1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince to Houston Article (Again)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drich, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

Defense? I didn't know the Rockets still played defense. I would much rather have Carter over Artest at this point. I know Artest plays hard and all that, but what difference does that make when its not actually producing a better team. Ill take my chance with Vince. I don't see how you pass up a deal like the rumored one if you are Houston.

When I watch Artest, all I see is this guy that gets the ball and then just charges into the lane out of control and throws up some crap. I don't see how that is better than Vince Carter who actually has some offensive moves. If the Rockets were playing amazing defense with Artest then I would assume that we would have won more games at this point. The reality is that we are playing worse defense with Artest than last season so why not trade him for a better offensive player that can also shoot threes.

2. FR0497

FR0497 Member

Watch some damn basketball before you put up horrible threads. VC would fit Adelmans system much better than Ron. He moves well without the ball and plays decent defense and does NOT gamble like Artest does that causes easy layups for the opposition.

Also if we're going to lose Ron at the end of the year anyway why not get something for him?????? Chances of us resigning him are slim to none.

3. boby

boby Member

I am with you, my lady! No more than one big loser in a team!! :eek:

4. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

"Back where it all began" COULD elude to a situation vs. a destination. Thus, meaning the situation back when Vince and Tracy were teamates instead of the location of Toronto. I am just reaching. LOL :D

5. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

thats because McGrady is on the floor. And if our D is bad, imagine how worse it can get with VC. The team is WAYYYY better when its just Yao/Artest. I agree with the OP. Its insane to me why anyone would want VC on this team. With Ron we at least have a fighting chance to win and getting far in the playoffs. With Vince, we get an older and related version of T-mac. Why would anyone want that? Why would anyone want a player who then assures us of not getting to the Finals for at least another couple years?

I want my fighting chance. This team is still capable of getting to the WCF. Aftter that, it will be a fight to the championship. We can get there with Ron. Not with Vince.

6. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

I feel you dawg.

But clutch fans keep saying we will lose ron artest for nothing

We can't just let ron walk

Me personally I think it's a terrible trade and we might as well just mail in the stats for the next 2 seasons.

7. onreego

onreego Member

1. There is no promising that Ron comes back after this season, so the Rockets are simply trying to get something in return.
    2. Ron has underperformed all season, besides a couple of games.
    3. Check out the thread about Vince for McGrady, people seem more approving of that one.
    4. For a guy that doesnt know basketball, he sure got us Artest and Landry for good deals. Got us Brooks and kept Wafer(who isnt as good on D as strawberry) All along with getting rid of garbage like James, J.Howard. Gave Francis a shot and got rid of him. Not only does the guy know basketball, he's a magician when it comes to doing what the team needs.

I'm gonna go with he knows what he's doing. Must make me a wannabe Fan :rolleyes:

8. duteman

duteman Member

do we have an article saying Ron wont' re-sign...and wats the reason behind him not wanting to re-sign with us? Also how come the tmac for vince trade won't work?

9. arjun

arjun Member

like i said in the other thread

if tmac/artest dint work...wut makes u think that carter/artest will be THAT much better

i think its better to try tmac/carter...i think they will have fun while playing, and gel alot better.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I don't like that deal at all. If it's for T-Mac, I love it. Something like T-Mac and Head for Carter, Hassell and Najera would be great. Anything of value that can be had for T-Mac at this point is great I guess. Actually, I think it's addition by subtraction at this point with T-Mac. I think Wafer's proven to be a more effective player this season.

The idea of having Vince and T-Mac at the 2/3 is very scary to me. They're both pretty injury-prone. Artest, Landry and Head for Vince just isn't worth it. I'd rather keep Landry around and let T-Mac's contract expire.

11. duteman

duteman Member

He's made exciting moves and the players do better than most ppl expect but he has no credit in getting us a team that can pass the 1st round or play consistently well together...don't get me wrong i like the guy and all but he still has Tmac on the roster

12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I hear ya. I've got a little extra incentive though, I Am going to Spring Training. I definitely was hoping for a better result of this Rocket's season though, to help me throughout the upcoming, and probably ugly, Astros season.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not quite. Vince Carter will be a "quasi-expiring" contract in 2010/11. His contract is partially guaranteed for $4M in 2011/12. Still, his deal may be an enticing trade chip come February 2011. Similar to Jerry Stackhouse's contract now for the Mavs.

14. GOAT

GOAT Member

that's still 14 million dollars by itself. Nice expiring if you ask me

15. FlexKavana2009

VC for Artest or VC for TMac would be a lateral trade. The Rockets are not improving their team by acquiring him.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The deal works under the trade rules if the Rockets take back Boone with a simultaneous trade using one of their trade exceptions. So it is really two deals. It puts the Rockets solidly in luxury tax territory. However, Les has always said he would pay the tax to acquire a "special player." If the Rockets do this deal, Les no doubt considers VC a special player.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The funny thing is that NJ acquired Vince from Toronto for basically nothing -> I believe it was like a retired Alonzo Mourning and some filler.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

injury-prone Carter? from what? the '01-'02 and '02-'03 seasons? Catch up, wake up..

19. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

They should throw in Yi as well. I want to see him play with Yao.

20. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Remember the rockets have some kind of curse.