1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voskuhl May be Available - Veteran Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PhilCollins, Oct 13, 2009.

1. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...avslede_13spo.ART.State.Edition1.4bb9487.html

Dallas Mavericks giving long look to three players vying for final roster spot

12:00 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 13, 2009
    By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
    esefko@dallasnews.com
    While injuries pile up, the Mavericks as always are trying to turn a negative into a positive.

JOHN F. RHODES/DMN
    Center Jake Voskuhl (left) and forwards Nathan Jawai(top) and Shawne Williams are candidates for the Mavericks' final roster spot. The lack of healthy bodies gives them no choice but to zero in on specific players – such as the ones fighting for the final roster spot.

They found out Monday that Shawn Marion will be sidelined for a few days to rest a sore calf. Josh Howard and Tim Thomas also are out, and that gives Rick Carlisle and his staff extra opportunities to evaluate players fighting for jobs – actually, one job.

The 15th spot – and yes, the Mavericks figure to carry the maximum amount during this tough economic climate because they have 16 guaranteed contracts anyway – will come down to two players who have shown plenty in training camp and one who isn't even in camp.

Nathan Jawai, the 280-pound bruiser, and Jake Voskuhl, the nine-year veteran who always seems to catch a team's eye, theoretically should be the only players under consideration. But Shawne Williams, who has been told not to be around the team, is guaranteed $2.4 million this season, and that could be a useful chip later in the season if multi-player trades present themselves.

Jawai is guaranteed more than $700,000, and Voskuhl's deal is nonguaranteed.

Bear in mind that Jawai and Williams will cost owner Mark Cuban double, since he is over the NBA luxury tax threshold and will have to play a dollar-for-dollar penalty for being so. If Voskuhl were kept, his salary also would cost Cuban double.

That would suggest that the odds are stacked against the 6-11 Voskuhl. But he hasn't been in the league nine seasons for no reason. He often beats the odds.

"Decisions on roster spots will be based on everything – from contract status to how guys are playing," Carlisle said Monday. "And any assumption that someone without a guaranteed contract would be precluded from making the team would be inaccurate."

Most likely, these players have roster spots secured: Marion, Howard, Thomas, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, Drew Gooden, Erick Dampier, Quinton Ross, James Singleton, J.J. Barea, Roddy Beaubois, Matt Carroll and Kris Humphries.

That leaves one opening.

The coaches have been impressed with Voskuhl, at least partly because he has length that can come in handy against Western Conference big men such as Andrew Bynum, Tim Duncan, Nene and Greg Oden.

The situation with Williams complicates matters. If the Mavericks could reach a buyout with him for less than the $2.4 million he's owed, they would likely do it.

If not, his contract may be kept as a possible chip in future trades. A couple years ago, the Mavericks waived D.J. Mbenga and ended up regretting it when they got the chance to trade for Jason Kidd and had to sign Keith Van Horn to facilitate the deal. Mbenga's contract could have made the deal work, too.

"We'll evaluate guys in camp, and the decisions will be based on how they play," Carlisle said. "Mark's the guy who's going to make the decision, and Donnie [Nelson] and I will give him our recommendations. But he knows who's good and who deserves to be on the team and can help us win."

I don't think Pops has what it takes and Chuck is just too small. Andersen at the 5 just scares me with all the foul trouble. Jake is experienced and can fill the void - he was in Toronto behind CB and in phoenix behind Amare.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Mavs new??? WTF IS THAT DOING IN THE GARM!!! :mad:

:D

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Voskuhl always seemed like a decent player. He has size and is tougher than advertised if I remember correctly. He's certainly tougher than Andersen and bigger than anyone else on the roster.

4. PhilCollins

He is good guy too, local from Strake on Bellaire plus college champiomnship experience. I just think losing Deke and Yao has left us so undersized. A 6-11 guy with experience would do the trick.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He was traded to us before though. From the Spurs for cap space right?

Why would we do it again if it didn't work the 1st time? :confused:

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I still don't quite understand the rationale behind clamoring for stop-gap veterans. Just give the minutes to Dorsey and Anderson and see what they have.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We are not signing another Center unless we cut Joey Dorsey....I doubt we cut him.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed. This strategy seemed to backfire with Barry, Francis and Mike James (to some degree although via trade). I highly doubt Voskuhl would be much of an upgrade over Dorsey, Anderson or Pops. Might as well play the guys you already have.

9. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

As a Strake Jesuit alumni, I'd love to see Voshkul play for the Rockets. Though I wasn't fortunate enough to watch him during his highschool days, he's still considered one of the most successful athletes from Strake Jesuit.

10. PhilCollins

Pops has been rolling around the D league and he still has to make me a believer. Dorsey is finally showing some promise - I was skeptical about him but I have some hope now. Andersen is going to take time to get used to this league - but he is not going to rebound that well in this league imo.

You can't teach size and experience and that's what Voskuhl brings.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Exactly. A smart GM, in this situation, should either make a significant move or evaluate what he's got... none of this half-arsed business.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

We don't exactly have the same lineup at Center was we did the first time he was here. Deke barely played last season. Do you think he would get more minutes this season?

13. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

The Rockets are desperately short on size though. That's one thing Voskuhl has that no other current Rocket has. Atleast he can alter some shots and fill the lane a bit.

This Rockets team is way too undersized and short to not atleast entertain the idea of getting Voskuhl, or someone with height.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Experience as what? An end up of the bench scrub? We have plenty of leadership and great locker room guys with Battier and Scola leading the way. T-Mac too -- when his head is screwed on right.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm sure a significant move would have been made if one was available. What happens if you evaluate what you have and it's crap? Don't you look for a short term solution while your long term answer is recovering from a surgery that should make him more durable when he comes back next season?

16. PhilCollins

well put - Voskuhl is in no way an all star or a permanent fix. Temporary size is needed no matter what way you look at it.

17. joesr

joesr Member

I doubt this guy would give any plus wins from his addition alone to make a difference in a playoff run. I say nay.

18. worzel gummidge

Adelman plays a short rotation and he'll have to beat out Scola, Landry, Andersen, and Hayes for minutes. Voskuhl was a third option signing for Toronto.

19. AXG

AXG Member

This article says nothing about the Rockets. Shouldn't this be in the Dish? And btw, Jake Voskuhl never played for the Rockets. Y'all must be thinking about Jake Tsakalidis.

20. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

If he joins the Rockets, he'll be just like Loren Woods.