1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Rick Adelman says he never got calls from Rockets owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 30, 2012.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Correct

2. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Correct, but contenders are determined by whats on the paper.

3. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

excellent post

Every year there's a championship team. And in the history books there's no *for the Rockets in those years.

And health is a giant factor in winning a championship. It's part of the game.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Every owner wants to win. I rather have an owner that wants to win at any cost than an owner that cares about making a profit. The Mavs lost money lost year.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We had crap role players when we had our stars.

6. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

In your mind, there's a * for those Rockets.

In reality, they are a team that lost in the first round. Just like any team in the entire history of the nba that lost in the first round.

But on paper, they have these all stars..

In a seven game series, the best team always wins.

Let me show how this works:

you win the first round.
    you win the 2nd round.
    you win the conference finals.
    you win the nba finals.

you see, you can't be a contender if you fail part one.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Member

2007-2008
    Battier, Scola, Mutumbo, Brooks, Jackson, Landry, Hayes

2008-2009
    Battier, Scola, Mutumbo, Brooks, Landry, Hayes

+ Lowry, Artest and Barry

8. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

what? :confused:

being a perennial mediocre team with two stars....that was not excellent, that was embarrassing, under-achieving and wasting the talent.

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

They were never contenders with Tmac and Yao because Tmac and Yao never made it through the entire year.

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Excellent role players? this has to be one of the more comical claims I've read in this thread.

During the JVG/TMac/Yao era we had one superstar in T-Mac and arguably a second in Yao. Yao as a superstar is arguable, but I'll grant it to you for the sake of this claim.

There were two seasons during that era that the Rockets went 7 games. The first was in 2005 against the Mavericks. The box score for game 7 is here. We lost that game by 40 points and only scored 76 points. McGrady scored 27, Yao scored 33. No one else shot higher than 29% from the floor. It was one of the most devastating games to watch, and I still remember how utterly dependent the team was on TMact and Yao to get anything done. The Mavs, by comparison, had an actual team and set of role players that performed.

The second gaem was in the 2007 season against Utah. The box score for game 7 is here. This was, in many ways, worse than the Mavs game as we only lost by 4. Again, McGrady and Yao dominate the scoring for the Rockets, scoring 58 combined points. Shane scored 16 shooting 4-7 from 3 point range. Rafer Alston scored 11 on 2-7 shooting. No one else scored more than 5. Okur gave Hayes fits all game, as did Boozer to Yao. Rafer had no shot against Williams. Oh, and of course, we couldnt get a rebound when it mattered most.

If you want to see why this 'elite calibre' team didnt get past the first round those seasons, look no further than your 'excellent role players.' I honestly dont know how you could have been a fan those seasons, watched those games, and posted a statement like that on this board.....

11. durvasa

durvasa Member

I liked the overall team in 04/05.

And in Adelman's first couple years, the team had championship potential if the two main guys could have stayed healthy because there were good role players around them.

12. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

there are a large number of fans here on clutchfans who believe you don't earn respect, you are just entitled to it.

i'm from the old school. respect and championships are earned.

[​IMG]

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

You never asked me a question. Thats why I never answered whatever you are talking about. You simply stated something about Les Alexander having more to do with these moves than Morey which you could not possibly have first hand knowledge of to say with 100%accuracy.

14. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

correct. I believe the poster you are replying to does not know that 1997 team.
    And that 3 of them turned out to be hall of famers.

[​IMG]

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This has been lost in the discussion. Les said that he didn't like Adelman never gave him direct report even when he personally called the coach. Adelman was calling this BS.

One of them lied.

I totally disagree with leeb's take. It's not between Morey and Adelman. It's between Les and Adelman. Morey was just trying his best to spin the thing so that his boss wouldn't look bad.

The only thing that Adelman has complained about Morey was his trading away Battier for Thabeet. But that's understandable and I am sure Morey would understand Adelman's displeasure. That shouldn't be the determining factor for the parting.

16. LCII

LCII Member

Too bad Les got rid of him. Another season with Rick with the same core players + Dalembert would've definitely got us into the playoffs. With McHale, I'm not so confident.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Well I agreed on trading Battier away. Morey is known as push over now. All GMs know they can give Morey nothing for his players. He gave away Battier for Thabeet and then he made it worse by giving away a first round pick for Terrence Williams. So now our players have less worth because Moreys deal also fell through with the Lakers where David Stern stepped in. Morey needs to get his stuff together or get ready to back his bags soon. These are not good moves. Thabeet is a bust and Terrence Williams is a bust. So far his move this offseason was a bust. The luring Chris Bosh and trying to get carmelo ideas have been busts. Those things are adding regardless if you blame Les Alexander because if you think Les Alexander is gonna blame himself and take the hit for Morey? You are wrong. Les will fire Morey if you try to lay blame at the owners feet for those moves.

18. durvasa

durvasa Member

Weird conclusion you're jumping to, considering all the reports that the Rockets, if anything, have asked for too much in exchange for their players.

And if people think that the Rockets traded Battier away so they could acquire Hasheem Thabeet, they simply aren't paying attention.

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I agreed on trading away Battier but not for nothing like he got. He is a push over. Its the reason why they say he is asking for too much. He has never gotten too much in exchange. The value of our players has fallen on a winning team with good young prospects while he has been the GM. Those Terrence Williams, Battier, Rudy Gay for Battier trades have solidified him around the league as easy to get worked over for too much. Thats why there is this perception now that he is asking for too much.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

First person to call him up on his first year of the job? Jerry West to get Rudy Gay from this overmatched rookie GM. Here is Shane Battier for you rookie.

Morey "Gosh Mr. West. I love role players!!"