1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von's back to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman5803, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I just don't understand the fascination with Von.

He's bounced around the league for a reason. We saw it when Adelman sent him to the locker room. During the playoffs. The playoffs!

I hope we don't spend much than the minimum for him and I hope it's not guaranteed.

I think the chances of Von being in the D-leagues or Europe in three years are higher than him being a contributor on an NBA team.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

dude, he rocks a 'hawk. what else is there to understand?

3. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Agree. What is the rush in signing Wafer. He is not a hot commodity that teams are lining up to sign him. Get a center then if anything is left then make another pitch at Von. If He refuses then it is his lost.

4. aristophanes34

Von will never be more than a guy that can give you some bench scoring every other night or so, but I agree. For the right price, I would love to see him back.

Hey, as long as we are exploring the ridiculous... Why not call up the X-Man and see what he is up to?

[​IMG]

He could add some of the toughness and that gangsta thug passion we lost with the departure of Artest.

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Exactly, I think the playoff meltdown has hurt the guy big time. I remember Morey saying something along the lines the Jermaine Taylor has a more well rounded game compared to Von.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nah, if this were my thread it would have been merged.

;)

And obviously I support bringing Von back.

The fascination with the guy is that he is the best athlete on the Rockets, scores at an efficient rate we have not had in a SG in years.....and goes all out, all the time.

So, what, if he got sent to the locker room because he wanted to play....GIVE ME guys who want to play over guys who don't care every day of the week.

Melo got taken out too, btw....

Von is exactly the type of player we need now, young, athletic and a chance to grow with Brooks, Landry, Ariza, Lowry and company......

Sign him....STAT !

DD

7. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I hate Von..rather give chance to this years batch of rookies

8. franchise?..NOT

We can do better. What if Taylor is better. How is Mr attitude going to like being a back up to a guy who is not a superstar and a rookie to boot?

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

See this is mind numbing.....what did he do to make you hate him?

The guy scored 10ppg in about 19mpg....and shot 44% overall and 40% from 3pt range....those are not good numbers, those are EXCELLENT numbers.

Yet, you are willing to let a guy who has finally PROVEN himself in the NBA, just walk and take a shot at two 2nd round picks who have never stepped foot on an NBA floor.

Mind numbing is not strong enough.

DD

10. rocketshopeful

bring him back if the price is reasoanable. more competition is a good thing, especially for young players.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Thats my take. I don't see Morey overpaying him and I wouldn't be surprised if he were signed for a few dollars more than the minimum.

12. Precision340

Precision340 Member

tmac, is that you?!

13. Precision340

Precision340 Member

you don't see defenses like that anymore

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

ESPN

Morey also has to make a decision on free-agent guard Von Wafer, who made $797,581 last season. Wafer may be the odd man out after the additions of Ariza and draft-night acquisition Jermaine Taylor.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

bbring him back if for no other reason than to hope he can repeat last years performance and can become a nice bargaining/trading asset.... in typical morey fashion.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm with you on this. At this point, with Yao out, it's about assets. If Taylor and/or Budinger is better than Wafer right now, they'll show it on the practice floor, and Adelman will adjust. But Wafer's speed is rare and a game-changer, and given the Yao situation, Morey needs every asset he can get. Bring Von back. There will still be leftover room with the MLE to add a center or sign one of the second-rounders.

17. VictorB

VictorB Member

I'd bring him back for 3yrs/6mil (with the last year being a team option). I don't understand the people saying that you think Taylor can take his place. We know for a fat that Wafer can come in and be effective for us. Taylor hasn't proven anything, we are not even sure he'll make the team. If you can get Wafer for what DM thinks is a good deal then you need to sign him.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

See, this is a sensible post, a guy who understands what the team is doing, and what asset management is all about.

A lot of people could learn a lot from this post.

Rep for you Cat !

DD

19. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

3 yr 5 million, 4th year a team option of 2.5million and a 5th year qualifying offer of 3.5million.

that'll make him play

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I have to agree with this. If the price is right and you can afford him, then you bring him back. The fact is if any of our rookies put up the numbers Wafer put up last year then we would be drooling all over them. Last season he was a very efficient scorer, and we do need some scoring at the SG position.