1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Carter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blackwindy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. rz04

rz04 Member

I never said I expect the Rockets to go after these guys, if you read my post I said the rockets could go after guys who are the same/better kind of players like Carter for a lot less.

I honestly don't get why you keep on bringing up names of other guys who are not even close to the situation Carter and the Rockets are in to prove your point.

Jamerson is a unrestricted free agent, he can go where ever he wants, Carter is under a max contract. Jamerson can accept the veterans min if he wishes, Carter's contract will not change. With a free agent you would just lose cap space thats it. With a trade, especially a max contract, your not only losing that cap space, your losing pieces to your team as well.

aging Carter w/MLE= I will personally drive to New Jersey to pick him up

aging Carter w/a max deal= I wouldn't even touch with a 10 foot pole

2. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

What im saying is they are looking to move him and it would be dumb to not make a run at him all it would take is Battier/Jackson/Head and some picks.

Factor in all this.

Alston will be off the books and so will T-Mac, Scola and Yao i doubt any of them were to resign for more then what they are making now.

T-Mac would resign for what Carter is making now with 1 less year.

It's not as bad as your making it out to be other contracts expire before VC giving us more breathing room.

Also our rookies will be making more and producing more.

3. rz04

rz04 Member

And are you factor in the fact that we are already over the cap?

Right now our salary is 67.4 million with the cap at around 55 mil, thats 12 million difference.

That means AFTER the 09/10 season which is when TMAC+rafer+Scola comes off the books, at that point they will come off as unrestricted freeagents because there are no options/qualifiying offers in their contract for them to be restricted.

so thats 23+5+3 million=31 million coming off the books.

thats 67million total (assuming Greene+Dorsey dont sign and we dont draft anyone in the next 2 seasons)-31 million=36 million

cap room of 55-36=19 million+5.2MLE=24.2 million

that is assume you don't sign anyone to replace the 4 for 1 deal you traded for carter, don't sign anyone (not even w/ MLE) no players drafted for pretty much 3 seasons.

You would have 24.1 million to resign TMAC, Scola, Rafer alone.

So by your logic we would have no more drafts, no FA signings, to try to improve/fill our roster?

All for a jumpshooter who will be close or over 36 once the contract is up?

4. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Its hard to believe something cant be done.

Finley helped San Antonio who was a jump shooter btw who had numbers not even close to what Vince can do here.

It is also hard to believe taking a strong Utah team to 6 games without your best player then throw in the fact that when he comes back added with a VC cant take us to the next level i would be in shock not only that, but to not get over the hump is pretty hard to believe and if so i think it's worth taking on VC for table scraps then it is to sit around and not do nothing.

Players 3rd options dont want to come sign here for the cheap if there is no signs of getting over the hump espeically young players like Gerald Wallace types.

5. rz04

rz04 Member

OMG dude are you reading anything I have said at all?

Finley signed for the VETS minimum :eek:

Do you honestly have any type of logic to back yourself up? Everything you try to prove has to do with comparing VC to another player.

San Antonio didn't give up anything to get Finley, if they had to pay over 15mil a year for 4 years for him do you think the spurs would have signed him?

I really don't understand how you can't acknowledge a difference between a player and a player with a bad contract.....

6. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

communication dont translate through computers to well because there is no indication of facial exspressions. What im saying and what your reading is 2 different things. Finley had a bad contract and still went to a contender who was a jumpshooter is all im saying and came out like gold so what im saying its hard to believe something cant be done.

7. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Also this is win now mode right? Your thinking long term and im thinking short term.

8. scola4

scola4 Member

i would love to get vince carter because he could be that one more guy we need but i dont want to give up battier.
    i dont think VC would mind coming off the bench and being our version of manu

9. rz04

rz04 Member

And it seems like basic logic don't translate either.

Finley was brought out of his contract, I honestly don't see what part of this you don't understand. The Dallas Mavricks paid off the rest of his contract so they could waive him.

Once the San Antonio Spurs signed him, they signed him for the VET MINIMUM. Do you understand? The San Antonio Spurs are paying him like 1 million dollars a year.

