT, #15, and a future first and the bulls obligation or so. If that's what it would take, which I seriously doubt.

Pole,

We all want the Rockets to win. However, 2 yrs ago without Rice and Griffin we won 45 games in a loaded Western Conference. I firmly believe if we weren't injured all year we would've eclipsed that mark or at worst hit it last year.

What does that mean? It means we aren't a prototypical number 1 team. We are a team capable of a playoff berth as is or at least competing. Therefore, we can afford to take a potentially great risk at a position we desperately need in Ming a lot easier than say the Cavs, or the past Bulls teams with nothing.

Opportunities like this don't come very often and we won't be in the Lottery again for a long time if we stay healthy.

Therefore, unless teams offer stud big men(Pf/C) for the pick, I tell them Thanks, but No Thanks, and let the Ming Dynasty begin.

2. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Its funny how people seem to pass on Ming like the Rockets actually have other options at the 5.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

MrArbitrator, I mean MrBastard - again - Horry was about 3 years older when he entered the league - you did not address that. Plus, his stats were almost the same as Garnett's in his first year - not as Griffin's (Horry = much higher fg %, much less three pointers, less blocks, more steals, more assists = stats like Garnett, not like Griffin). Just goes to prove that a 19-year old has more potential to improve a great deal from his rookie year to the following years than a 22-year old does.

4. Rollinrockets

Rollinrockets Member

I thought it was a great post b*stard. I too am more than a little concerned about all this "potential" we are looking at drafting. I just dont think there will be any way to really evaluate his play. I think the level of competition he faces on a regular basis is not even up to the NCAA that most players in the draft have faced. If we cant even get him here for a workout against quality players...its better just to pass on this "potential" I think. I mean we offered Cato a pretty big contract based on his potential, and while he is sometimes a decent center...he is not a go-to guy, and I doubt he ever will be. I have also been very dissapointed in his touted defensive skills. I think we need someone in the post that is a go-to guy. If we could trade this pick for any superstar quality proven frontcourt help, I would do it in a second. We need defensive help up there too. I would always prefer proven talent over potential any day. Somehow I dont think Ming will turn out to be all that. To me, he sounds like a taller, scrawnier Jason Collier who has lots of baggage coming along with him. If we cant or dont trade the pick and he ends up a Rocket...I sure hope I am wrong and I will gladly eat my words with a side of fried rice.

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Hilarious post, Mr.B. I can appreciate your tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. You have talent - don't be a stranger.