1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video: The Houston Rockets May Have Had One of the Best Drafts Ever!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Aug 11, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Even if I agreed with your tunnel vision, Wood's value can only increase after showcasing him another season.

Top of 2023 draft is better than 2022 anyway.

I highly doubt that Tilly's goal is to have 5 max contract players in 2026.

Cannot just have a team full of MVPs, the bill will come due sooner than you think.

Thunder learned that quick.

Cstyle42 and Fyreball like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It will not be a disaster.

Last year, ABSOLUTELY tank tank tank. What was the upside? They had very few potential all star players to even develop winning habits for.

This year, there is definitely something to be said about developing winning habits. Is it something I'd worry about for Sengun? No. But as impressed as I've been with Green and his on court maturity, like last game, I do think he is the type of player that you want to enforce winning habits from the get go.

If they do that, AND suck, fine. But Im not sure at this point we should be actively trying to do that.

Regarding Wood, I'd ABSOLUTELY trade him for REAL STRONG VALUE. Multiple picks, ideally unprotected, plus a young player type thing. But I'm not doing that super proactively... feelers, but that's it. I think, based on Stone's mo so far, i suspect he's looking at it from an optionality perspective. See how things are going, make moves from there. CWood plays AMAZING, you got a great chip. He plays amazing and the young guys play amazing and they're competitive, go for it being competitive. Everybody sucks... go for more suckage. That type of thing.

And then, mind you, its about smart drafting, not just positional drafting. If the Rockets got the 3rd pick instead of the 2nd this year, high likelihood we are watching Mobley in summer league, and ABSOLUTELY Mobley may become a dominant unicorn big in time, and this point that's something id be far less excited about. Yet Stone still pluck Sengun at 16. Klay went 11th. Booker 13th. Mitchell in the 10s. Heck Steph was 6th.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

With 3 first round picks at your disposal again next year tanking is out of the question! Just use your assets to move up. Last year it was a necessary evil.

D-rock likes this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wood's value can only increase? Are you serious? Every day he inches closer to his next deal, is value lost. Not too mention, he could get injured, like he has just about every year he has been in the league. His could become the next Olidipo situation.

Are you really trying to argue that the Thunder were in a bad position winding up with Harden, Westbrook and Durant?

But hey, I am open. Walk me through your next 4 years. How does this team become a contender? I want to know their draft position, their free agents. You tell me how this team becomes a contender.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I was expecting to tank for at least one more year. But after this draft, I feel that we have a very promising group of young players we can build on. No need to intentionally tank again. If only two of these guys become star level players, we are going to have a bright future. The highest priority now is to develop these guys in the right way.

I am not against acquiring more draft assets and young players. But it should come in the context of value rather than tanking. We do need some unselfish veteran presence to nurture the kids. Wall needs to go to make room for Green and Porter. I am fine with keeping EG if he can still find some fun playing here. Get some solid veteran who don't mind taking a back seat and is willing to do whatever to help the team.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

The way the guy in the video talks about Senguns defense as "oooookaayyyy" with an expression like even that's too much praise makes me realize he only watched highlights. Stellar all around defense has been the most shocking part of Sengun so far.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thunder ended up in bad position because they had to pay ALL of their top draft picks all around the same time.

They all starting peaking at the same time as well.

The Lakers with Kobe and Shaq did it better and longer.

So did Spurs.

So did GSW.

So did Bulls.

Think of ANY of the championship dynasties.

Thunder should not be our role model. They have ZERO championships.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

EXACTLY!!!!

Not necessary to carpet bomb next draft, be surgical.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hakeem was.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. No intentional tanking. Also, no trading just to get in the playoffs. Unless something spectacular presents itself, just be patient and play the youngsters heavy minutes. Next year you will probably be able to jettison or buy-out Wall without giving up assets. Gordan and House will probably be gone this year for second round picks.

11. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

We don't need to intentionally tank, but if we do suck ... preferrably suck for next two years since we have our own pick

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The ideal scenario would be for them to be great picks on a bad team so we can add another talented young player in the draft next summer.

13. larsv8

Thunder ended up in a "bad" (not bad, they were contenders for years) position because they foolishly paid Perkins rather than locking up their big three. They could have even moved Ibaka to sign all three. Heck they could of traded Westbrook and kept Harden and would have won multiple titles, but instead made mistake after mistake in managing their assets.

Lakers were gifted peak Shaq, that's not happening here.
    Spurs managed to draft hall of famers at pick 28 and 54. Good luck.
    Golden State drafted a hall of famer in the second round. Good luck.
    Bulls drafted the greatest player of all time.

So you're plan is too either hope Green is the new GOAT, or draft a couple HOFs in the second round. I'm sorry, but that is just not realistic.

Those are outlier situations, and moving forward with what we have now is likely only going to get us on the treadmill.

It is highly possible, dare I say even probable, that Green ends up a Zach Lavine caliber player. Could he be better? Sure. What about Sengun? He could be a Vucevic. Would you be happy being the Bulls in 4 years? I sure as **** wouldn't.

If you want a dynasty, you need multiple stars, and this is our opportunity. Don't blow it by trying to make the playoffs next season.

Rocket River likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . like clubbing baby seals

[​IMG]

Rocket River

Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

People actually think we can pick if we want to tank or not next year?

We're going to tank because we're still going to be bad. Believe it or not, adding only rookies to the worst team in the league does not immediately result in wins.

Happy with the draft, but let's not pretend we have options just yet.

csnerd84 likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do you think Sengun make Wood redundant?

Rocket River

17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You realize that, since 1980, only 11 players picked in the top 3 won it all with the team that drafted them right? Some of them weren't even the best player.

Picking in the top 5 isn't even a leading indicator of wins in future seasons.

Having the number 1 pick is better than having the 30th pick, but the idea that tanking is the "right" way to rebuild is a resounding (and statistically robust) no.

18. larsv8

False, tanking gives you the absolute best chance to get the best players. Its up to you to pick the right players, but it gives you the best opportunity.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think they're the perfect fit long term, but near term absolutely not.

The long term issue is principally because of defense...

BUT... Sengun at least in summer league has been surprisingly good at defense. And Wood has his moments...

Offensively i actually like it. Both guys can post up or start on the perimeter. And Sengun is a really good passer.

But in any case... we should see it in action first.

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Hopefully at the trade deadline. Wood's contract is up right when the team could be ready to compete for the postseason, it would be great to get something like a mid first for him at the deadline.

Nook likes this.