1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video: Range Rover runs over bikers.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, Sep 30, 2013.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Really? He was smashing out the window so he could legally "identify" the driver? And by the way it shows him still swinging the helmet at the driver after the window was smashed. I hate defense lawyers...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/07/us/bikers-attack-video/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

New York (CNN) -- The lawyer for a biker captured on video smashing his shiny helmet into an SUV window in New York concedes his client "overreacted" but claims he did not take part in beating the driver.

Reginald Chance, 37, is charged with the felonies of first-degree assault and gang assault in the beating of driver Alexian Lien on September 29.

Video from a rider's helmet camera showed bikers, apparently angered when Lien's SUV bumped a biker who slowed abruptly, pursuing the vehicle until they could surround it and beat on the windows. Other photos show Lien beaten bloody and lying on the pavement.

Defense lawyer Gregory Watts said it's "a given" that Chance hit the SUV's window with his helmet. But he said Chance then walked away.
    He claimed Chance was knocked off his motorcycle by Lien's SUV after bikers had surrounded the vehicle earlier.

"The law does permit someone who is a victim of an accident to at least attempt to get the identification of the motorist," Watts said. "My client obviously overreacted in that manner, but he is not this thug assaulting someone who's harmless, contrary to the public opinion that's being put out there."

Defenders of the bikers, including relatives of one biker who was critically injured, have criticized Lien for driving through the crowd of motorcycles.

Off-duty police officer among bikers who saw SUV driver beaten

Suspect identified in SUV battle Lien, with his wife and their 2-year-old daughter, was driving his Range Rover back from a wedding anniversary celebration.

The helmet video seized by police shows dozens of bikers swarming past him on Manhattan's West Side Highway. One motorcycle quickly slowed down in front of Lien, who bumped its rear tire, slightly injuring rider Christopher Cruz.

Lien pulled to a stop, and angry bikers surrounded his vehicle, hitting it and spiking its tires, police said.

Lien stepped on the gas, plowing into three more bikers, including Edwin Mieses, whose wife says he is paralyzed.

The video shows the Range Rover stopping again -- long enough for a biker to open the door -- and Lien then driving away until traffic forced him to the final stop.

Police say the subsequent beating included kicks to Lien's head and body as he lay on the highway.

Lien suffered two black eyes and cuts on his face and side, requiring stitches, a police detective's criminal complaint said.

His wife and daughter were unharmed.

Mieses' family, meanwhile, has said he was paralyzed and needs a ventilator to breathe in the hospital.

They claim Mieses was trying to help Lien.

Chance's lawyer said prosecutors should conduct a grand jury investigation of Lien for hitting Mieses and Chance with the SUV.

Chance was ordered held on $75,000 bond Sunday.

Assistant District Attorney Samantha Turino said Chance's license had been suspended and he should not have been driving. She said Chance's arrest record includes a mar1juana charge in 2013 and attempted criminal possession of a weapon in 2006.

Christopher Cruz, 28, whom police say is the biker who slowed in front of Lien, was charged with reckless driving and other misdemeanors. He was released on bond.

His lawyer, H. Benjamin Perez, said, "He never tried to assault him in any way. And he does not know any of the other motorcyclists who were involved in this beating."

Another biker, Robert Sims, is accused of stomping on Lien. He surrendered on Friday on charges of attempted assault and gang assault.

Police on Sunday released photos of two other men they want to find and question as part of the investigation.

3. smr6

smr6 Member

^^^

Another member of the group who was riding illegally with a suspended license.

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

5. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Good question..has the audio not been released?

Oh ok, then he definitely had reason to be scared when they surrounded him later on.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

geesh! How does a judge give someone community service when they're facing 25yrs and have been arrested 21 times before? Honestly..how many chances does someone get in that state? Isn't 21 arrests enough to call someone a career criminal?

10. smr6

smr6 Member

This is what happens when you have a state who's average cost for inmates is higher than Harvard tuition.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Just when I forget why I moved out of that state I remember things like this. Its even worse if you live in a town other than New York City. Every smallish town, or mid sized city west of New York City gets robbed of their tax money and screwed in the disbursement of it. Its no wonder why there's such a high poverty rate in some areas of the state.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

Very clear rebuttal. Doesn't change the fact that you immediately thought about death and killing when something you found disagreeable came up.

Seek help.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Totally ignored/missed this thread.

I sorta had a similar situation, but non violent. Kinda pleasent you could say. I was leaving a Rockets game and headed west on i10 towards 290.
    You know how you connect with 610 for a mile before 290 starts? Well a **** load of glowing motorcycles come swarming from 610. Looks like they just left the galleria area. Probably a group of 30 or 40 come by. And it's a total b**** trying to go from i10 and swing all the way across five lanes just to connect to 290.

A few of them actually slowed down to let me over surprisingly.

14. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

15. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

He

Thank you. Only idiots would think all bikers are bad. But the poor dad did run into a bunch of bikers who are animals. Wrong place at the wrong time.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

And stop in the middle of the highway. Not responsible for causing an accident at all...

18. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

LOL...I don't think you know me as well as you think you do.

But feel free to continue to project your perception of yourself onto me. (since we haven't met that is all you have)

19. esteban

esteban Member

Just another day under the anti-Christ regime. Black thugs running wild assaulting law abiding citizens at will and get away with it. I smell a race war brewing and then Barry can take all of our guns away and declares Marshall law.

1 person likes this.
  20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I see his plan to euthanize the dumb still hasn't come to fruition.