1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Visiting New York City

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by juicystream, Nov 10, 2014.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Definitely wear steve madden or you might get clowned by some hoodrats and then you might have to join the slapahoe tribe.

2. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Just to let you know, the NYSE no longer has any tours available, you can walk around the financial district but there's not too much to see.

Central Park should be nice, just be mindful of how cold NYC is around when you are coming. This also kind of applies to a lot of things ie. Top of the Rock, Statue of Liberty. It should definitely be more of an indoor trip if possible and in NYC it's very possible to do.

The Lincoln center is definitely worth the trip if only to see the area, definitely recommended even if you decide not to see anything. (If you have an old student ID and you are willing to use it you can get 2 student rush tickets for ~$17 at the New York Philharmonic)

Other indoor things to recommend:
    Wicked the Musical
    (any and all Musicals BUY IN ADVANCE for popular ones, they are expensive but usually worth every penny)
    Off Broadway is great as well.

Chelsea Market
    As someone else said: Radio City Christmas Spectacular
    Underneath the Top of the Rock - Rockefeller Center
    Walking around Greenwich Village try the chocolate tour
    Shopping in SOHO

Eat at il corallo trattoria if you are in SOHO, cheap great italian fare.

Once again, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is a must see and can turn into an all day affair. If you go to the desk and pay a "donation" you can pay what you want (at least $1) for an amazing museum experience.

Fun spots to hit:
    Tom's Restaurant (From Seinfeld - milkshakes)
    Cafe Lalo (You've got mail)
    Magnolia Bakery (Sex and the City)

Check out Carnegie Hall, I haven't yet, but I've heard great things.
    Madison Square Garden

That's all I've got for now. Have a great trip

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Per Se restaurant was a favorite of mine when I went.

I stayed at the St Regis -- I'd recommend it. They had a very nice Bentley as a house car.

Stay off the subway and definitely don't leave Manhattan -- crime abounds

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I live in NYC. Here's the foodie must haves.

Take the 2 train straight down to the last stop in Brooklyn (Flatbush Ave). Go to caribbean food place (not Golden Krust) on triangle at flatbush and glenwood. Buy the beef patty, it is the best you will ever have.

Walk to B6, take it down to the Ave. J train station, walk one block over and go get yourself a slice of pizza from DiFara's. It's the craphole looking place on the corner. If there's a line of douchey looking hipsters, eff em and go over to Jerusalem Pizza two blocks over. Brooklyn pizza is Brooklyn pizza. While you're here, buy yourself the first decent bagel you've ever had in your life. it's the heart of Midwood and the Jews know how to make a seriously good bagel.

The Russians live in brighton beach, which is a 10 minute ride on the subway, but eff them, their food taste like crap, and everyone there reeks of vodka, and cheap vodka.

Hop on the Q line to 42nd street. Transfer to the 7 and go to Flushing. Dont eat in Manhattan. Manhattans a fantasy land whose sole purpose is to act as a prison for people from the outerboroughs that have to work. Don't make eye contact with ghetto looking people. See that soul slapping video? Guess what, those ghetto people will seriously do that to you. Welcome to worldstar. Despite what da1 would have you believe, John Rocker was right, public transportation is a cluster*****. Any idiot who raves about it has never had to ride in one 5 or 6 days a week, twice a day.

Anyway, goto Flushing. Goto Flushing mall food court. Order a bowl from every damn vendor and look around and notice the abundance of yellow people eating. If we there and loving it, you know the food's gotta be good. Do not goto Shanghai Joe, which is in Flushing as well. Shanghai people were uppity in China, and they uppity here. If you want something really spicy, goto the greasy Hunan restaurant off of Northern Blvd, down by Main Street.

Go back to Manhattan, pack your bags and leave. NYC is a craphole that only has food variety to offer. Get the hell out

1 person likes this.
  5. hotballa

Good Lord man, I can practically hear you sipping your latte as you typed that

6. hotballa

you forgot the Olive Garden!

7. Man

Man Contributing Member

Agree with Flushing, great place for some good food!

Maybe also try Momofuku Milk Bar for dessert. Also try for Colbert Show or similar screening?

8. hvic

hvic Member

since you are staying close to Times Square make sure to plan ahead if you want to go to Flushings on the weekend because not the train schedule changes and not all trains go out that way. I made that mistake the last time I visited NY and there was a long ass wait.
    If you like ramen try Ippudo but there will be a long wait. There is also sushi Nakazawa (the documentary I dream of Jiro's apprentice) but they offer only chef choice and would cost 150 a person and you need to make reservations at least 3 weeks in advance. Korean restaurants never closes so no rush. Hit up Dominique Ansel Bakery for dessert and bakeries. The train is easy to figure out but if you have trouble just use a cab. Easy tip for cabs, if the top of there cab light is on then the cab is open and just wave them down. If the light is off they have passengers already. what airport are you flying out?

9. hotballa

Juicy's black, that tip isn't going to help him get a cab in NYC

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He is?

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't think so...if I remember correctly.

12. SuraGotMadHops

[​IMG]

My favorite slice, the Nonna Maria/"Grandma" slice.

13. hvic

hvic Member

I get a cab that way when im in brooklyn or in the city.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was born a poor black child

As black as baylorbear09

[​IMG]

And just in case all of this misses the mark, short of being like 1/32 American Indian, I'm as white as white gets.

I carry my one of my old student IDs around for that exact purpose. And my wife is a student. The trip is to celebrate her graduating with her Nursing degree.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:eek:...dang! That's pretty white!

:p just foolin about!

16. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

There is a certain day of the week the museums are free. I believe Tuesdays but don't quote me on that.

If you are in the theatre district and like Italian food you have to try Carmines. They serve family style and are highly rated, one of my favorite restaurants.

If you like milkshakes, you should try shake shack. They have one in the theatre district as well as Madison Square Park.

Chinatown is always open late for good eats at cheap prices and they have good variety there these days including Malaysian, Vietnamese and fusion joints.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Damn bruh. You shouldn't out a brotha like that.

18. hotballa

my bad, I thought you were black for some reason. time to take you off the pouhe, lil pun, and pgabriel list

19. hotballa

[​IMG]

OP please do these two things, and don't forget your fanny pack wehile you are at it.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Go to Lombardi's Pizza in Little Italy. Don't go to Da Nico in Little Italy - food is sub-par.