1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Vince] Young and restless...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by KingCheetah, Jun 13, 2006.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I hate Bud Adams and now I hate Bob McNair. :mad:

Everytime I hear about VY and how he's getting all this press it pisses me off that he's not in a Texans uniform and worse than that he's in a Titans uniform.

Home town kid should have been playing for the hometown team and bringing the championship home.

Mario better be the best Defensive lineman in the history of the game to overcome the bad press the Texans are going to get if VY starts to light it up in the NFL like many think he will.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Relax Baiter, no one is making you read this thread, better yet, no one is making you post in it.

Your point about VY not playing at UT anymore so why would you care argument is laughable. Everyone roots for their alma mater, I'm 100% sure that you would do the same if you were in our position. So you don't have allegiance to anyone, that's fine, but don't bash other posters because they have allegiance to their alma mater or alumni. You really shouldn't bash what you don't know, almost every person on this board that went to college will tell you that you root for alumni, whether it's secretly or outloud.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this isn't a texan web site. maybe you should go there.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why in the world would you click on a thread that was obviously about someone you don't want to read or talk about?

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

That fatazz better stay away from Mario's toes! :mad:

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The times are changing in Nashville.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060612/SPORTS01/606120358/1027

Young, Titans bid farewell to McNair
    Emotions, laughter mark new Raven's local charity event

By JESSICA HOPP
    Staff Writer

FRANKLIN — Vince Young paused and lowered his head.

The room was full of people, but for a moment it was just him. Just him and Pop.

"I just want to say I love you, man," the rookie Titans quarterback said, raising his dark, tear-rimmed eyes to look at his mentor, the man he lovingly calls his pop, Steve McNair. "You just don't know what you mean to me, man."

He opened his mouth to continue, but he could not.

Instead of just being part of heartfelt recognition for the veteran quarterback's many community contributions, Young was also part of a goodbye at McNair's charity dinner and auction.

On Thursday, McNair became a Baltimore Raven. It was a move that meant the two men, who over the years had formed a bond much like that of a father and son, would not get to play together. It was too much for words.

And so Young stood, blanketed in a silence until, slowly, he wiped away the tears and continued.

"You mean a whole lot to me, Pop," he said softly. "This is so hard, man. … I will see you on the other sideline. May the best man win."

Then, a room that had been totally still erupted.

Even though there was sadness, the night was truly about celebration. And while many looked forward to a future full of Young's promising possibility, it was impossible not to recognize the legacy McNair had created.

And so, as McNair made his way up to the podium, the room again filled with applause — only this time it was a standing ovation.

"It has been a roller-coaster ride spending 11 years in one organization and then having to make a change," McNair said. "It is hard to leave something you have dedicated your whole life toward. It is hard to drop that and start something else.

"It was a sad day when I got the call from my agent to be traded to Baltimore — a team we despise and we hate. But I think we all as athletes know when you want to accomplish something in life sometimes you have to make a change.

"In this stage in my career I have to make a change. Not by choice, but it is something I can live with. … I just want to make sure the state of Tennessee realizes Steve is only going on vacation. I'll be back."

McNair said his foundation, which was established six years ago and benefits more than 25 nonprofit charity organizations throughout Tennessee and his home state of Mississippi, would continue to operate out of Tennessee.

The silent auction Sunday night raised around $75,000. The two-day event also includes today's golf outing at Brentwood Country Club.

"I am still part of this community," McNair said. "That is something you don't let go."

And so, too, others would not let go of him.

Several of McNair's teammates turned the evening event into something of a roast.

"I remember the first time I met Steve, he was standing in the equipment room and he was wearing a really nice watch," lineman Zach Piller said. "I asked him how much it cost and he told me it was worth more than my life. I have always taken those words and lived by that and with the contract he signed with Baltimore I still feel the same way."

Former Titans lineman Brad Hopkins talked about a rookie event in which McNair had to catch pigs. But then he returned to the more serious matters.

"I have seen a lot of foundations, a lot of players in the community trying to put the best foot forward and give back," Hopkins said. "And I don't think I have seen one that has meant so much.

"I am going to sit back and watch the whole legacy unfold, even if it is in a different jersey."

Still, as McNair made sure to note, goodbye was not forever.

"Nashville will be my home," McNair said. "I am here to stay."

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

could this be any more homotional?

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Could this be any more ignorant?

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Lighten up on the roids.

10. updawg

updawg Member

penis-envy

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I wonder how Cutler is doing?

12. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

uh...woops.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't see anything wrong with that, they had a vicious rivalry up until the league was re-aligned. its no secret they don't like each other.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're still calling him VY6. I guess if that makes you feel better about yourself. you look like an idiot though considering that had no impact on his draft status.

15. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You still floss with his pubes, so you're even.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What is it about VY that prompts such classless and idiotic responses out of people?

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

lol, never heard it put that way before.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if that makes you feel better about yourself also. I guess you couldn't respond to my last post about this not being a "texan" web-site. and you're one of the people b****ing about creepy floyd in the other forum. I don't think he's ever sank to this level.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

looks like some of you "true" fans need this.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

you can go over three and talk about how you're such a great fan and would never ever ever ever follow a non texan player.

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member