1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Volunteering

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CometsWin, Jun 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Can anyone recommend a good org or charity from personal experience that needs volunteers? West or Northwest side? A few hours per week. Thanks.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

What is this for?

3. CometsWin

Just have free time I'd like to spend doing something useful rather than posting here. Haha

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Then I strongly recommend against volunteering. Volunteer your time for CF, breh! We family! Don't leave your family!

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

keegan kitchen! always a blast, lots of cool people/groups to meet and it always feels good at the end hearing how many meals you all prepared. you work in shifts, 8-12 or 1-5. you can register here.

1 person likes this.
  6. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

If you can handle it, suicide prevention hotlines and things similar to that are always looking for help.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Many, many, many, many a year ago, I volunteered at the Houston Food Bank. I don't know if it's still where it was, but be prepared to work if you volunteer for manual labor. lol. Worked my butt off and felt good about it, dammit! :grin:

8. Classic

Classic Member

I did some meals on wheels one summer, good experience.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My Significant Other has been doing Meals on Wheels through her office for years. I think she does one Friday a month, or every couple of weeks. It's a great organization, and the people you deliver food to are very grateful. I think it'd be an excellent choice.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The Public Library takes volunteers, and they have great air-conditioning. :)

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I thought the judge usually determines what court ordered volunteer work you have to do?

2 people like this.
  12. CometsWin

Anyone else?

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Houston Food Bank

14. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I've volunteered through the Interfaith Ministries of Greater Houston (https://www.imgh.org/) for about 8 years doing a weekly Food for Seniors and AniMeals (pet food for Seniors w/ pets) delivery. They are a great organization and also have some other volunteering opportunities available.

15. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q9eDwHznMas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It all depends on what you are interested in doing. If you like carpentry and working with your hands Habitat for Humanity is pretty good. Otherwise if you like being outside but don't have any skills their are always opportunities to do roadside and park clean up.

17. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Houston food bank is cool, but not on the west/northwest side. If you like working with animals CAPS is always in need of volunteers. It's right off of I10 by Kirkwood

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Do you even lift? Lol

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Habitat for Humanity is always looking for people, and it's incredibly fulfilling knowing that you provided shelter for someone in need.

20. Antec

Antec Member

I need a volunteer to come clean my house and my garage. You down?

I will write you a really really good recommendation letter that will land you any other volunteer position you would want in the future.