1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Kevin McHale working out new Spread 4 candidate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 19, 2013.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

D'antoni is an idiot coach. Pulling Paul Gasol away from the basket was stupid. Once he let Gasol be Gasol, the Lakers played at a 56 win pace after the all-star break.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

BTW, OT and Charles Jones had no range, and Dream still had plenty of room to operate to win two championships. Did Nazr Muhommed and Horace Grant have 3 point range? Shaq and Duncan played fine with them. Twin towers works.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Worked so well the Rockets put Harden at PF in the OKC series.

Seriously, the Smith/Asik thing was a failure. The only reason it was used was because most everything else failed even more. If the Rockets had 2 Delfinos last season, Delfino would've started and Delfino 2 would've backed him up at PF.

That said, I do have a little more hope for Asik/Howard, mainly because that would be an awesome defensive lineup. Whereas Smith was a foul machine at PF and at center.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Exactly, you can't ever shoot consistently if you are going to short arm everything. That's something I don't understand, extending your shooting arm all of the way is just the basics of shooting. Why doesn't anybody explain this to him and have him change his shot? It's not working now, so there should be nothing stopping him from changing.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

First of all, did Charles Jones ever played WITH Hakeem? I always remember him being the sub, never as a PF. Can't comment on Nazr since I rarely watch him.

Thorpe played with Hakeem in an era of no illegal defenses. So his lack of range was less of an issue than it is today, where defenders could really sag off of non-shooters. Also, Hakeem operated further from the paint than most realize. The range on his dreamshake is much further than anything Dwight or Asik is capable of accomplishing. So was his ball handling ability. Can you really see Howard or Asik dribble past defenders like Hakeem did? If Dwight had Hakeem's moves, I'd be quite fine with Asik starting.

Horace Grant had a deadly 15 footer. If Asik had Grant's jumper, he'd be my choice to start right now.

6. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

7. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Gasol and Dwight (and Nash) were barely healthy at the same time. I doubt we can draw any conclusion from Dwight's time in LA.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

"Today I got the opportunity to be Dirk Nowitzki.... that was a lot of fun."

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/zT2_HC/iEazkwCwmKPM/embed/select/lzwgKHWeb3dt?params=zone%3Drockets&autoPlay=false" width="480" height="270" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

#48 Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Not just Hakeem. Duncan and Yao both have that turnaround jumper when they post up. In fact that was Yao's go to move. You can play a Chuck Hayes with him because when he get's doubled, he can turn away from the double team for a baseline turnaround jumper.

With Dwight it is completely different. Dwight's postup all end with him going toward the basket, or at least towards the paint, not away. That is why it is imperative for him to play with a stretch 4, because a clogged paint is much more detrimental to his game than those who can make a fadeaway.

When he plays together with Asik, I am expecting a lot more PnRs than straight post ups.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He is physically unable to...squeeze your shoulders together and attempt to shoot, without relaxing them, and you'll get his exact shooting form. That issue was being worked on in LA, but I don't know what the Rockets are doing about it.

11. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Are you saying that he can't extend his arm all the way straight because of his muscles?

12. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

The Smith/Asik thing wasn't a failure. The only reason it wasn't used in OKC series was because Smith was too slow to cover Ibaka, Delfino was a backup choice we had to do, but we need a starter 4, anyone know that!

13. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Did you guys watch the video from yesterday's practice? Dwight isn't just shooting 3 pointers in practice, he's also being directed to shoot 3's during scrimmages. And I don't think McHale is having to do that simply for the fun of it.

14. basketballholic

My God man. Why Dwight? Why isn't Asik the guy designated to shoot the long ball between the 2 of them? I am not understanding this at all. It is so logical to me for Asik to be the guy playing away from the basket offensively. Just looking at that vid of Dwight shooting made me wanna vomit. He'll never be able to shoot decently out there.

15. dragician

dragician Member

Casspi easily makes 25/30 during practice and during games he's struggling to make 40%.

so 3 out of 7 is not a green light and not good in pro B.

16. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Yeah, who cares about things like offensive rebounding, just as long as we can shoot more 3s.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Luc Longely and Dennis Rodman.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

where can I find practice video from yesterday ? thanks

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree, Some people make these large assumptions and I don't think they really know basketball. To really know basketbal you ned to know its history. You have people who want Greg Smith to start at 4, but odnt think it will work with Howard at 4, it's ridiculous. You dont always have to have a shooter at the 4, two great rebounders and defenders will be great for a young running team. Most of our offense comes from Parsons and Harden anyway, last year they accounted for about 40 ppg so I think this lineup can work with Howard at 4.

20. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Dwight is the boss.. he says some stupid **** and everybodys laughing...a mark of a true leader...