1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[VIDEO] Why James Harden is the Most UNDERRATED Player in NBA HISTORY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vlaurelio, Sep 2, 2016.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I mean, who else can you compare him to? MJ, Lebron and Oscar are the only people to accomplish what Harden accomplished. They are LITERALLY the only people to compare his numbers to.

2. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

What Klay did last playoffs saving the Warriors from elimination vs okc while taking on the scoring load and chasing Westbrook on defense was nothing short of amazing.

When you say #1 option I hope you mean just on offense (and even that is debateable). If you mean who you would pick as your cornerstone player I think Klay would be my choice over Harden.

cheke64 likes this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Klay's team just won 73 games and didn't manage to win a championship, which might be the biggest choke job in NBA history. Crediting him for saving not having an even bigger choke is not amazing. They should have beat OKC with ease.

No, no it is not debatable offensively. Harden slaughters Klay Thompson offensively. It is laughably not close. Now defensively, it is actually debatable.

Sorry to be mean, but If you would seriously pick Klay over Harden, then you are ignorant, or just plain dumb.

BigMaloe likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So...for your cornerstone player...you take a 3 and D player?

WELP...

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. rm365

Do you really think he can only shoot threes?
    I don't agree that Klay's offensive repertoire only involves shooting threes. He can do it all.

Maybe he doesn't drive or stepback quite as well as Harden but maybe that's because he plays on a better team and doesn't have to contort himself night in and night out carrying the load and practicing difficult shots.
    Taking threes is very efficient and effective.

Also defense is important. Harden hopefully can pick it up this upcoming season.

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

get some real playoff success first. he has a wcf appearence, not bad, but thats it. and it was a gentleman's sweep.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

His repertoire involves shooting wide open threes, pull up 3s, coming around screens for 3s and coming off screens for layups.

Hardens repertoire is legit every facet of offense. Name a style or particular part of offense and harden has it.

Klay is significantly better defensively than harden. Klay is significantly overrated defensively.

If you want klay over harden, your painstakingly being a hater and picking klay out of spite

8. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

Lol! Can't take you serious after that choice.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

who was the best sg in the rockets vs warriors first round matchup?

did he have an "amazing" performance in the finals?

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

1) There is no real evidence that Klay Thompson can capably dribble, pass, drive, play-make, or carry an offense as the number 1 option. His offense is predicated on 3's and the occasional slash to the rim. That's fine, and he's very good at it, but that's how it is.

2) Klay is better at defense than Harden. The degree to which he is is vastly overstated.

3) It's not Klay Thompson's fault that he's on a great team that does not require him to carry the load, but it's also not reasonable to assume he can based on the skills he has shown.

11. andersongo

andersongo Member

Not John Stockton. Not Gary Payton. Not Dr J. Not the Round Mound of Rebound. Not Mitch Richmond. And certainly not Karl Malone. No my good Sir. None of those guys but James ****ing Harden, a guy who according to his team mate is definitely going to finally play defense this year and who was benched for stinking up the joint when his team made one of the greatest comeback in playoffs history. He also has done ****ed all till now.
    There is being a homer and then there is this video. Has OP not watched the Rockets this past season?

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

have you?

if you are given the chance to fix las season's debacle with two actions, what will you do?

1. upgrade coaching staff
    2. upgrade roster around harden
    3. trade harden (for who)
    4. do nothing and simply demand more from harden

13. val_modus

val_modus Member

He had back to back BALLOUT performances in game one and two of that series that saw us a few possessions away from stealing both road games from the Warriors... And this was all without two starters, one of which was arguably your second best offensive option all season.

14. rm365

Oh cmon he is obviously a good passer. Just about everyone on the Warriors is. It's a big part of their success.
    Have you watched Klay play much? He is a good slasher and good in transition too.

The counter to your argument that Klay is an unknown as a #1 option is the playoffs where he carried the Warriors while Curry was out or playing uncharacteristically poorly.
    The playoffs aka the big stage. Chasing Westbrook around while doing it. Could you imagine Harden draped on RW for a grueling series and getting his own on offense?

Wait no because the Rockets staff would have a heart attack at the thought of putting Harden on RW.

I like Harden. He is offensively very gifted and I actually find him fun to watch (on offense).

No hate. I try to tell it as I see it.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No he's not. He has a career 2.3 to 1.8 assist to turnover ratio. Saying he's "obviously a good passer" is not grounded in reality.

As for the Warriors as a team passing the ball, of course they're good. They have great coaching, a great system, and great playmakers like Green, Curry, Iguodala, and now Durant. Klay does not play that role for them.

You keep basing Klay's ability to be the #1 option off these singular games where he got absurdly hot shooting the ball. Yes, that's something he's capable of, and I'm not saying he would be some sort of disaster as a top option, but singling out games where he performed to that level and leaving out the one's where he did not perform to that level doesn't tell the story at all.

Also...LOL at him being "draped" on Westbrook. Not only was that not the case, but it ignores the multiple elite defenders that surround Klay.

I agree. It'd be like putting Steph Curry on Russell Westbrook. Hence why it's ideal to surround great players with other great players, something Harden has lacked during his time in Houston.

I don't think you're hating at all. I just don't think you're seeing the entirety of the picture. It's important to remember that Harden and Klay have, for the past few years, operating on entirely separate wavelengths when it comes to supporting talent/coaching/schemes/etc.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

How exactly did Klay save the Warriors from elimination against OKC? In those elimination games, Curry clearly outplayed Klay in 2 of the 3 games and was at least on par with him for the 3rd game.

17. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Yep, Klay is getting so overrated. Curry pretty much carried those guys night in night out.