1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vikings, Bears, and Frozen Fields Oh My

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets R' Us, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Tweets from Minnesota's kicker say the field is rock hard. Apparently Chicago filed a dispute with the league (according to the kicker, but hasn't been reported by Chicago radio outlets)....should be interesting especially with the way the league has been safe gaurding players. All Chicago players have been complaining about the hypocrisy and radio in Chicago is talking about some players contemplating refusing to go on the field due to unsafe conditions.

Oh, and it's supposed to snow another 3-6in by tonight.

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I sincerely hope they play on that field. It will be awesomely crazy.

3. Rockets R' Us

Apparently Favre upgraded to questionable, and Minnesota snow is falling. Here's current pic via @ZachZaidman (Local radio Bears reporter):
    [​IMG]
    http://twitpic.com/3hu4mo

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

If Favre played, he'd probably shatter into a thousand pieces like the T-1000 at the end of Terminator 2 the first time he got hit.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't have much interest in this game until the field became an issue. Will be like a throwback to the old Metropolitan stadium with Bud Grant's Vikings.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Love snow games. Finally pumped about Monday Night Football.

7. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

It will definitely be fun to watch, I like snow games. And sissy texans close the roof when it's like 55 degrees on national TV. Guys up north must be laughing at us.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If they had a roof, they'd close it too.

Better to have the ability to open and close a roof... rather than building a stadium that allows your roof to implode.

9. Rockets R' Us

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't get it, NFL players used to play in such conditions no? For far less money too... and the college kids - they play there right? I get it, they're professionals, blah blah blah. Can they not man up?

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Boooo, the snow has stopped before the game began.

13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Today is game day. Where else would they play? You just don't move two NFL teams last minute just hours before a game.

14. Mattj

Mattj Member

Say what you want about Favre, but he is playing in this and Peterson has sand in his v***** and is sitting. And Yes I am a bitter fantasy owner about to be knocked out of the playoffs down 6 points with only Peterson left. It just goes to show you that OU truly does suck.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Why is there such a big uproar about this? I was at that Oiler/Steeler game like 20 years ago when we won up in Pittsburgh with my Dad and his friends. It was like -30 wind chill and the field was covered in snow. I was so freaking cold it was insane. I'll never forget that game cause I yelled go defense and some jackass Steeler fan flicked me off lol. My dad nearly got in a fight with him and he walked off feeling like an idiot after he realized he flicked off a 10 year old kid :grin:

That's my little story.

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

That's easy. It's 50,000 seat stadium and which means 20,000 Vikings fans can't go to the game. It's not an NFL team stadium so it wasn't meant for football in Dec. There's no heaters so the field is frozen. Concession stands weren't meant to be used in this cold so the workers are going to freeze.

Any other questions?

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It's hilarious the city has to spend millions to fix that dome when the vikings are only leased to stay there for 1 more year.

18. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

The Vikings aren't planning on playing in another stadium anytime soon so they have to fix it.

19. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

And the city isn't spending millions. It's insured just like Reliant Stadium after the hurricane. The city of Houston didn't spend millions to fix it.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How does the Los Angeles Vikings sound?