1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Shaquille O'Neal: Healthy Yao could be a top 5 center ever

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Jul 19, 2011.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Stupid comment

personal workouts are not what you imagine

Dream went there, showed him one move. Dwight or anyone else repeated that. He was repeating and repeating through the point when he can copy it at almost 100%. Then Dream showed him the next move and so on, and on, and on, and on. Then Dream went to an airport and took a flight back home. Dwight went to the practice court next day and started to work on moves that he was able to copy yesterday and he was working on this moves until they became automatic. Somebody needs a few weeks of hard practice, somebody needs a few month', Hasheem Thabeet needs a five-six years of hard practice 24/7 to make one of Dream's move as an automatic weapon.

That's how it works. Hakeem just showed him something and teached him how to use his body to copy that. Everything else is praaactice

2. Illegal Machine

OHHH.

So once someone spends a few hours with Hakeem Olajuwon, all prior and future coaching is null. As long as he practices the moves he was shown him over and over (which we can just assume he's doing), from that point forward Dream will take all credit for all of his improvements. I think I understand now. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's got nothing to do with him putting together, and practicing what his other coaches have been beating into him for the last several years. Couldn't be.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe Dream/Howard sessions were multiple days (3 days).

Howard says in the video, it's the little details that he's learning from Dream, not relearning how to play basketball.
    <iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mArHU1ewSog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#103 tinman, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Illegal Machine

I agree with you 100%. I never said the time he spent with Dream was useless. They wanted to take Dwight's existing game and polish it up. Give him some extra things to think about when he catches the ball on the block.

None of that means Patrick Ewing is a horrible coach.

I think we saw a natural progression of the kid maturing as a player and wanting focus on his game, instead of twitter and video games. He's finally taking ALL OF HIS COACHING seriously (not just 3 days of it), and we're seeing results on the floor.

5. supdudes

supdudes Member

All this arguing is usless... Top ____ Player is a statement of personal opinion...This is pointless. Move on, Geez

6. bloop

bloop Member

that's not true at all. statistically Yao's DWS per game is higher than Shaq's. his Defensive Rating is better than Shaq's. his DRB% is equal to Shaq's. Morey commented that Yao was worth 8 wins or so per year for Houston

Having Yao on the floor also helped his teammates grab defensive boards as well the boards Yao himself grabbed. Having Yao in the paint altered shots of everyone from 1 to 5 positions. NOT having Yao led to huge points allowed in the paint and all sorts of breakdowns in Houston when Yao sat out in 2010. stupid statement. sorry.

beyond that "liability" indicates that a player is bad for the team and the team actually does better when he's not in there... kind of like how Dwight was a liability helping his team lose whenever he matched up with Yao.

it's not at all true that Yao was a liability. and it's not true that he was a bad defender.

Yao was slow. It affected him on defense but also on offense when he was stripped or double teamed. it was a weakness to his all around game but didn't keep him from being a great offensive player and a good defender, especially in terms of benefiting his team.

but characterizing him as a liability is r****ded.

7. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

For everyone dissing bloop about Ewing's height, check this out:

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/players/03/07/first_person0314/

MUTOMBO: [Sipping a virgin strawberry daiquiri] I like your restaurant, Yao. It's made for 7-footers and guys like Patrick Ewing, who is really 6'9". [Ewing has always been listed as 7 feet.]

EWING: Hey, I may be 6'9", but I'm a bad 6'9". And what about you? When I first met you, you told me you were from Zaire.

8. highlander3128

This is pretty funny. Enjoy the reading very much. Thanks for the finding.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about that. If you have actually watched those players, you might recognize that many of them struggled against big, lumbering size. ESPECIALLY DREAM and ADMIRAL. Judging by your consistently silly statistical analysis from different decades, it makes one wonder how much you have watched, and If you were even alive at the time.

Ever watch Dream against Mark Eaton or Greg Ostertag?

Being 7-6, Yao could absolutely have the ability to make things extremely awkward for David Robinson and Dream. It has nothing to do with statistics, and everything to do with matchups (Which also makes your Boozer/Okur comparison quite silly)... For instance, Yao consistently did a great job guarding Tim Duncan, who actually compares better to Dream and David than Okur or Boozer...

#109 RudyTBag, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  10. Rox2010Champ

Rox2010Champ Member

why was yao never on any of the all-defensive teams? hmm weird. :rolleyes:

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I don't see how that proves anything, either way.

Why has Kobe been on the all defensive first team for the last few years?

12. Rox2010Champ

Rox2010Champ Member

lol you believe yao should be on the all defensive first team every year?

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yao retired recently...

14. Rox2010Champ

Rox2010Champ Member

Oh wow Yao retired recently! News of the day!