1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Videos] Houston Rockets Training Camp Day 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 13, 2011.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can't really expect the offense to run as smoothly as before.
    Days are gone. The whole coaching stuff is gone and Finch is the only one who ran that system ....with the Vipers.
    How can Mchale bring a better defense without defensive players?
    We will see some drop off on O. D may improve, not significantly.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

* coaching staff

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I'm pretty sure the Rockets were not allowed to sign Chuck back because doing so would force them to exceed the "classy players" cap imposed in the new CBA. Some teams just don't have enough classy players so the league wants to spread them around.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

I thought they were keeping the Adelman offense, no?

5. v3.0

v3.0 Member

They say that, but each coach has their own philosophies. Adelman said he didn't want to change the defense when he took over for JVG since the D was very good, but eventually it did.

6. alethios

alethios Member

Stern wanted our classy players for himself (as the self-appointed GM of the Hornets)

7. mario713

mario713 Rookie

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/itQRvRsK7Eo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We also kept JVG's defense for a stretch and lost it.
    I just don't see it. How can we keep a system when everybody significant from the staff is gone.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't believe that at all, I think they will keep some elements of it, but not all of it, and that is one of the reasons I think they are keen to get rid of Scola and Martin, they are effective in the high post, read and react offense, but not so much in a post offense....well not Kmart, Scola can be effective in any offense.

So, Morey goes out and tries to get a low post scorer (something McHale was great at) and so far has had no luck.

You can not play Thabeet in an Adelman style of offense but you can get him to post up and go over smaller players on a jump hook....and that is what they are teaching him, so it leads me to think we are going in the way back machine to an inside out offense.

DD

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Interesting that we are going with the inside/outside offense when our personel couldn't be better suited for a running team. Low post presence and deadeye 3pt shooters don't come to mind when i think of our current roster.

11. arjun

arjun Member

i'm very excited to see twill this season

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Aruba,

I don't know that we are going that direction, I am just speculating about that based upon tidbits from McHale etc.

DD

13. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Member

I agree with DD, we saw the tail end of the practice and yes he does look lethargic in what's likely to be his make it or break it season but after practicing for 2-3 hours, I'm sure a majority of them are spent.

I for one would be pretty content with keeping Thabeet and seeing if he can play 10-15 minutes a game. Without signing Nene (and given that we lost out on both Gasol's) it doesn't look like we're going to sign a better center soon so we're most likely going to split the center position with Scola/Hill/Patterson/Thabeet.

Even with the uncertainty of this season, I am still looking forward to seeing how these guys play out.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

I'd argue though with Lowry (if last season holds), Martin, Lee, and Budinger, we have a pretty strong set of deadeye 3pt shooters.

Though, I'd be worried about running the offense through Scola inside. That's a bit of a blackhole.

15. val_modus

val_modus Member

Is the scrim video down?

16. val_modus

val_modus Member

wish we could have seen twill in the scrimmage

17. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

No updates today... I was really really looking forward to some more after practice clips...Dang...

18. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

DM is the referee? :)

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wow. Training camp lasts for one week and we got 2 games of preseason.
    That's compressed.

20. Junebball

Junebball Member

What gives me hope on Thabeet is that most of the very people dissing him now, are the same people dissed Chuck, laughed off when we picked up Mutombo, and called for Morey's head when he picked up Carl Landry in a draft. Wait did I mentioned Brooks pick ... I mean it is ridiculous that we pass a judgement on a player based on few drills that was posted here. Patient people, is that hard to ask?