1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video: T-Mac's 8 minutes vs. Thunder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 19, 2009.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Look at 2:40, do you count that as explosive?

2. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

When Tmac doesn't jack up random shots or take early 20 footers, he otherwise displays very good knowledge of the game, knowing when to pass it and when to shoot it.

That's what he needs to do. Especially now, when he's older and lost a half step (still has very rangy, deceptive first step quickness though) .....and the micro surgery thing of course.....he has to learn to play within the system. If he is willing to accept a pay cut after this year he can still be a star but play within the team concept.

I know I'm a Tmac fan, but one who has limits too (hey don't think all of those 1st round exits never bothered me. I don't think he should be traded this year or after (assuming he doesn't want to resign at the current pay level) nor do I think teams are quite wiling yet.

Tmac still poses a threat on offense with his size and skill level ,which is clearly above anyone else here besides Aaron Brooks (but he's too short). His passing alone impacts everyone else around him, simply through his understanding of the game and vision.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that's the play i was talking about and why i'm confidence he'll improve by a lot. green gave him some space and wasn't caught out of defensive position and tracy just blew by him with ease.

the main problem remains being more confident out there, and just attack. the way he attacked the rim was pretty timid.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

McGrady doesn't look as lean as I thought he looked in videos back in the offseason. Has he really lost weight, or is he pretty much at where he was last year?

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

He still has a rather deceptively quick and rangy first step but on that play, the defender was flying and jumping out to defend the jumpshot (faked out by Tmac) and that was how he was able to get around to the rim so quick.

6. wingz0

wingz0 Member

You're right, he does seem to be a little bulkier than in those off-season workout vids.

Far from last year though. Last year he came in playing and you could see that belly sticking out of his uniform. This year he looks much much better. I doubt he's able to maintain the size he was at when he was younger though. I think he's reaching the age where his metabolism's starting to slow down.

7. PeppermintCandy

Budinger got 13 minutes right after playing 40+ in his first start against Detroit. I don't think that's going to be the norm. And if Chase had not gotten injured tonight, I bet he would've played 20 or more and Ariza would've played less and gotten some rest.

On topic, it's interesting that Adelman opted to play McGrady, Ariza, and Battier at the same time, with McGrady matching up against Jeff Green, their PF, on the defensive end. An inventive solution to not having Landry, I thought.

8. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

The beard makes him look bulkier. But, he is not where he was last year, he was not in good shape last year at all.

Durvasa, how do you think McGrady looks?

9. rox81

rox81 Member

He's looked as good as can be reasonably expected for someone coming back from microfracture surgery and playing just 8 minutes - not enough time to get into the rhythm of the game.

Yes, his shoot looks off (for now), but so did MJ's when he came back in '95. Granted, his layoff was nearly two years long, but let's not forget how sloppy MJ first looked that March when he returned. And how he choked in Game 6 of the Orlando series, getting his pocket picked with the game on the line, ending Chicago's playoff run. It took many months before MJ was MJ again. (Stop right now if you think I'm saying T-Mac was ever a Jordan-quality player. That's not what this is about.)

Does T-Mac look rusty? Yup. Does that mean his career is doomed? Nope. Is it too early to make any firm conclusions? Yup. Will I stop this annoying habit of answering my own questions?

10. rodmanhust

rodmanhust Member

He seems pretty nervous on the court.
    for a proven player, it's like going through rookie season again to earn the coach's favor.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's alright. Not as good as I hoped, but not as bad as I feared.

His jump shot looks flat to me, compared to last season, but he knows how to get his shot off. He has a knack for finding open people. I don't see the explosiveness for finishing around the basket (I believe all 3 of his makes have come outside of 20 feet). Defensively, he's competing hard in contesting shots and using his length well. He'll struggle guarding players with quickness or getting around screens.

12. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

He looks fine physically but definitely rusty and slower. I am sure he will get some explosiveness back but obviously not like the old Tmac.

13. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

you can see at 2:23 after the shot, he is not favoring that knee.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What? You mean Tim Grover was lying?

;)

I think he looks better, but agree with most everyone else, a step slow....but the good news is he is not favoring his knee, maybe it will just take him to have one of those days where he just goes off and the knee feels fine for him to truly trust it.

Because to me he looks to be going about 70% speed.

DD

15. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

He looked good to me. I'm getting excited.

16. itony

itony Member

From these clips yeah he might look good but you didn't see every part of it i dont think.

I watched him in the offense and if this was a few years ago yeah he looked normal but he doesn't provide any motion and doesn't run around screens and create confusion for the defense. he's not moving the ball looking for the easy shots which is what I believe we want to run. He stays in one spot,usually the top and passes or does his thing. I was not impressed by his overall contribution but I have to admit that he does draw attention and I love the fact that he is a good passer.

On defense, imo it seemed like he was doing an OK job but you can tell that any of those guys could burn him at will he really looks a step or so slow which will hurt our team defense.

17. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

i think now everybody has him under the microscope, so you are watching his every move. I mean literally his every move.

18. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Durvasa, I think he is still improving. Look at 2:23, after he gets his shot off, he continues to jump with his left foot. Usually when you are injured, you wouldn't be doing that. So hopefully he gets better throughout the season. What do you expect from him Durvasa? I'm expecting a better 07-08 McGrady.

19. itony

itony Member

Just letting you know my 2 cents :grin:

I mean I'm a t-mac fan (no not a tof) and am excited to see him come back and help but not at the expense of the team and what we are doing this year.
    You see him come back make a fancy pass here and a nice three there but outside of that what does he contribute? When you don't have the ball you gotta be doing other things like cutting setting picks among other things know what I mean? On defense you hope the player will hustle and not just let the guy run by you for an easy shot while you try poorly to swipe at the ball (which I believe is becoming his signature move). Those are the exact things people complain are his problems and were hoping he would change and do. I personally just hope he plays more in to the motion offense and gains back his athleticism to the tmac we like.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that beard always makes him look heavier, body wise, you have to consider his body composition. He's probably bigger than he's been in his prime, but it's probably because he's got more muscle on him, where last season it was more fat.