1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Reed Sheppard is a Rocket! And what happened with that Clingan smokescreen? We're talking Rockets live at 10:30am CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    It's time for the second round of the Draft! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room at 3:00pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #44?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Videogames] What are the best games of all-time?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Mar 11, 2009.

1. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Seconded. These were GREAT games.

However, IMO, the greatest game I've ever played is half-life 2. It's the only game I've ever played that I honestly thought was perfect.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

OMG

i remember playing that game all day with my best friend growing up I just forgot the name of it.

lets see for me, never was that huge into games i actually just owned a genesis and didnt own another system until my 360. (i had a DC for 6 months freshman year but that was a friends i was borrowing)

so for me:
    mario 3
    sonic 2
    sonic and knuckles
    mortal kombat II
    sf2
    sunset riders
    captain america and the avengers
    soul caliber
    bubsy
    counter-strike (the original hl2 mod not now too many changes for me to play)
    COD 4
    NBA 2k2 (dreamcast)
    NFL 2k2 (Dreamcast)
    assassins creed

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

OK, here's my list. Some games I won't really explain why I listed them since they've already been mentioned and talked about.

RPG
    Xenogears - Duh.

Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross – FWIW, I think I slightly prefer Chrono Cross as well.

FF6/FF7 - Love both, but for different reasons. My favorite FF games.

Persona 4 – Think I've probably praised this game enough. Could also add some of the other SMT/Persona games (well...except Persona 1 probably), but I think I'll just limit it to my favorite.

Suikoden 2 – Love this game. Good storyline. Good music. Decent battle system. Great formula involving recruiting characters and using them in the larger battles. Great villain too.

Diablo 2 – As mentioned, easy to lose a ton of hours with this game.

Oblivion (probably replaced by Fallout 3 if/when I play it) – Great big world with lots of stuff to do. Oh yeah, and mods.

FPS
    Deus Ex – Part RPG, part FPS, 100% awesome (OK, that was lame). Great story, especially for a FPS.

Half-Life 2/Orange Box – Pretty obvious.

Thief 2 – Usually forget about this series, but I loved it. Wish we had more games like this...although I think Thief 4 is in development. It might suck though (possibly Deus Ex 3 too). :( I can be quite the pessimist sometimes.

Action-Adventure
    Silent Hill 2 – Favorite horror game. Great story with some depth. Of course, it is Silent Hill, so also plenty of freaky monsters.

God of War 2 – I'm a sucker for Greek mythology.

MGS4 (or basically MGS in general) – I love me some MGS.

Sports
    MLB The Show – I love this game, and I don't even really like baseball all that much (compared to football and basketball).

Strategy
    (don't really keep up with these games as much as I'd like, so I'll mostly refer to franchises I like)

Heroes of Might and Magic - Forgot which one I liked the most, but given this thread, probably 3.

WarCraft – StarCraft gets a lot of love, but I spent a lot of time playing Blizzard's other RTS.

Supreme Commander – Probably the best game that I can't play very much of. Great game, but it seems to always require a lot of thinking by me (duh, it is a strategy game). Unfortunately, I don't have much time where I can do that.

Never really got around to playing StarCraft that much unfortunately. Will probably check out SC2 though.

Platformer
    Super Mario World – Can't list best platformers without naming at least one Mario game. SMW was probably my favorite of the Mario games I played (besides Mario Teaches Typing of course). Still enjoy playing it to this day.

LittleBigPlanet – Great level design, but of course, the main draw to this game is the user created content. Pretty sure I saw a Contra level I think...I really need to get back into this.

Cave Story – For a free game made by one guy....pretty awesome.

Other
    Gabriel Knight: Sins of Our Fathers (Adventure) – Played this again somewhat recently and really enjoyed it. Missed out on playing the other GK games unfortunately.

Dune (Adventure/Strategy) – Probably wasn't perfect, but I don't think I ever played a game quite like this. Mixed strategy elements with an adventure game. Want more games like this please.

Wing Commander III/IV (Space Combat Sim) – Sometimes forget about this one too. Might just be nostalgia...but then again, there really hasn't been many good space-sims since then...certainly none with a similar budget.

Wirehead – Only watched about 10 minutes of gameplay, but this has to be one of the best games ever.

I could have listed some racing (GT3, SSX), fighting (Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom), puzzle (Lumines), etc., games, but since I'm not really big into some of them, I don't really consider them all-time best. Of course, lots of games I enjoy, but didn't list because they weren't as good as other, somewhat similar games IMO (Full Throttle, King's Quest, Space Quest, Parasite Eve, etc.).

