1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von Wafer Appreciation Thread - Playoffs Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Honestly, I like Von Wafer.

I think at times people are over hyping him or expecting legendary performances, but the guy is hard worker and great young player.

But last night, he was superb for the majority of his minutes and I had to finally admit that the nickname Super Von (at least last night) was well deserved. He is coming along with his defense as well, which is great to see.

2. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

All I have to say is we BETTER sign him in the offseason.

3. mrc

mrc Member

his jump shot looks ugly but very efficient.
    his breakthrough is explosive but not....emmm...smooth(? can't find a proper word).

practice ur dribbling & defence, then u can kick #24's ass.

4. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Nah, but you can get a personalized one with his name on it.

5. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

No doubt, Ron can't even drive to the basket anymore and is losing what little athleticism he had, on defense we all saw Roy just torch him time and time again. I believe we should sign and trade him.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Everything went downhill after the 2nd dunk. He really needs to learn how to calm down.

I'm starting to think Ron is rubbing off on Von.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Like I said, tonight, Wafer was Rafer in Satan mode.

Graduated from the John Starks shooting academy.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

Von needs to calm down and let the game come to him.

He gets out of control way too much, but this is his first time being in a major role on a team and it just happens to be a playoff team so he is learning on the fly.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Von can show some patience and read the situation it will make his job considerably easier.I like it when he takes to the hole but even more when he looks to pass.

10. NafeesLACC

NafeesLACC Member

Rafer had a +8, and when the Rockets made the run to give them a lead in the 1st half, he made some spectacular plays, but in the beginning of the 4th he was making some bad plays, if battier didn't produce with pts tonight, it could have hurt.

11. NafeesLACC

NafeesLACC Member

meant to say WAFER

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Carry Von my Wafer son
    There'll be peace when you are done

(I talways thought Walt Williams was a good professional swingman)

Rudy Fernandez has alot of big game international experience and it shows in his approach. Wafer literally got picked up the other day from the hardscrabble turf and is almost supposed to be this team's version of Manu Ginobili. Doing a decent job so far.

13. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

JVG and even Mark Jackson made some good points that put him in his proper place.

Jackson said at one point "Wafer can keep his team and the other team in the game". Haha... so true.

14. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

Von is a bit one dimensional, good drive, decent shooting game, athletic, poor decision maker and defender. He's a great pickup for his contract, but needs to do some work to be more than just a roleplayer.

15. roksoer

roksoer Member

he had the best +/- last night

16. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

I like Wafer's energy and passion. :D

17. AGBee

AGBee Member

To paraphrase Tropic Thunder, Wafer needs to tone it down sometimes. You can't win going full r****d.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

With Wafer you have to take the good with the bad. His offensive explosion in the first half was inspiring; his implosion in the second half was distressing. At least he comes to play all out all the time and he is obviously not intimidated by the playoff's atmosphere. He is a valuable asset. I can just hear opposing players when he comes in, "oh no, here is that Wafer guy." He is like the "Mad Bomber," you never know which team he is going to blow up.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

wafer is a horrible defender. this cannot be stressed enough. simply by watching von wafer play defense have i gained a new appreciation for shane battier. i'm dead serious. i have never seen an nba player get lost in screens as easily as von wafer. if i were an opposing nba coach, i would attack him every trip down the court.

with that said....

you absolutely have to continue playing this man heavy minutes. we don't have the luxury of running on 4th and long. you can't take the conservative approach. the only way this current version of the houston rockets can win is by overwhelming their opponents with waves of talent/energy. they don't have the superstar talent to play it safe like they tried in years past. you have to take the good with the bad. there will be nights, like last night, when von wafer will look absolutely terrible. but there will be other nights when he will really give you that extra boost. shane can cover for alot of mistakes, and having yao makes it an absolute necessity to have athleticism on the court.

i liken him to stephen jackson in the title year with the spurs. talented, but volatile, and extremely low basketball IQ. but they kept playing him because they needed him.

20. ebu

ebu Member

I agree!!! People are bandwagoning again....

no one was saying anything about him playing bad when he had 21 points in the last game...everyone is entitled to their good and bad games

ok Wafer made 3 field goals, but two of them were PASSIONATE and getting the crowd involved with those dunks!!! u gotta love that!!!! :D