1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[VIDEO] Why James Harden is the Most UNDERRATED Player in NBA HISTORY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vlaurelio, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Last year you definitely put Kawhi and CP3 over him, plus others who had fantastic years and played hard on both sides of the ball.

I agree with Harden either #2 or #3 two years ago, but I think he declined more than people realized last year. The lack of effort on D (or just being out of shape) and the live ball turnovers were really harmful and show up in his plus/minus numbers. I don't even care about the leadership, which most people thing was bad too.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I agree both were harmful, but both have also been overstated. Much more harmful to last year was half of the roster having the worst years of their career and bottom 5 coaching. 'Twas a true team-wide failure.

Having said that...it will be up to Harden to start the year off right next year to set the tone, something he did not do well last year.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you are the one who is making the bigger assumption that mchale/jbb, pbev, brewer, ariza, dmo, d12, tjones, jsmith, jterry, and kj are an instant 2nd round team just by simply replacing harden with klay or lowry

harden has the heaviest burden in the league. even greater than Lebron.

playing 38 minutes a game being the only offensive focus at the same time producing elite points, assists, and rebounds will take a toll on anyone. even lebron.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I'm not placing anybody else on this team like that. You never read a comment from me saying replace Harden with X player and see what would have happened.. That **** is so damn ludicrous to me. Why because it didn't happen and it won't happen no time soon. So please do not lump me into that category with you guys. I believe in dealing with real time, the actual facts verse some fairytale mumbo jumbo.

And your point, he's compensated quite nicely wouldn't you say. And he's not the first player who had to carry a heavy load and he most definitely won't be the last one.

I will say this again he's not the first player to average those type of minutes. Hell Jordan was averaging 40 at one point in his career and always played 38+. So let's back away from that lame excuse.

As long as Harden is young and is playing at the Superstar level that he plays. He will always play heavy minutes.

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

You need to factor in his effect on OUR team's defense. That is where he gets downgraded. As well as how his attitude towards the coaches and other teammates impacts others.

What it comes down to is 'Does he make the other players on the team better?' If not, he is very similar to someone not on your list...Carmelo. Who you don't hear much about anymore...because he doesn't make those around him better, and hence his team's don't win.

A top 3 talent with middle of the pack effort, defense, and leadership isn't necessarily a good thing. His talent makes those other failings worse.

How often would you say that Harden is clicking on all cylinders? More importantly, how often would you say he is exerting maximum effort? Unless the answer to that last question is 'almost all the time', he doesn't belong on an elite player list, but rather on a list of players with wasted talent.

cheke64 likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Vastly UnderRated

Rocket River

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Carmelo's team has been winning his entire life, it's just the Knicks that suck.

8. val_modus

val_modus Member

I can't really knock him too much for being out of shape to start the season due to an ankle injury out of his control; especially when you consider the unhuman-like numbers he boasted the last 40 games of the season.

Kawhi and CP3 are surrounded by other superstars and allstars. Not only is the same not true about James Harden, but what other "leader" on a playoff team had double the points and assists of the next highest guy on his team? The disparity in talent with the Rockets's roster last year is too immense to ignore and burden on Harden. Combine that with the fact that guys like Kawhi and CP3 have had roster continuity, and more importantly coaching continuity, and I think you can start to at least respect why Harden sympathizers feel the way that they do.

9. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

2 self renounded jeremy lin fans have made a response video to mike korzemba calling james harden overrated

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fedZwgnKU8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

proof that they are jeremy lin fans

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/djM4lK9_940" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

guys it seems that warrior and jeremy lin fans are using social media to try and destroy james hardens career.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Self renounded

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you think these videos are going to destroy James Harden's career, you're a bigger moron than the Lin fans who put them together. :rolleyes: seriously. get a grip man.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Woot new season lol. I'm pretty sure Harden in the top 4-10 in the NBA easy, you put guys like him who can carry a team on their back on top. And no, WB is not better than him, Harden has been carrying the Rockets to playoffs ever since he got here, the only time WB led a team was the only time OKC missed the playoffs ever since KD and the gang matured.

1. Lebron

2. KD (healthy)
    3. Curry (healthy)
    4. Draymond Green (if he can sustain his play last year which was ridiculous)
    5. Harden/Kawhi

I don't know why but everyone seems to love to underrate Kawhi, is it because he plays for the Spurs? Kawhi is a defensive MVP and he's super efficient offensively, he is elite at one side and above average on the other that makes him more or less as good as Harden IMHO. And he is consistent even in the playoffs, whereas Harden will have moments when he sucks and doesn't contribute anything. Btw it reallys sucks we could've have had both together but we just had to choose baby Melo....

13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Draymond green at 4?

Get out of here with that nonsense. He's a nice player for sure that bay superstar would love to have by his side because he's a jack of all trades but he is not a superstar he's not a top 10 player and tbh I he wasn't on the Warriors winning at the pace he wouldn't be an Allstar.

