1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Visiting Houston this summer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Apps, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Apps

Apps Member

I know there are probably thousands of threads about this, but I'm not a contributing member so I couldn't search for any of them.

I'm going to be coming back to the land where I was born and (partly) raised, and this time around I want to leave no stone unturned. Can anyone please give me the 411 on all six wards, neighborhoods I should avoid, neighborhoods I should visit, the best museums, the best eateries (Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Chinese, MexTex, barbecue), various places only a native would be keen to, info about the Museum district/Theater district, and etc.

I found the Greenspoint/Monroe threads to be very educational, and I also remember seeing a thread here some time ago about one of you guys getting his stuff jacked on the metro. So is the public transit a no-go? I would prefer to not constantly be cooped up in a car if that's even possible in the current state of Houston's transit development.

I know these sound like some pretty ignorant questions for someone who originates from the area, but I moved with my family at a young age and on all my subsequent visits the itinerary was exceptionally limited. I've been doing a lot of independent research and it seems like Houston has a LOT of things to do and a LOT of things to offer, which makes me think it's a little weird that so many people on these boards are always complaining about how "boring" Houston is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Houston does have alot of things to do. The only problem is that theyre so far apart and take ages to get to if you live outside the 610 loop.

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Go somewhere else. JK :grin:

After living here for all my life, I guess it feels like there is nothing to do. If I think of something I will get back to this thread

4. aghast

aghast Member

If you don't have family here:

Museums, theatre, lots of things are decent here. The problem is that they're far better in other cities, and those other cities are much better oriented for tourists.

Traffic in Houston is a nightmare. Our transit system is only one line. If you get shot downtown, it's possible you can take it to the medical center before bleeding out. Other than that, it won't do you much good.

Go to New York or Chicago, or San Francisco, instead. If you insist on a city with poor public transit, hit LA.

The only reason to stay here is because living here is cheap.

Seriously, the only thing that's better in Houston than anywhere else is, what, Tex Mex? (Though that is indeed awesome.) Barbecue? Black lung? I'm drawing a blank here.

5. Apps

Apps Member

Okay guys, I'm FROM L.A., I've been living here for the past 15 years. This whole "everything's too far and the traffic is terrible blah blah" is not going to work on me.

And I do have family in Houston and I was born in Houston, which is why I want to come back. I'm obviously not going because I'm expecting the Met or because I'm expecting the London Symphony, but Houston DOES have sophisticated venues and considerable amenities to offer, so instead of downplaying those aspects, how about you guys lead me in the right direction?

"Go somewhere else" is not on my radar.

6. RedNation

I said "JK" which means Just Kidding ;)

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The everything is too far argument is lame and flawed indeed. I would kill to have things as close as Houston does in Colorado.

8. Apps

Apps Member

It wasn't solely directed at you, but also at Aghast who suggested that I visit three other cities that I've already been to and a city in which I live instead.

9. RedNation

Alright I'm sorry. Let me come up with some places.

Kemah boardwalk, the galleria (I live right there and it's a pretty cool place to go to [also has ice skating if you're into it], Miller Outdoor Theatre which has free performances, the Houston Zoo, Museum of Fine Arts, Moody Gardens, Holocaust Museum. Regarding Tex-Mex, You could go to Chuy's, Lupe Tortilla... That's all I got :grin:

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Neighborhoods you should avoid: all six wards.

Go to NASA, the Galleria, if you're into museums, the MFAH, Menil (stupidly good art), Museum of Natural Science are all outstanding.

Eat Tex Mex (El Tiempo on Richmond), eat BBQ (Good Co. on Kirby) and go out on Washington Ave.

and of course, catch a play at Catastrophic Theater!

11. Apps

Apps Member

Thank you, the bolded are things that I'd never heard of before so that's definitely helpful.

12. Yao11

Yao11 Member

I agree. LA traffic is horrific. It takes me a good hour to get somewhere that could be six-ten miles away.

13. RedNation

The Theater district has the Jones Hall, Wortham Theater Center, Alley Theatre and Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. I went to the Alley and it was pretty fun to watch. Good to go with the family.

There's also Bayou Place which includes the Verizon Wireless Theater,and Landry’s Downtown Aquarium near there.

14. Yao11

Yao11 Member

If you haven't been to a Rockets game and have time/if they're in town, you should catch one. As far as food, these are my favorite places to go:

Sushi Raku:3201 Louisiana St. Houston, TX 77006
    The Capitol at St Germain (get a reservation ahead of time): 705 B Main St. Houston, TX 77002
    Hearsay Gastro Lounge: 218 Travis St. Houston, TX 77002

If you want Chinese food, go to Ocean Palace in Chinatown/Bellaire. During lunch hour there's a dim sum cart buffet, while in the evening it's menu served.

BBQ- Goode Co. BBQ and Rudy's are usually my personal favorites.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go to the Aquarium, it's a major tourist trap!

15. Yao11

Yao11 Member

The Woodlands Mall area and First Colony Mall (Sugarland) are two good spots also, for shopping and eating.

16. RedNation

To get an idea of what is around your area, where do you/your family live and how far within houston are you willing to travel.

17. Nook

Nook Member

The weather in NY and Chicago blows. The food in San Francisco is mediocre and the cost of living is terrible in all three of those cities, not to mention the people are not as nice and the taxes are insane.

18. RedNation

19. Apps

Apps Member

Family lives in Bellaire. I'm willing to go to any museum or any place where there is history to be seen, regardless of distance. I want to see Uptown, Midtown, Downtown--basically I just want to see the city of Houston and become well-acquainted with its geography.

20. RedNation

Alright. Check out some of the places I posted above. If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know