1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Volume shooters - who can't shoot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Member

SF, SG and PG all r so bad scorers. Damn it. We need TRADE.

2. leebigez

leebigez Member

I guess it will take to the end of the season before people realize this. You saved me a lot of effort.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

but notice, most of the threads and posts are about us not getting "the offense." despite that, we're shooting better as a team than previous years, a very good % of our 3s, and one of the best in fts.

sure our 4th quarter execution can be better (and that can happen if adelman just turn back the block and run some other plays). but defense is the main reason we're under-achieving, not offense.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

PPG stats are worthless unless you factor in pace and number of possessions.

DD

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

ok. we're shooting 44.4%, which is a decent % consider the # of injuries that we've sustained. we shoot 37% from 3s, which is pretty good if you ask me. and we're one of the best ft shooting teams in the L.

with more time, i'm sure that 44.4% will go up. offense is something you can improve midway through a season and turn up a notch simply b/c we have the talent and we've shown glimpses (like 3 quarters at a time) of doing so. we just need to be more creative in the 4th and we're good to go.

defensively??? i don't see one bit of improvement yet. our perimeter defense is porous and our interior defense is softer than cheese.

but my problem is: defense can easily be solved for a little bit (interior wise) with playing mutombo. THAT'S IT.

6. leonking

leonking Rookie

35-84
    29-77
    31-76
    40-91
    45-83
    35-72
    34-87
    49-100
    37-77
    35-72
    29-82
    41-81
    36-90
    42-77
    37-85
    37-86
    34-81

17 game without TMAC oppg-44.6%

33 game with TMAC oppg-45.6%

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

and that's a big difference? we gave up our season high 60% to the hawks WITHOUT tmac.

and we all know tracy is not moving right. we all know artest is not moving right. or battier.

all that can be solved at least for now with playing deke. he erases a lot of mistakes made on the perimeter.

8. joesr

joesr Member

DD, you've officially been punk'd on this thread making. I'm joking with ya...but not really! :)

9. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Yeah, but the average over all those games is clearly lower without T-Mac than with him, regardless of variation over a single game.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

yes, his presence allows OJ mayo to bust 32 on us. when the game was on the line, his presence allows OJ mayo to slice through the lanes and drop buckets on us in the paint. the omnipotent tracy mcgrady that is all wrong with the rockets.

right on my brother.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I never said defense was not a problem, in fact I said it was a problem in the FIRST POST....IN THE FIRST LINE OF IT I SAID !!!

But this is a thread about how badly our perimeter players are shooting the ball.....

It just got derailed by a few guys stuck like a record.

Sure D is a problem...no argument from me....but so is the O.

DD

12. joesr

joesr Member

while rudy gay on the other hand was being locked up by he who goes by truwarier

13. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

If T-Mac was omnipotent he might actually be able to defend somebody. It shouldn't surprise anybody that T-Mac is lousy on defense--good D is mostly a matter of effort and even T-Mac's fan club admits he coasts during the regular season.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

i proclaimed he's been beyond atrocious on D. there's no fan club here. watch the game. but the fact is tracy is not the only one playing bad defense. maybe you need to stop drinking the haterade and open up your eyes.

yes he sucks on D this year. but hey, everyone else is subpar this year too. everyone needs to start getting better. tracy defending better is not going to improve much if others don't.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Don't you think team shooting % will go down now that McGrady and Artest are back?

16. joesr

joesr Member

lol, hey now no need to start yelling. last year our offense wasnt good but defense was 2nd I believe in the NBA for PAPG. now our offense is a bit better but the defense has worsen and a big difference it has made.

Now us as a fan hate it when our shooters miss wide open shots but coachs like it (not actually missing it but the shooting it part) it helps keep pressure on them later. I believe this is the main reason for the horrible letting cold players continue.

17. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

No effort on defense and the team defense breaks down. It's the exact same issue with the motion offense--you can't have just four guys playing it.

Frankly I give effort a lot of weight. Wafer might be learning how to play defense but he runs at everybody. He never takes a night off.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

tracy is improving every game. he just needs to improve his 4th quarter play. he's been ending 3 quarters with around 50% shooting. it's his poor 4th quarter play that is pulling his fg% down every game.

artetst, idk. he doesn't like passing and love shooting over 2 guys.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

even jon feign talks about tracy's better effort on D. his individual D is getting better. his team defense is actually pretty good (he blocked a few shots last night). but him going through screens is horrendous and thats expected with his knee. but at least he's closing out on guys, which he didn't do before.

20. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Wow he's in such great physical basketball shape in that video and much more energetic than his current state. Man, I would kill for that Tmac again.