I'm still really mad that I lost my copy of this game...and I was only 15%-20% in. :(

Thinking about giving the Baldur's Gate series a try...

4. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Oooooh!!!! X-com UFO deffense. What a classic. That sapped hours upon hours away from my life. :)

5. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

To add to this, I liked The Colonel's Bequest and Conquests of Camelot. Those Sierra games where you typed in the commands were a blast.

6. joesr

joesr Member

RPGs

Chrono Trigger
    Definitely agree.
    Final Fantasy 7
    I prefer 3 over this one or any others. Waaaaay better story line.
    Fallout 3
    Hmm, Oblivion should be on this list then. Same thing except its swords and magic, not guns n bullets. Oblivion has a better storyline and more questing as well. But I still pick TES3.
    Best RPG? Ultima 7: The Black Gate. Look up Exult if interested in playing it on today's CPU. Huge Ultima and TES fan though.

Shooters

Halo 3 and CoD4

Mario Kart Wii
    Truly, this game never really gets old. It's always fun to play with friends, since no one is ever out of a race (better power-ups for being in the back).

I want to play this.... :(

Sports

NBA 2k09

Strategy

X-Com: the UFO Defense
    Rule #2 really came back to bite me here. I mostly lost my taste for strategy games fairly early on in life, even though my resolve was tested severely by the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series and Master of Orion 2. The reason? X-Com just absolutely outclasses EVERYTHING. To this day. Decades old, and still no one's topped it (perhaps yes in one aspect or another, but not as a complete package).

I still got this game on my computer, love it!

Civ 3 and 4. 3 because I started with that one, 4 just cause I started playing this one recently and still getting used to it.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3, got me started. Skipped all the to Rot3K 11 which I am playing right now.

MMORPG

WoW
    Of course

7. joesr

joesr Member

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I forgot about Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and it was even mentioned in the OP. Only played a couple (I think 6 and 7?), but I loved them. Maybe I should check out XI too...

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

No mentioning of Packman? :(

Loadrunner was ground breaking in the 80s.

Warcraft II. OMG, it was beautiful. I challenge any gaming company today to make an as good game under DOS. Can you believe it, that game ran under DOS!

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, loved it.

Heroes of Mighty Magic II was great too.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Started playing Civ II. The whole Civ series is just amazing.

12. AGBee

AGBee Member

Hmm...ashamed I forgot that one. Absolutely one of the best adventure games ever.

13. joesr

joesr Member

I'll give my recommendations for it for sure. So detailed. Just dont get mad when you best fighter betrays you like me, rawr.

and yeah YallMean, Civ is just too sweet. I have a hard time pick between that and the Romance series.

But no Ultima fans eh?

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Super Tecmo Bowl

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

counterstrike
    street fighter

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I made a whole thread on this topic awhile ago. It baffles me that Square hasn't yet made this happen.

Is this really as fun as Zelda's overhead view? I have a hard time seeing this working quite as well with a side-scrolling view. Is there an overhead map or anything?

I'll have to check that one out. I dig early open-world games... not familiar with this, though.

I love these, especially 3. It's a real shame 2's battle system was so brokenly terrible, or more people would've played 3.

Taken as a single game, Xenosaga 1-3 might have the best story ever told in a game. If the combat systems were more consistently interesting, they'd be all-time greats.

Romance 7 was the hardest for me to leave off my list, but I was just following my own rules.

Sounds like I'll have to check out Suikoden 2. Those games always sounded good to me, but I was getting mixed reports about which one to get.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

oh yeah i forgot another one:

[​IMG]

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

No, this game is not for the faint of heart. Took me good 5 years of my childhood (ages 8 to 13) of playing, quitting then playing it to beat the game. If watch some of the walk through online, you'll see why. Not only are there houses/tree trunks etc. that you have to figure out where to go to get through, if you watch the video walk through, there are places where you literally be lucky to find.

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Really now? So you're saying that being ludicrously OCD about finding secrets is necessary to beat this game?

Sounds like my kinda game! Haha. Even moreso, sounds like my brothers kinda game. Just downloaded it and dumped it in the ol' emulated games folder. I'll definitely have to give it a shot when I find time.

20. AGBee

AGBee Member

I mentioned Ultima 7...I think one or two others have mentioned the series.

6 was the first one I played so I can't comment too much on the earlier titles.

The spinoff games were good too...Savage Empire/Martian Dreams/Ultima Underworld.