1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Video: The Houston Rockets May Have Had One of the Best Drafts Ever!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Aug 11, 2021.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

say it like it is brother This is all entertainment.

if u don’t let it be more than that it’s so much fun.

xtruroyaltyx and hakeem94 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood is only in year 2 of "who he is".

And he is a 20/10 player, burgeoning All Star and MIP candidate.

conquistador#11 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Ignore those people.

They cling on to anything to make themselves feel better about the fact TF alone was enough to cause a mass exodus.

Milos likes this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If you look at possession data, he has been a 20/10 guy since 2018.

If you like him on the team, that's great, sign him back in free agency in two years.

But for now, we need to extract long term value and not sabotage our draft position.

There are two spots to be in the NBA, either drafting in the top 5, or fighting for homecourt in the playoffs. Anything else is a complete and total waste of a year. Do the rebuild RIGHT.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone seems to be doing the rebuild right.

Other than Wall, he's made all the right moves.

Including signing the 20/10 Christian Wood on a relatively cheap contract and who's game fits all our young players.

I'm willing to be patient with his plan considering the haul Rockets received in this draft.

The backlog on this team is at guard, that is the position that needs trimming.

Wood is still only Rocket 6'10 or taller.

GOOGOOMECHUCK likes this.
  7. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i think that's exactly what they will be and should be worried about. He already said he wants the max and there's no way we'd be able to pay him that and keep all our other young players should they command large raises too. so we might as well get something for him, especially if senguin looks to command a max raise too. its not like we're winning a championship anytime soon so he may not fit our window anyways....

having said that, i would still want more than just a first from a contender as it likely won't be a good first. i'd only trade him for an unprotected first from a bad team. He's worth more than a bad first rounder IMO.

8. larsv8

I have absolutely zero interest in balancing the roster by position or size, right now.

Rockets need to be getting the most talented players at any position or height. If that means running 4 guards, then so be it.

Balancing the roster comes later, presumably in the offseason of 23.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about KPjr? This is HIS team at the moment. He's likely a franchise player. Now, we apparently have other(s)....."It's good to be the king"....:D

As to Christian - I'm saying we deal him right before the deadline.(or not) Let him be healthy, playing with KPjr for a stretch at least. Put up numbers. Let everyone including US see what we've got. Then maybe extract maximum value. If we do, we'll crater afterwards. That's the earliest I Wood trade CW.

D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't blame Stone for Wall. I blame Ferntitties and Harden. Tilman's loud griping of CP3's contract, and assuaging Harden at all costs, and Lame Duck Dan Tony's contract situation (no great way to tell a coach to f*** off, I guess), which led to Westbrick, resulting in a situation where everybody wanted to leave. Which led to Wall.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Dude, you make it sound like Wood is a 15/7 guy taking up tons of cap space for the next 4 years, and blocking other players from developing. Wood is only 25, on an INCREDIBLY reasonable deal for the next 2 seasons, will be a 22/10 guy at minimum, and will allow Şengün and Garuba time to develop and build their frames for the grind of NBA basketball. The Rockets need good, solid veterans on this roster to ensure these young guys don't build bad habits both on and off the court. And if the Rockets end up winning games because Wood, Green, and KPJ actually have chemistry, how exactly is that a bad thing?? Winning is a mindset, and you want the young guys to taste that early on. Otherwise, it's very easy to turn into the Kings or the Magic.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden wanted nothing to do with Wall.

Westbrook leaving was a domino effect of MDA not being re-signed (Russ trusted and respected Mike, wanted to play for him) and Morey leaving.

Russ saw writing on wall pretty quick.

And may have been privy to Harden's growing dissatisfaction with the Rockets FO and ownership.

But I'm tired of relitigating this topic, past is past.

More interested in current team and where it could go.

13. Nero

Nero Member

Oh I know, I was just following where you pointed - you were right to be sarcastic! :)

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just acquiring 19 years old is poor strategy, using only draft to improve team is myopic.

Acquiring the BEST players via every way possible is better strategy.

End game is contending for a championship not playing NBA 2K.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm not re-litigating anything. I'm not saying Westbrook was entirely wrong. He found how the organization kowtowed to Harden's every whim.

But acquiring him in the first place was a mistake. Morey knew it wouldn't work. But we got him because Harden wanted him here....(and Tilman saw the STAR NAME) but that became untenable.

Past is past, true. I like the draft we had, a lot.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

And for the next 10 years, we would be talking about when the Euro stashes would actually play for the Rockets.

cheke64 likes this.
  17. larsv8

Its not about Wood not being good, nor is it about development, nor his cap hit. None of that matters

Getting the 10th or 12th pick in the next two years, as opposed to the 3rd and 5th is a disaster. It will have huge long lasting implications for years. That's how you become a Memphis, Sacramento, Washington or a Charlotte. Winning 30 games, instead of 15 does not help you in any way shape or form. Winning habits, chemistry, blah blah, that is just meaningless rhetoric. The teams with the most talent win, period. Stock up on potential Superstars while you have the chance to do so.

Commit to bottoming out, do this RIGHT.

18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This is not Porter's team yet..........he only played 25 games a PG...he need more time at that position and more time to prove he is a leader. Last season, in those 25 games he was up and down the whole relating to his shooting and defense. We need leadership on this team and that why we still have Wall and Gordon and just sign Theis....We need leaders and toughness to battle in the NBA

19. conquistador#11

The NBA2K franchise mode of rebuilding has only worked for OKC . It will never be successfully duplicated again.
    Which other has done that? only acquire 18-23 year to rebuild successfully?
    I guess you can say the 76ers but that's only because their lottery picks kept flunking out of the league.

I love how Stone is doing it not as much as Felicia but I'm loving it. Granted there had to be divine intervention, for example Oladipo not accepting the contract he was offered. How else do you explain it but the gods stepping in.

Wood is young and I'm only trading him for a disgruntled superstar still in his 20s.

D-rock likes this.
  20. larsv8

I don't advocate just acquiring 19 years old. I advocate for acquiring 19 year olds for the next two years, then using cap space, and then in another two years trading Brooklyn picks.

I am all for acquiring the best players, just not when it hurts our draft position.

Right now, you have a golden opportunity to get the best assets in the business. Its only a short window, but right now you have the position and the excuse to do so. To pass that up for Christain Freaking Wood, who can walk in two years would be a absolute disaster. A complete mismanagement of your rebuild timeline.