1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Carter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blackwindy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

"valuable expring contracts" are not going to win a champ for us, those are what expring contracts are suppose to do, get you a player that is going to help up. And no one get anyone GREAT by just giving expiring contracts. Face it, Carter, Artest, and Cory are the only 3 stars we have a shot at

2. rz04

rz04 Member

And it makes you wonder why nobody has jumped at the chance of taking him off their hands.

I don't know why you are comparing Carter to Gasol. Paul is not only younger, but also a big man. While you can only mention a handful of all star caliber big man in the league, every team pretty much have swingman like Carter at this point of his career, many even better and cheaper.

Ok so you just compared TMAC stats to Carter stats, like I have said before, forget the fact that TMAC is a better playmaker and defender, how is a low % jumpshooter going to help this team?

Keep in mind a majority of Carter's stats came from opportunities created by Jason Kidd, with other options like Richard Jefferson. While TMAC had to not only create for himself, but others as well, and carried this team to the playoffs after Yao went down.

You got to be kidding me if you think any contending teams will make a run for him for at this price. You think New Orleans will make a run for him? New Orleans is just as capped out as we are, the only expiring contract they have is Chris Paul. Unless you think the Nets want to trade Carter for Peja, who has the same length contract.

3. Bassem

Bassem Member

Hell yeah. Do it

It would be the resurrection of the Dynamic Duo

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rafer, Greene, TMac & VC = Players who are prone to jacking up bad shots. Yao would never touch the ball. Given his recent injuries though...might not be a bad idea.

5. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Well first off Carter has no beef with the front office if there was teams with pieces lind out and asked him personally like a proffesional front office would do, he would choose a contender using commen sence.

Teams when blowing up the team for a specific reason other than rebuilding like moving away etc dont treat players with displeasure unless they make beef with the front office.

It's highly unlikely NJ will ship him into a ****ty position.

6. sook

sook Rookie

No, actually Pierce was b****ing about fouls the whole game when they came back. Walker got pissed at him and told him to get his **** straight. You are stupid if you think pierce carried walker.
    The celtics defense has little to do with how good of 1 on 1 defenders the players are, with the exception of posey. They move like a whole, leaving no gaps.

7. rz04

rz04 Member

Get back to the topic please, the only reason I talked about this was because the guy I responded this to brought up other players trying to prove why we should trade for a 72 million dollar jumpshooter.

8. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

When Thorn was considering moving him for a single expiring another team was offering makes you wonder. I read the article.

9. comehere2

comehere2 Member

No, thanks. i mean NO.

10. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

It would be pretty dumb to think Carter cant help this team especially when we already have Yao so no need to make moves for Gasol level puke.

Did you read the article just wondering why was Thorn considering making the move especially to the same team with a player they are trying to target in 2010?

11. jie

jie New Member

it is a good idea!

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Nets are getting serious. They would laugh off what we can offer.

13. rz04

rz04 Member

A single expiring? Whose contract was expiring that was worth 18mil per?
    And did it happen? GMs hype up nonexistent trade offers all the time trying to get interest from teams.

If Carter's contract was around the MLE, hell even half of what he makes now, around 10million, I would consider the risk of him coming in and end up not gelling with Yao and TMAC. But you got to be crazy to take this risk when it could be a 72 million dollar mistake.

Carter has a bigger contract than Yao, Lebron, and Wade. So don't you think that is a little much for just a 3rd scoring option?

If for what ever reason they don't gell, or they get injured (which all of them are known for). You can't have any other signings at all.

The NBA cap for last season was around $55million. If you go out and get Carter you would have a combined $52 million invested in Yao+TMAC+VC alone. That means if it doesn't work that is it, you will only have the draft and the MLE to sign/resign the 9 other players on your team.

14. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I guess in this system you believe Carter cant help and when did he ever team with a dominate inside presence taking pressure away from our wings?

Throw in the fact that he was averaging nearly 6 assist with a point guard like Jason Kidd and he cant pass a ball in a passing system with 2 other scorers you have to be kidding me? When was Pierce shooting the ball much better?

It's not as if Carter dont demand attention or anything not as much as T-Mac though who would be so freed up in this system it would'nt be funny.

Another thing shooting off the dribble is what we have lacked in the past and it's not as if 21 ppg isnt putting the ball through the hoop or anything or if he is 35+ years old when in his last year of contract his trade value will be at an all time high.

Adelman has stated before many times you can never go wrong with tomany scorers. The more scorers the harder you are to defend.

15. drich

drich Member

smart man he only makes around 13 million research before you talk next time.

16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

It was Wally and GM's hyping trade offers up what does that tell you?

His contract is not really that bad just an extra year, but that would make him good in a trade. In this day and age in his career he would be shipped just like T-Mac would be shipped if we dont do something and they would go to a team in which they can help win a championship being a 3rd guy etc remember Jason Kidd was just a point guard but not really a scoring threat and they had no inside game so he would actually produce more here in Houston.

17. rz04

rz04 Member

Dude have you been paying attention to what I been saying???

Like you said his value will be at a all time high when its at the end and its coming off the books no matter how old he is. That is the same reason why right now they are having so much trouble moving him, especially for equal exchange.

Getting Carter on this team would be a risk, and right now based on his history, age, production, playing style, and personality, this risk becomes magnified. That combined with his contract is just a move you don't make.

All my arguments are for why it would be dumb to make a move for him at his current contract.

Heres my decision making process:
    1.I look at his contract, ok it is currently at 16 million dollars a year, increasing a little under 1 million dollars for the next 4 seasons, averaging around 18 million each year.
    2. Now I put his age, playing style, ect into consideration and that is why I argued he is not worth making a move for.

If he's contract was worth around 8 or 9 million, then I wouldn't worry as much about all the cons I listed before, but since it is 18 million I have to see if he's actually worth that much.

Ok lets just say you trade for him. It would take the combined contract of Battier, Jackson, Francis, Head just to make the numbers match up. And you have to throw in a 1st round pick atleast right?
    Now you have Carter, and you have him, tmac and yao combined for 52million, considering the rockets already where 9 million over the cap with Bjackson and Francis's contract coming off the books after this year.

You think ok great we have those 3 everything is fine. Well you just traded 4 players for 1 player, you have to some how fill the other 3 spots now right? But here lies the problem, you now only have the MLE (5.2Million) to sign any of your unrestricted FA, as well as FAs. And it will be just like that every season until one of those 3's contract runs out.

To me that is too much of a risk to take for the pros once you consider Carter's deficiencies.
    Its like spending 1 million dollars on a normal 1 dollar lottery ticket with the same odds. Just one of those risks you don't want to take.

18. rz04

rz04 Member

19. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

It may be true to what your saying, add guys like Jamison etc... who would choose Houston in a heart beat to win a chip here man next season, I think about it they will go where the fun is at and i doubt a guy like Jamison would pass up on a team with a dominate inside presence and 2 above average wings.

20. rz04

rz04 Member

And the New Jersey GM turned down that deal, so that tells you they expect more for Carter. And that just back up to my first post here about why Nets won't trade him just for expiring contracts. Wally's contract runs out after this season while Carter's run out in 11/12 I believe.
    Obviously the Nets expect more then expiring contracts for Carter, it even says so on the article you keep on going back to.

And why would the Rockets offer not only the expiring contracts they have, but also key pieces for a 31 year old jumpshooter?