1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vipers Coach on Royce White: "He was as bad as anybody who can play on the floor tonight"

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Clutch, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I gave up on Royce a while ago, you should too..

2. valleyproud

valleyproud Member

Don't see how this guy can help us. By "us", meaning the Vipers. He played OK the first two games but now his lack of conditioning and his poor attitude are coming to the surface. He can work on his conditioning by practicing and working out. Don't know if his attitude will be that easy to change. He's a team wrecker.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Wasn't this his third game? come on now; lets get a larger sample size before we trade him to the Kings.

4. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

get this, he doesn't even follow clutchfans or wexler on twitter. that means that he basically searched his name on twitter to see if he was trending or not! pretty conceited if you ask me

honestly, he needs to get off of twitter. his doctor is probably old and doesn't know what it is about, so he couldn't advise against using it. people talk trash to him all the time and i'm sure it gets under his skin

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

To be fair, Royce is taking it from Clutchfans, Wexler, AND his coach for a bad night. That would be enough to rile anyone up a little if they have any competitive nature.

6. AXG

AXG Member

If I were Rockets management, I would just decline it. At best, he would be an expiring contract to be used in deals. At worse the Rockets count their losses and swallow that contract, but at least, it's on a rookie scale. Either way, the Rockets are still nicely set up for free agency next offseason.

7. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy is an excuse maker with zero work ethic. What could possibly go wrong?

Fortunately, it looks as though the Rockets won't be relying on him anytime soon if ever.

8. seeingred

seeingred Member

this. everyone needs to take a step back and realize that we shouldn't be actively rooting for one of our players (or any nba player really) to fail. you can hate the way this kid handled the situation (i certainly do) but don't hate the kid. A few months ago he was sitting on his butt, hurling strange insults at the organization and getting fined. Now he's out of shape and making rookie mistakes in the d-league (can't finish at the rim at all) but showing flashes of what we saw when we drafted him. A few months from now, with better conditioning, higher familiarity with the scheme and teammates... who knows ? 2 years from now after he's matured, both in his game and mentally ? could be the comeback story of the year.

settle down with the hate. if you have to, convert it over to the apathy that some of these other posters have cultivated.

1 person likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not surprised. I don't want him on the team TBH, I feel like if anything goes wrong he's going to start some stuff.

I mean with the newly acquired Thomas Robinson, D-Mo, and Jones I'm not sure where this guy is going to play. Not on the Rockets.

10. amaru

amaru Member

He's down there for a reason. Keep at it Royce

11. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

This kid has 2 weeks to get himself into shape if he wants any chance of being a part of the Rockets plans moving forward. Why 2 weeks? We start that long homestand on Mar 13 where there will be a chance for him to realistically be called up to work with the big team for a 3 week stretch. If he does not have himself in shape in time for that, he will be cut in the offseason.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He's not going to be cut this offseason.

At a minimum, he's under contract for two years, so it's not going to benefit the cap situation if you let him go. And if you let him go and he does well elsewhere, you're basically setting a precedent for other young players that if they're frustrated and don't like the short-term situation, they can whine and b**** their way out, contract be damned.

Obviously you don't let the drama play out forever, but it's not as if he can be a "cancer" to the Rockets when he's at RGV. I hope he figures it out, but no matter what, I don't see the Rockets cutting ties with Royce until there's a tangible benefit for them -- and that won't come until the 2014-15 year (when conceivably you could clear cap space).

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That he felt the need to respond to those kinds of comments is pathetic. It really crystallizes how hopeless his attitude is.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The response was unnecessary, agree, but Wexler did tweet at him.

15. Raven

Raven Member

He will never play for the Rockets again. Morey will keep him in the D League until he's traded or released.

Book it.

PS: I'm wishcasting.

;)

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This guy will never be a good or even decent NBA player. It's a waste of time and money to have him in the organization. Cut him and let him loose.

17. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

I'm done with this guy, he gives everyone with anxiety issues a bad name. Really what it boils down to is that he just has a horrible attitude and a giant chip on his shoulder for some reason. Why does he care so much what people think? Responding to tweets from all those random people, responding to a harmless tweet last night from ClutchFans.....

I mean c'mon Royce, what are you doing? Look, and this is coming from someone who has dealt/deals with anxiety issues: it's wayyyyyyyyyy beyond any "anxiety" or "mental disorder" problems at this point for Royce. It has NOTHING to do with that. It's about his piss poor, "me first" attitude. Man up Royce, go out there and play hard for your teammates and yourself and ignore everything else. His priorities are totally screwed up.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

At this point it really doesn't matter to the Rockets. He's going to get a training camp invite next year, but I highly doubt he gets his option picked up REGARDLESS of his performance, and will be on a short leash next season to get released much like the last year of Terrence Williams contract that the Rockets had him in their system.

-T. Robinson
    -D-Mo
    -Smith
    -Jones

Do you really think the Rockets are desperate for young talent at the PF spot? Its up to Royce to turn his career around, and its ALL on his shoulders. No harm no foul at this point from the Rockets standpoint.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If there's 2 things a coach DOES NOT WANT from his team that will grind his gears:
    1) Getting BEAT BADLY
    2) Players NOT HUSTLING, not being serious.

And its probably a combination of both which leads to a bad result, his team getting beat BAD by NOT hustling. Thats always AUTOMATIC grounds to get CALLED OUT.

What Nurse (or any coach there) is probably doing is telling Royce THIS IS YOUR FLOOR - THIS is YOUR LOW. Highlights and frames it, so Royce and his team does not GO SO LOW again.

Basically, Nurse is doing his JOB. Now its on Royce to be professional to take constructive coaching critique and do his.

Nurse sad "on the floor TONIGHT". Meaning it can be an incidental thing and next game is better. If THATS a sign of worse, then Royce isnt cut out to be a pro

20. MonKing

MonKing Member

Morey is a professional gambler - Harden, Lin, Asik, Beverley, TRob were all different types of gambles. Morey wins enough to stay in the game, so he's willing to let the RW situation play out and see if he gets lucky.

But White has shown no signs of having the fortitude to do what it is necessary to be successful. Many NBA rookies have over-relied on their raw talents at lower levels, and struggle to be successful in the NBA. Not all the ones that work hard at improving succeed at the transition. White has shown no signs that he is aware that needs to change his approach and dig deep; he is continuing to coast on excessive self-esteem.

At this point, less than 5% chance he makes it past this coming October.