Vince Carter is paid close to 18 million dollars a year, New Jersey will not buy out his contract. The Rockets have to pay him close to 72 million over 4 years, and that counts towards the cap space.

Please tell me you understand the difference.

Like i have said
    here
    here
    here
    He has a max contract, unless there is a 100% guarantee that you can win the championship with him, it would be dumb to go out and get them.

10. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Finley's part was so long ago and forgotten that i completely forgot that Dallas did indeed buy him out my bad.

What im saying is the last 3 out of 4- 1st round exits and then taking a strong Utah team to 6 games without your best player then adding a VC dont take you to the next level then what will? this is win now mode according to the the front office that 50+ wins is no longer an option. So tell me is this rebuild mode in prehapes T-Mac last year or is this take a gamble because nothing has worked without the icing on the cake? All of my previous post indicate as to everything im communicating about right here, but yet each one judges everything i disagree with you with except for the finacial aspect.

Do you not understand?

11. rz04

rz04 Member

What is so difficult about what I am saying?

You just compared Vince Carter with Finley, and I am telling you they are 2 completely different situations.

Forgetting that they are 2 completely different players.

Finley was brought out and signed for the vet minimum, Carter have a max contract and have to be traded for. You can't compare them.

Besides, San Antonio won Championships before Finley got there, can you say the same about the current state of the rockets?

Finley came off the bench for about 10 15 mins per game, are you trying to say Carter would have no problem doing that? Are you trying to say we need to pay a guy the max to come off the bench?

New Jersey wants more then expiring contracts for Carter, which the article you posted said so. So why do you keep on saying that we can get him for table scraps?

And what makes you think that once Carter get here we are guaranteed to win a championship?

and please stop backing yourself up with comparing the rockets with other teams. TMAC is not Pierce, Yao is not Shaq, and VC is not Finley.

12. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Man you like to ramble alot. Did my last 2 post not make enough sence to you? We are 1 piece away accoring to Yao Ming and many other members on this board and Shaq was never even mentioned lolz. From everything you have said i just disagree with you is all. Im thinking win now and all your thinking about is his contract so what.

13. rz04

rz04 Member

And I am trying to say that you can only gain VC through getting rid of our other players, lets just say NJ is willing to trade VC for BJax, Battier, Head, and Francis plus picks. That is our starting SF, and backup guards you just traded.

You are assuming that they are all healthy, and working together fine.All of those are big assumptions, lets just say they all work perfectly. Then you have to guarantee that they all stay healthy, something that probably won't happen given the history for all 3 players. And especially this year after the Olympics for Yao.

If any one of those cases happens (chemistry,healthy, ect), then so much of our cap room would be so tied up in Yao, TMAC, and Carter. We can't make any improvements on the team.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

BJax, Luther, Woods, Francis, Greene, future first for VC.

15. rz04

rz04 Member

lets see
    please, every single one of your arguments have been comparing different players.

16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Not many teams can offer what they would take anyways, there is not much to it not as many players your talking about and we still have picks. The team is already built with players built around those 3 we would not need to sign players for another 2 years and most teams only use a 8 man rotation anyways.

17. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I Agree. We are in a win now situation and if we have a chance to get VC for exp. contracts and draft picks I say do it. Many people last year agreed with the Ray Allen trade and many didn't. Those that didn't said Boston was giving away young talent to get an aging player(with a big contract) who had been injury prone his last couple of years in Seattle, how did that turn out. A change of scenery is always good, it can bring the life back into you.

VC doesn't need to be the play maker cause TMac and Yao will get him easy shots. Just imagine VC getting all of those wide open 3's, layups and dunks that Head Jackson Hayes and Landry gets. Plus if you tell me that taking on VC contract will give me an opportunity to reach the NBA finals and possibly win it I'm all for it.

18. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Sure is funny 2 of those quotes are not even me.

19. rz04

rz04 Member

Oh crap my bad, I have been arguing this for way too long since its been a boring day at work (about to be noon over here).

That is probably why I keep on getting pissed that you didn't get my point, because I thought you where this other guy.

20. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

no problem thats why i didnt over react lolz.