1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vipers Coach on Royce White: "He was as bad as anybody who can play on the floor tonight"

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Clutch, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's always something new with you guys. The guy is horribly out of shape, we know it, he knows it and the team knows it. He needs time to get back into shape and also to practice. He had a terrible 3rd game back after being out for 6 months. He received criticism. Let's see how he responds to it on the court.

Once he starts putting up big numbers in D-League, the next thing will be "Yeah but it's only D-League."

On to the next one.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Waste of a pick. I doubt Morey makes this type of mistake again. Using the 16th on a headcase that nearly every team was going to pass on was not a good idea.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think Morey would take the risk again.

4. Grigori

Grigori Member

He doesn't even look like that he likes playing basketball.

There is no cure for that.

Just waive him.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He picked up TWill. I don't think he minds taking chances.

6. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

I think it was a risk worth taking. Looking back now they probably should have went with Andrew Nicholson, seeing the way he has been playing. But they havent really invested all that much into him so if he doesnt pan out I dont think it will hurt the Rockets in any way. You have to take risks in order to progress. Sounds to me like he has some serious attitude problems, he sounds like a prima donna to me though. Hopefully he changes and matures a little bit. He should probably take a step back and look at the other rookies the Rockets have. They have never complained, they put their heads down and work hard and it has paid off for them. If he cant see that then oh well, not like we wasted all that much time on him, it wont be the worst or the last case of squandered talent the NBA has ever seen...

7. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Yea, but the thing is — why is he out of shape? You're a basketball player being paid to play ball. Keep yourself in shape. He seems to have no accountability, no sense of responsibility and no passion or respect for the game. I hope I am wrong, but he has self-imposed failure written all over him. Too bad, because his summer league play looked really special.

Interesting contrast to Robinson, BTW. After losing virtually his entire family in the span of a month, he shocked everyone by going to practice. To top it off, he told everyone not to feel sorry for him. If Royce had 10% of that attitude, maybe he would succeed.

1 person likes this.
  8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Royce has a long way to go before he'll earn respect and praise from Rockets fans. He has a lot of making up to do and I'll be shocked if he ever does.

9. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

To be in NBA, you have to be very tough mentally. You have to endure all the stuff and scrutiny on the court and off the court. I just don't think as a self-righteous person White has the mental make-up to survive the NBA. I would be very surprised if he makes it and stays in this league.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

he doesn't put in the work and he is out of shape because of that.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Problem is...he doesn't see it that way. In his mind, everyone else is at fault and should automatically be in his corner because of his issues. He doesn't seem to care what others think...which is fine...but it's to the extent that he's alienated himself from the team's loyal fan base.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

And you have proof that he never will?

The point is, his talent would develop into a nice weapon if he works and that's why he's down in McAllen... to work. I seriously doubt that he's not working at all. He just needs the right thing to click for him and boom, solid NBA contributor.

13. Nook

Nook Member

It usually does not work that way. Someone does not suddenly develop passion and work ethic. The truth is that Royce didn't workout or play basketball during the off season or his hold out.

The Rockets will never count on Royce. Even if by some miracle he becomes a rotation player, you will never know if he will show up for the game or make any effort in the game. No NBA coach going to want that ticking time bomb on their bench.

The fact he didn't even workout or play during his #bewell# period only backs the theory he just wants the money. There was no reason, or illness that kept him from staying in shape, but he was arrogant he openly admitted it. He has been a Viper for 2 weeks and already has given up in the middle of a game.

Morey is doing the only thing he can do, attempting to reestablish his value, but it is a real long shot. It was a bad pick by Morey. I know we expected to deal our #1's to move up and Morey deferred to McHale but it just was a poor choice.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cousins comes to my mind... He came to the draft out of shape sort of
    Red flags all over the place.... got taken 5th

It says that Royce White's talent is limited when a guy like Cousins with all the red flags is taken at 5th which means he is Top 3 material otherwise.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6'8 270 Royce
    6'9 245 Trob

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Problem is not talent. Problem is not his head.

Problem is he has no heart. He needs to go into music or whatever. Can't succeed in the NBA if you see it as your job and nothing else. Passion is lacking here. And that's why the dedication sucks.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Why is this such a difficult thing to understand? The guy was on strike, he refused to go to WORK. That means he did not reject a D-League assignment. It means he did not intentionally get out of shape. It means he refused to fulfill any single part of his entire contract, and that's why the Rockets suspended him and stopped paying him.

Now.. was it a good idea to get so out of shape? Not at all. It was a terrible idea. A mistake which is going to waste what little is left of this season. But this is something we knew in his first NBDL performance. We criticized him. We beat that dead horse, revived it, killed it and beat it again. He's out of shape. We all know. He knows, the teams knows, and we know... he is out of shape. It was stupid not to stay in shape. It is obvious now that it was stupid particularly after his performance in Game 3.

This has nothing to do with responsibility and accountability. This is simply the result of a mistake - allowing himself to be so out of shape.

lol @ your T-Rob comment. No one else on the roster has 10% of T-Rob's attitude. Hell, 99% of the world doesn't have 10% of T-Rob's attitude.

Right now, you guys are refusing to eat that crow. The fact that Morey and White reached an agreement on exactly what White was holding out for says: the organization recognized that there was an issue, they are willing to work with this medical problem, they believe that Royce could fulfill his potential, and they think it possible that they will rely on Royce as a trade asset or part of a rotation before his contract expires.

But instead you guys are blowing everything up because you're still bitter about how Royce handled everything. I'm not over it either. I still think he owes the organization an apology for THAT. But to take an issue as simple as: "the guy is so out of shape he couldn't compete the other night" and turn it into "NO ONE IN THE UNIVERSE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO RELY ON HIM, HE WILL BE SERVING HOTDOGS TO ROCKETS FANS BY NEXT WEEK!!"... is ridiculous.

I want the guy to get into shape. His passing and rebounding seem to translate into the NBDL at least. He is stronger than I thought, which is good because he's not "vertically gifted". If he is able to earn his way back into the organization's trust, then this is exactly where he can turn into a star player by developing a post game with the help of McHale and CD. As for getting in shape, the Rockets seem to be notoriously good at getting people in the best shape possible, so I am confident it will not be long till this is sorted.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's your point? You are comparing a supposedly talented rookie to a basketball player who switches to baseball in his 30s without having played so much as a baseball game in probably over a decade?

Seriously?

20. lostfan815

lostfan815 Member