1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Von's back to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman5803, Jul 9, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

On this team, without Yao, and the situation they are in, I would start Von and Ariza...

DD

2. logicx

logicx Member

Indeed, I think you are misunderstood, therefore, I will be after this post as well, but oh well.

I think Von has SuperStar/AllStar talent as well, but not all of the talents and characteristics of a SuperStar/AllStar yet. Make since? Well, who cares.

Meaning, I don't think he has the BB IQ right now that a SuperStar/AllStar would, or the judgment/decision making skills he would need. But, I don't think Von has reached his ceiling, either. I think he has some freakish speed, a good shot, and some definite hops.

Let the flames begin.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Others have handled the nonsense of the top 3 pick reference.

Additionally, I believe you are wrong in thinking that Von has "found himself." He just found himself in the ideal position, at the best point in time during the season. Given any extended length of time in the lineup we would most likely see the tendencies that have jettisoned him from every team he has been a part.

The kid got thrown out of a playoff game by Rick Adelman. Players coach, Rick Adelman, for chrissakes. Rick Adelman of the infinite patience.

Von seems to think he is as big a star as you think he is...

This does not speak well to his mental aspect of the game, which is probably why he has played for six teams in four years.

I sincerely hope I am wrong.

4. logicx

logicx Member

Yeah, I've often wondered about that. Is he overly-emotional? Does he have some weird thing going on in his head? I don't know. I've heard those things hinted at.

5. Chinesekid123

Chinesekid123 Member

I would love to see a line-up of Brooks, Von, Ariza, Landry, and Scola. (Sorry battier, but i think you are getting traded :D ) with the combination of Adelman motion offense. With these players, you get heart, competition-at its MAX, and speed. It will be awesome :cool:

6. logicx

logicx Member

That's a short squad. I would cry.

7. Chinesekid123

Chinesekid123 Member

Heart will always win over height. Never underestimate the heart of an champion

8. Chinesekid123

Chinesekid123 Member

Next year, we will be with the lights of Phoenix, Golden State, and New York.

Yet, we will try on the defensive side

9. logicx

logicx Member

Maybe in a game or two. There are about 82 games in a season. That just doesn't work.

No center. No bueno.

Surely you jest.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

So what?

This happens in the NBA all the time, Melo had it happen THIS year.....Von is competitive, he wants to play, he will learn his lesson, he is young.

I don't attach any negative to that at all, as a guy who has managed many many people with varying egos......it is just not that big of a deal...you discipline and you move on......

JVG kicked people out too, hell, he kicked TMAC out of the Golden State game for lolligagging....big deal.

Von is a young player, he knows he is playing for a contract, for his future, and that shots in the NBA do not come for everyone....sometimes it takes the right situation for a player to show his skillset.

Von finally got it...think about it for a minute.....which player is better, 1st round pick Luther Head, or Von Wafer?

Sometimes, it takes a little bit of seasoning to get it....Von is on the cusp of what he can be......it would be beyond STUPID to let him go to another team and find that out.

DD

11. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Did you watch the LA series?

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

They had heart and height.

DD

13. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Bottom line, I'll be furious if Morey doesn't find a way to secure Von for 2-3 years. He has many of the tools to be a dominant 2 guard in the league: raw athleticism, shooting touch, explosive attacking ability to the rim. He lacks great court vision and he occasionally stands around on the defensive end of the court, but Adelman and the staff can work on both of those attributes. He provides a jolt of energy, and plays with swagger and confidence. I could realistically see Von averaging 15 or 16 points/game next season in extended minutes, but he has the ability to erupt for 25 or 30 on any given night. I'd like to see him start alongside Ariza in a fast paced offense with Brooks in the driver's seat. We may have a rising star in Von, and it would be a real shame to let him sign a multi-year contract with a squad like the Bobcats.

1 person likes this.
  14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

This is EXACTLY how I feel.

DD

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm concerned that someone like Sasha Vujacic could shut him down so easily. A good player doesn't let that happen. Sasha isn't exactly known for his defense.

16. logicx

logicx Member

Correct. We pretty much just had heart.

Heart vs. Heart & Height

The latter wins.

17. logicx

logicx Member

That doesn't worry me so much. Von hadn't been playing a lot, at that point. I think that was just a new strategy to throw Von off his game, and it worked, but it's something he could easily work around. They were just rushing/crowding him, that's it.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

So, DD, why do you think Von has played for six teams in four years?

I'll agree ahead of time that it had nothing to do with his physical skills.

19. B1llzzz

B1llzzz Member

i agree

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He has played for 4 teams in 4 years (never played for clippers)

Ariza has been on 3 teams in 5 years and 4 if you count the rockets

only difference is that Ariza has never averaged as many points as Von