1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von's back to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman5803, Jul 9, 2009.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I just don't see Toronto trading Bosh this summer. They just signed a 30-year-old swingman for big bucks (Hedo) and are obviously trying to take a stab at winning next season with a team of Bosh, Hedo, Calderon and Bargnani. In the East (even the improved East), that's a pretty decent core. Add to that guys like Antoine Wright, Devean George, Reggie Evans (all acquired via trade this summer) and a young stud in DeMar DeRozan, and the Raptors may actually be able to make a move in the East. So, no, I don't see the Raptors trading away Bosh unless they come out absolutely flat next year and have a horrible record come February 2010.

Also add the fact that, with "Basketball-Related Income" (or BRI) shrinking, not only will other teams be able to offer less for free agents generally, but "the max" will be considerably less for outside free agents, since the chances of a max free agent getting more than 105% of his 2009-10 salary (which he is allowed to get under the CBA regardless of the salary cap, as long as the new team has enough cap space to eat that salary) are slim to none. Meanwhile, Bosh and others can get 110.5% of his 2009-10 salary by signing with Toronto, plus a 6-year deal (instead of the maximum 5 years he can get signing elsewhere). That adds up to a LOT of money.

Bottom line: With BRI shrinking and the Raptors' recent addition of Hedo, don't count on Toronto trading Chris Bosh this summer.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

BTW - for those complaining about Von being on 3 teams prior to the Rockets etc....we just gave the full MLE type of deal to a guy who has been on 3 teams and had a breakout year.....in Ariza.

The difference is that Von is a better offensive player than Ariza is.......but people are complaining about signing him.

Strange how we are excited by the new shiny object in the stream that we ignore the golden nugget that was put there last year.

Got to think long term here....Von is young, with MASSIVE upside, so is Ariza, get em both !

DD

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't see why that's a bad thing. Von has proven that he

Can't/won't pass
    Don't have good handles
    Bad shot selection
    Unable to play within the flow of the offense
    Can't play defense
    Cares about playing time more than the team in the playoffs
    Is a nutcase

Buddinger and Taylor has both not proven any of these things. They might actually (gasp!) try to play team ball, try to play defense, won't force up shots, etc. etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Wafer last year, because when T-Mac went down we were sorely lacking in guys who could create shots. But in a rebuilding year, Wafer could actually be detrimental to the team in terms of chemistry and blocking younger players.

4. rocket3forlife2

Your making to much sense for people with small brains.

5. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

+++ Personally I like Von as a energy guy off the bench that brings a scoring punch.

--- I do not like the fact that he doesnt get other guys involved, and plays below mediocore defense.

6. rocket3forlife2

Here is your problem.

7. CloneBattier

CloneBattier Member

Yea he can drive to the basket and create his own shot. Good stuff :cool:

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Von brings a tremendous energy off the bench and it would be nice to have him back in the rosters.

9. tharges

tharges Member

Hit it on the nose..........and for 3 million a year is what he is asking for. We could have gotten D.Jones from Denver.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What's even stranger is how people complained for years about not having a SG with size, athleticism, shooting and willingness to go to the rim hard and when we finally get that guy (and have the opportunity to re-sign him) everyone suddenly starts crying about his defense and play-making ability.

If he was a top notch defender and first class play-maker he would be asking for 5 times as much as he is now.

You can't get All Star production and a player with no weaknesses in his game for cheap. That's why they are called role players.

11. rocket3forlife2

Wafer>>>> D.Jones

12. Mashing

Mashing Member

I'd give him 2 mil a year, or perhaps a Shannon Brown deal of 2 years/2.3 million each. No higher really. Unless he proves himself more on the court he's just too volatile to take a chance on yet. However, if he does sign and he plays excellent next year, I'd then give him an extension (and probably a raise).

13. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

I don't think we need him. If we trade Battier, we are going to get some very decent SG who can start. We might keep Battier and start him at the 2 as well, and we have two rooks who can play that position.
    Budinger 4th in ROY voting

14. Egghead

Egghead Member

Hearing Chase Budinger has been impressive at Rockets Summer League practice (Jermaine Taylor not as much, but it's early).

http://twitter.com/clutchfans

Budinger can replace Wafer....same athletic ability.. Budinger is taller and can rebound better..

Would Budinger be a good fit in Houston? From what I saw this season, and from what the scouts have said about him, I could definitely see him in a Rockets uniform. He's got range, is one of the best athletes in the draft, and can, unlike Von Wafer, rebound from the two-guard positon.

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2009/6/4/899278/draft-thoughts-2-0-could-budinger

15. BugOnAHarley

BugOnAHarley Contributing Member

I would like to see Waferman back in red.

[​IMG]

16. giggity12345

giggity12345 Member

Yeah actually it'd be really cool if C-Bud proved that he was first round worthy and won the starting spot on the team. Our lineup would be bigger and he would be a better rebounder than Wafer. I say let Wafer go, he puts up zero stats besides points.
    Question is though, C-Bud at 2 and Ariza at 3 or vice versa?

17. Egghead

Egghead Member

C Bud at the 2 and Ariza at the 3 sounds right

18. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

I feel violated and abused, like i've been used.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

With AB at the helm, you know how FAST that team would be? Heck, put shane at the 2, C Bud at 3, Ariza at 4, you got a team that can run. The defense would give up like 130 a game, but I think we'd score just as much.

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

PLEASE DD

You're better than this

yes Ariza was on the Knicks, Magic and the Lakers before signing with the Rockets but

He was drafted by the Knicks, TRADED to the Magic and then TRADED to the Lakers...you could say he was traded because he wasnt wanted but he was a minor piece in the trade that sent him to orlando for francis and the lakers traded FOR him rather than the magic trading him away.

Wafer on the other hand was drafted by the Lakers...RELEASED, picked up by the Blazers....RELEASED and then by picked up the Nuggets and RELEASED

(not sure the order if denver picked him up first or what)

There is a huge difference between being traded and being released. Ariza has never been out of the league since he has been drafted, Wafer has been out of the league on 3 separate occasions by 3 different teams.

If you think somehow those two players share similar pasts than thats just you because their pasts are completely different

Von is the better offensive player he can score in bunches but clearly thats not all thats is needed for a team to win otherwise he wouldnt have been released 3 different times, Ariza is the more complete player and actually knows what a passing is and working within an offensive system is.

I am not sure if Von has "MASSIVE" upside as you say Von is a headcase i mean stromile swift had and still has "MASSIVE" upside but you can see where that has gotten him