1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von's back to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman5803, Jul 9, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He looked good....those players that Budinger was making those plays against were NOT NBA level players.

DD

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I am very careful to put to much stock in summer league but he did have a fine game kinda gets you excited to see what he can do vs good competition.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I said myself that Wafer is 1 dimensional. Still, all the stuff about he's got this rotten non-team approach and cant do this and that, I'm thinking this kinda analysis picked up steam from the Battier/Gay debates trying to boost Battier and slight Rudy Gay. Now we value "intangibles" and IQ and team play, and young athletic guys lack focus and only care about scoring are the fabric of whats bad for a team...

Its a nice thing to have a GM like Morey who you can trust to bring in other talent alternatives, instead of how it was throwing all the money at a guy who you were easily impressed by, cuz you really dont see talent emerge on your team often. Still, Wafer guy produced when he had to. Seeing the 3 ball go through the net alot and driving hard to the rim is tangible stuff to me?

What did Shannon Brown do to be a considered a keeper that Wafer didnt? I'm trying to see some basketball sense here, but I guess it really comes down to putting Wafer at fault for not making himself an acceptable enough player possibly from outside the basketball court.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Landry was restricted. Completely different deal. Restricted free agents (other than maybe the big name guys coming off rookie deals) usually don't get sorted out until August or September.

Von is unrestricted. His situation ought to be sorted out by the end of the month. If not, then the market for him obviously isn't as strong as we thought.

5. brooksrox

brooksrox Member

How can you possibly say this when Chase has not played a single NBA match? What he has is potential, but it would be very risky to let Wafer go and make Budinger a starter. IMO he should be eased into the league by starting on the bench.

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Get back to me the next time that either Taylor or Budinger hit a game winning shot against the defending champs.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Anyone who thinks anybody from the summer league roster for the Rockets is better than Von Wafer is crazy.... that's all I gotta say. If nobody gets it from that statement... you don't know anything about Houston Rockets basketball.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

He didn't get throw out of a playoff game by his coach, but Streetball did. How many Rockets have ever had that happen?

1 person likes this.
  9. B1llzzz

B1llzzz Member

I hope he comes back

10. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Wafer has shown he can play against NBA players, but its his attitude I worry about. He HAS to have the ball in his hands in order to make a impact offensively.

Taylor is basically Wafer with a wider frame and taller.

Budinger, while not the lateral athlete Wafe or Taylor is, can still run the floor with the best of them and he can play a similar role to Tracy-that is, playing the pick and roll where he can see over the defense and make good, sound passes, or he can come of screens and shoot it. The elite athletes in the league will give him trouble, but I think he will be counted on to come off the bench to provide firepower and he should adequate enough defensively, based on what I have seen of him against top Pac 10/ college athletes the past three years at Arizona.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

People who think Budinger+Taylor>Won Wafer are stupid... They haven't played at the NBA level, and its not because they are doing good in SL that it will translate to the NBA. Check out Donte Greene..

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

My only problem with Von is that when the Rox needed him the most in game 2 he let his emotions get the better of him and thats troublesome to me personally. He did show tons of potential but everyone needs to remember a year ago he was in the same place White, Buddinger and Taylor are now which is trying to make a team and proving himself. If Orlando offers more then 2 million id say goodbye.

13. logicx

logicx Member

Thank you.

14. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

He hit one winning shot this season during the regular season. And, it was after all after this epic play:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kIcWuqacoo8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kIcWuqacoo8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm not saying the second round picks are better, but there are a lot of guys in the league that can average 10 a night playing one side of the ball...

15. Art7

Art7 Member

smooth
    u can also youtube lebron getting owned by rim
    kobe getting owned by rim
    ?

16. Art7

Art7 Member

oo no u cant
    lebron took that off too

it was posted on clutchfans while back
    after that game when all laughed at wafer for that missed dunk

17. B1llzzz

B1llzzz Member

Get it done morey

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Do we still have enough to sign him now that we picked up Andersen? We have to cut some guys though. Barry, Cook, White?

19. Aussie_Fozzey

Aussie_Fozzey Member

Keep Cook for his contract and james white so we can have one highlight this season (him in the slam dunk comp)
    and let brent join his brother Jon in television :)