1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[video]Ralph Sampson's injury THE TRUTH

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 16, 2013.

?

Ralph Sampson

1. would have never played a week later in today's age, he would have gotten better care

34 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. 's career would have gone down because big men that size like that never recover (see Yao)

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the injury that started the doom of his career.
    They put him on a stretcher. he went to the hospital.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FrSECD1lr4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-olajuwon-ralph-sampson-1980s-houston-rockets

So apparently there's so many false analogies, I wanted to post this video..

1. He was not "injury" prone, he was INJURED and not taken care of properly.

2. This was in the 80s, if they had to cart Yao Ming off on a stretcher, you bet he'd never play for at least a year until he was medically ok.

3. This is NOTHING like Tracy McGrady. Did Tmac ever get seriously injured on the court? NO. We got Tmac knowing he had some chronic issues. I never saw Tmac get carted off in stretcher and experience paralysis.

Pre-Injury
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/encPq9eqIIs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vv4aeZUeJ3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 tinman, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

to that idiot who said Ralph Sampson was the most 'despised' Rocket.
    To hell with you.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

AMEN.

Thanks for bringing some more history to this board. I am one that remembers all of this as well.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks, I don't how people make these false assumptions about Ralph, but the video should show people the truth.

The guy was fighting for a rebound. Oh our coach Kevin McHale was there too.

Now all of them were together to welcome Dwight Howard!

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think that was the reason he had knee injuries that ended his career. It might have been longer with modern training - but still, at that height, having injuries....goes with the territory.

It's dumb to say he was detested - but I do remember some people hating on him and being happy when he was traded. But mostly it was Bill Fitch.

Sampson was never a strong inside player and that did irk some people. But yeah, I don't think he was ever ever detested, not after the Laker shot.

It's a sad story - Sampson and Yao.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ralph-sampsons-injury-riddled-career-makes-him-most-171800221.html

7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i enjoy reading your threads.

your like a timemachine of Rockets related content

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I would think he'd have still gone down for good, but probably closer to 7 or 8 years into his career

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

The difference with Yao was that he got bulked up to a point where there was incredible stress on his lower limbs, Yao had relatively small feet for someone his height, 18 from memory.

Sampson seemed to be a better size/weight, more conducive to a longer career, but even the smallest of injuries can set an athlete off an a terrible stretch, let alone the fall that Sampson suffered.

10. basketballholic

I thought these 2 lines were hilarious and worth posting again:

(referring to the twin towers lineup)

11. basketballholic

Keep this in mind when we are playing the Warriors this season and Curry, Thompson, and Barnes are trying to get off the 3-balls. This is a HUGE reason I believe that Howard and Asik could be very, very, very dynamic together on the defensive end. Simply because it allows all our perimeter guys to faceguard the 3-point line against the vast majority of spot-up shooters that really don't want to put the ball on the floor and dribble-drive anyways. In turn somebody has to step in and either go to the hole or shoot the long 2 and their defender is already over half court ready to catch the long outlet pass for the very easy layup.

(And yes, this post is off-topic, so feel free to assign me a demerit. I don't mind.)

#11 basketballholic, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  12. dragonz

dragonz Member

A timemachine that only goes to certain period of time, but still a timemachine nonetheless

13. pocketrocket81

I imagine the people who wiped liquids off the floor did it back then too. In the times I have watched the replay of Sampsons fall. It just appears to me he doesn't look like he extended himself enough laterally to fall like that without maybe some wetness on the floor.

Obviously we will never know and I am not accusing anyone of wrongdoing because it could have happened to a Celtic player too. I just know I really enjoyed watching him play and am sorry his career was cut short. Even with all the other problems that made the Rockets fall apart in the 80s. If Sampson could have stayed healthy with the Dream we would have still had a dynasty.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

A machine that goes back and forth in time and into forever

15. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Undercut by "best post moves ever " dirty-ass McFail.

16. SilentAssassin

This was on those "do you remember where you were when it happened" moments. I was eating at a restaraunt called "Thai Orchid" on Bellaire, and they were playing the game over the radio. The moment this all happened I looked at over at this other guy there and he had this "uh-oh" look on his face. Turns out his concern was more than warranted.

17. SilentAssassin

Oh, and Scottie Quittin is by far the most despised Rocket ever, no contest.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Damn basketball was fast paced.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Well, I guess technically he did get carted off in a stretcher (I remember that game against the Nuggets, I was in attendance and the whole crowd was silent).

But I agree with everything else you're saying though.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

We knew McGrady was injury prone BEFORE we got him.
    Ralph was PERFECTLY fine before this Boston injury.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2002/03/22/hornets_magic_ap/