1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nuggets4, Dec 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I'll fully admit I haven't seen a lot of you guys this year, but I was pleasantly surprised to see Von get some playing time last night. I know the Nugs coaching staff was pretty high on him and he was a hard worker. I've looked over the numbers, but they aren't telling too much. How do you guys think Von has done so far this season for you?

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Good size, streaky shooter, goes to the basket well, and is one hell of an athlete.

It's everything in between that is still in question.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

He had some nasty dunks the other night. He should take it to the basket more, and take less jump shots. That boy is quick.

4. redao

redao Member

should be cut soon.

he can not shoot, create or defend.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Sounds like Brent Barry this year.

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Very good player IMO. Needs more time.

7. kinderegg

kinderegg Member

I wanna see him more. He shoots well and she can drive to the basket. Thats so important considerint we do NOT have anyone who can attack the basket. Ron gets blocked or just missed the layup. Rafer? Watch him driving is a pain and Ive seen him blow up the fast break layup many times.
    However Wafer tends to turn the ball over lately. So he cant create/pass, meaning we need someone who can create and pass then hes a good finisher.

8. kinderegg

kinderegg Member

You are definitely correct. I dont think he/she has seen many rockets game.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Wafer shot lights out in pre-season which is why he's on the team. He put on quite a show. Lately, his shot is off but his energy and athleticism bring something to the table. He needs playing time to get better and he won't get it on the Rockets.

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Great? I mean yeah, he has had some worse game but come on, who doesn't have them. He is a young Brent Barrye who can hit his 3s and can really attack the rim. I was impressed with that Dunk against Denver.

11. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

I watched the Nuggets broadcast on League Pass, and the announcers credited their trainer with helping to get Von some extra inches on his vertical and to get quicker. Apparently he's become more athletic since previous seasons and that has helped him this year.

It seems to me he just needs experience. He does seem indecisive at times.

12. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

That's the problem he was facing in Denver too. Do you think you'll move him or will he be bench insuarnce this season?

13. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

From what I have seen since his shot has ben off is he doesn't use his speed enough. That move to the basket last night reminded be of Dickerson. IMO he needs to shoot his shot within the game and not force it up, but he needs to force his speed in every game, and learn how to initiate some foul contact. He is way too fast for a lot of the bench guards he sees in a game.

14. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

He needs to drive the basket more. He had some beautiful drives last night (all topped off by that sick dunk).

He needs to settle for jump shots less and drive to the hoop more. He seems a little hesitant at times.

15. sweetbobl

sweetbobl Member

Wafer has all the athletic skills and even his defense has been a pleasant surprise. The biggest problem is that he needs to move better without the ball on offense to get himself open. If he doesn't have the ball, he stands around. He looks like a great pure shooter, great 1st step, amazing athleticism and good attitude. I'd hope that a Rocket veteran would teach him how to move without the ball but isn't that this team's entire problem? When this team moves without the ball, they win. When they don't, they lose. It's pretty simple.

16. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Seems like post #3 already covered that :D

17. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

I doubt we will move him, unless Morey gets a good offer. He has been playing well in the limited minutes he's had. He is a streaky shooter and when he is on, he is ON. For a team like us that shoots numerous wide open threes, he is valuable to us. I am also pleasantly surprised by that dunk yesterday. He needs to do that more often. He has been a pretty good bench insurance for us.

He still needs to learn a lot, improve his defense and know how to get to the right position at the right time, but all these come from playing. It's kind of a bad situation for him that he won't get many minutes here. I'm hoping that he will improve to the point that he can crack our rotation.

18. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Hey, I don't critique your #ucking posts.

Just kidding.

19. faraza84

faraza84 Member

does anyone have that dunk he did against denver, i was at a wedding so i missed out. but ill try to youtube it anyways.

20. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

J R Smith is better than Von Wafer in everything.

The Rockets was stupid, got Kirk Snyder instead of JR Smith a couple of seasons ago.