1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von Wafer's Passion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by airbulllard, Mar 10, 2009.

1. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

i must say, i love the way Von plays. he really plays like someone that's been dying for some playing time, desperate to contribute and help a team win. energy energy energy.

i love his emotion on the court. he'll take it very personally if he misses his shots, and he gets very fired up after dunks and scores. he also gets pretty fired up about foul calls against him. but regardless, he has the same face where he kind of scowls and balls his fists together, haha. it's hilarious. sometimes he looks really down when things aren't going well, which isn't good.. but he's relentless about trying to score, and he'll keep going until adelman pulls him, which is RA's job. Von will do what he's told, and adelman will control the game.

some people here criticize him and label him as a chucker and volume shooter, but honestly, do you think he goes into the game and just throws up shots against the game plan? i truly believe that adelman and the coaching staff must constantly be in his ear, telling him to use his athleticism and speed, and get to the rim or get off his shot jumpshot. you always see yao going over to encourage Von to keep shooting even after a miss. he's a shooter. we know he can shoot. he can't be hesitant when open.

the camera caught Von's face last night as the rockets were shooting free throws down the stretch, and the look of concern and care on his face was awesome. worrel commented that it looked like Von might throw up.

he's been in a shooting slump lately, but hopefully vonhawk breaks out of it soon and we see some more exciting play from my favorite non guaranteed training camp invitee turned bench spark plug.

[​IMG]

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, I just wish he would stop shooting the ball and take it to the rack...

3. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

The dude is electric.

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

you seriously picked the WORST picture lol, not von in his best image, i like him when he is on fire, but he shoots way too much, and jumps in the air without anywhere to go and ends up taking a bad shot, he's athletic, but he's got to take better/smarter shots, even though he's capable of making some crazy ones

5. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

He just has to make better decisions. Which, I'll say, he's been better about. He seems to stay more in the confines of what the D gives him. He'll flourish if he can do that.

I do appreciate his energy and passion he seems to have. I mean, he's gotta be loving it. He is finally in the rotation of a good team. Of course he's going to eat it up and be in the moment(s).

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he's our vernon, though obviously not on the same level (yet, at least)

i enjoy it. he will piss me off sometimes, but i'm glad he's around

7. Ashes

Ashes Member

I like him.

8. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Agree completely. With the right tutelage, he has the potential to be an excellent bench player for years to come. I'm looking forward to his future with this organization, even if I'm a little frustrated with his decision making in the present.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

between carl, lowry, and von we have alot of energy off the bench, and when we need to calm down we can put in brent who can control the tempo and run the offense as a bigger guard...i really hope we do well in the playoffs, brent left SA which is almost guaranteed to win the championship this year (THE ODD YEARS HAVE YET TO FAIL) he thought we had the best chance and i hope we pull it out

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Von Wafer = poor man Mario Elie?

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Oh man, I wish we had a bench like this previous to this season. But it is what it is. We have them now, and I'm glad. I still see plenty of room for improvement, I really hope they can do that. Their post season depends on it.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

What scares me about this kid is he's been labeled to have attitude issues. He's been bounced around the league and even the D-League. I hope that the people who label him are wrong, but i do keep an open eye to it.

I think his love for the game is amazing, and I think in a lot of ways his energy and dynamic help recharge the bench when the starters look deflated. I could never see him being a starter tho.

13. cujo

cujo Member

I dont know how anyone can not like Von Wafer or anyone else on this team right now. They are playing as a team. Wafer is dong what the coach wants him to do which is to be aggressive on offense. He is in a shooting slump at the moment, but I am sure we will see his high jumping threepointers back to form by playoffs.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he just needs to stop chucking up bad shots when he has open teammates waiting for the pass......i count at least 3 possessions a game where he fails to make the right pass and shoots himself.....i'm not sure if it's just being selfish or his court vision just sucks...

15. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

I think that Von Wafer is too anxious most of the time. But personally, I like the fact that he agressively looks to score. I don't really see it as jacking up shots. That's how you keep the defense on its toes... by staying agressive. He does need to learn to keep things calmer though... this would lead to better decision-making. A more controlled aggressiveness would be better.

16. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

You must master your rage or your rage will become your master.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ive played with guys like Wafer in my high school days. I spent a lot of time in the post yelling either "pass the $#$# ball" or "give me that $#$% ball" or "your not as good as you think you are".

He brings what we need though. I like his intensity.

18. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

At least he better than an injured Tmac. He should take it to the hole and finish strong or at least draw fouls instead of jacking 3 in transition.

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

He plays like he only gets a couple minutes every few games. Meaning he is shooting way too much, and taking bad shot selections. He should know by now that he is going to be getting playing time, so he just needs to relax. He will get more PT if he plays better team ball.

20. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

I agree with the OP about that camera shot when AB was shooting the free throws, I loved it.