And go back and check Kawi Leonard out in the playoffs the last two years, he's been flat out garbage, especially last year in the OKC series. He's the reason they couldn't beat OKC because he can't get his own shot when it matters. The guy was pitiful in the 2nd half of games in the playoffs

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This was a pretty solid post outside of having Draymond Green as the 4th best player in the NBA which is silly.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Green last year was just as important to GSW as Curry, he played great defense, made passes and shot at a very efficient clip while providing spacing for all the other guys. He was also the mental pillar of the squad and provided a lot of toughness to an otherwise mostly "finesse" team. What do you mean he's not a superstar? I guess any role player in the NBA can average 14 pts/9.5 rebs/7.4 assists/1.5 steals/1.4 blocks. And he's only 25 years old, he hasn't even reached his peak yet.

Being indispensable in the league isn't all about being the leading scorer, utility guys are really important too and a guy as versatile and solid as Green is really hard to find, most stretch PFs in the NBA like Ryan Anderson suck really bad at D. Maybe talent wise he's not top 10, but if you care about winning games then he's definitely a top 10 player in the league and based on how badly Harden played last year I have no issues putting Green higher.

As for Kawhi, using OKC last year is a bad comparison because that's just 7 games, you need at least 30 to be statistically relevant. 3 years ago Kawhi played so well he became finals MVP, and in that series he guarded LBJ who is superior to KD. Everyone has a bad series, remember when Harden got owned by Wes Matthews? And, just like Harden last year Kawhi is suffering from having a ball dominant low post scorer in Aldridge who clogged the paint, having someone in the post allowed opponents to put more pressure on Kawhi when he started driving in the ball which made scoring harder. If even an offensive juggernaut like Harden can stall due to having the paint get congested, what more a guy like Kawhi who isn't as good offensively?

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm not saying that draymond green is not good and that there are a bunch of players who can do what he does because their isn't. I never called him a role player either.... but he is not the 4th best player in the league and he's not a superstar.

Look at him in team USA for instance. He wasn't in his comfort zone playing in a system tailored for his skill set with prior to this year had 2 elite shooters around him (now he has 3).... what happened? He couldn't even get in the games, when he did he was a non factor.

I like green as a player (person not so much) I would love for him to be out starting PF for the next 10 years over anyone outside of Anthony Davis. He's the perfect pick and roll player in a space and pace offense he's a very good defender and pretty solid on the boards.

With all that said he's not a guy who can be the best player on a team and imo even make the playoffs. he was not the most important player on that team last year. That's crazy talk they had the 2x MVP who just put up the best regular season of all time from a guard on offense. You don't think having klay and Steph shooting damn near 50% on 3s as a very big reason why green avg almost 8 assists? He's a good playmaker out of the pick and roll in that he can hit guys for the corner 3 but he's not an elite playmaker were he's hitting pocket passes, cross court whip passes or attacking defenses and getting in the paint and kicking out for threes or easy shots for his bigs.

Your overrating Green a lot I don't think there's a GM in basketball that would rate him as the 4th best player in the league. Or even pick him as 1 of the 10 players you would want to start your franchise with.

Honestly I'm a lot more critical of Leonard. He was good in the finals MVP year were they beat a very banged up heat team but in reality while yes he played great D on Lebron no doubt, but he was not the reason they won that series. There shooting and ball movement was some of the best team basketball we've seen over the past 25 years that series.

And to go back to his last year in the playoffs, I don't buy that Lamarcus Aldridge is hindering him by clogging the paint. LMA is nothing like Dwight he plays a majority of his possession out of the paint. He makes it easier for Leonard to get in the paint because defenses cant leave LMA because they know he'll burn you from 18-20ft.

I think Leonard is the poster child for clear cut number 2 on a team. For how good the Spurs have looked the past two years and the talent and coaching they have. The rockets have still went further than them over the last two years.

17. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

i wouldnt take any of those guys over harden, except a younger lebron

18. MistaK

MistaK Member

Green was very important that is correct, that doesn't automatically make him one of the best players in the league. He is nowhere near a top 5 player in the league.

To me Green is to the Warriors what Odom was to the Lakers. He was crucial to their success - a big that was gritty, with an outside shot, could guard multiple positions, etc. While, like Green, he wasn't considered the #1 or #2 option on that team, he did play his role extremely well and was very crucial to their success and yet, he wasn't a top 10 player in the league.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Put Draymond Green on some random team like the Nuggets and try to tell me he's still a Top 5 player. lmao.

20. mightybosstone

I watched this video when this thread first got posted and lost interest after the guy used the same basic stat argument that everyone uses with Harden's season last year. Using points, rebounds and assists to make a case for a player's greatness in 2016 is like chiseling your grocery list in stone with a hammer and pick. It's archaic. I love Harden, and he is seriously underrated. But the guy unquestionably had a down year last year by anyone who watched the guy play and has the slightest knowledge of efficiency.

I'd still definitely call him a top 5-7 player in the league and think he has potential to go down as one of the 5-10 greatest SGs in NBA history, but comparing him to MJ, Oscar and Lebron because of the 29/6/7 argument is totally ludicrous.