1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video]Kenyon Martin Jr Workout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree. He's 19 and there is a lot more to work with there than the Ball brothers. He's moving from IMG to G-League, which will help him to increase the speed of his game and learn what adjustments he needs to make to make it to the big show. I'm also HOPEFUL that he'll benefit from a new system that will spend more time and effort on developing young talent.

fckbandwagons and dje243 like this.
  2. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

That is why he is a 2nd round pick. Age is his big upside, he can fix that with NBA coaches. No way, he can get away in the NBA from holding to the ball and shooting the ball that slow.

amaru, saleem, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

He's a teenager, a hard worker it seems, with NBA bloodlines and is a gifted athlete.

Not perfect mechanics but others have had successful careers with poor mechanics as well.

He was the 52nd pick and has potential worth developing imo, let's see how he develops and plays against competition down the road.

amaru likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

really... you chose to compare him against two of the quickest releases and best handles in the game... neither of which he has... c'mon bro.. you can have a slow/low release if you got elite level something else for defenders to be worried about. i hope i'm wrong but undersized athletes don't do so well in the league. got to have something else elite to bring to the game if you already behind the eight ball. again, i hope i'm wrong and i'm truly optimistic now that Morey and MDT are gone. I'm hoping Stone and Silas try to produce players instead of using them and treating them only as "assets."

tinman likes this.
  5. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Man, that kid can jump out of the gym. The mid range turnaround shot in that last video was money, and he had great lift. The training video was just that, a training video. Clearly he doesn’t play like that in a real game

D-rock likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Brah, is this you? ^^^^^^^

You were lamenting the lift on KMJ's shot. Then I compared him to two of the best shooters in the league that barely jump when they shoot. KM has elite level athleticism, he is already ahead of his peers in that respect at 19. He is also 6'7 at 19, he is still growing physically and learning the game mentally. Not sure where you're getting this undersized stuff from.

Personally I'm encouraged he doesn't use his athleticism as a crutch for his shooting.

KMJ is basically a bigger Derrick Jones Jr right now.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Remember, they are developing him to be a role player so his ultimate focus and what is required of him is less than a lot of fans realize. He needs to be adequate at a lot of things but he only needs to be good at a few.

He is raw and truth be told wasn’t anything special in high school compared to other 19 year olds drafted. He isn’t someone that is ever going to be a huge scorer or someone that runs the offense. He is an opportunity scorer that relies on getting set up for open 3’s, being a trailer and rebounds and put backs and scoring in transition.

He would not have been drafted if he was Kenyon Washington and his dad drove a bus. Still the reality is his background is a huge asset and he is likely to have an easier time transitioning.

He doesn’t have great size, but he is big enough and he will fill out more. Don’t sleep on his hops. He is overall a plus athlete getting off the ground and has great hang time. His first step is pedestrian but his skills are such that he has the chance to be a valuable role player and possible starter in time.

MC31B, amaru, BHannes2BHonest and 3 others like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This phrase is key when we are talking about role players. Find your niche and be a star in your ROLE.

The big thing for me is where is his MIND? BB IQ? KJ McDaniels had no feel for the game. Didn't have the IQ so he couldn't do things on the court and stay on the court. If this KJ has a good feel for the game, that will allow him to get on the court and allow him to utilize his talents

Deckard, D-rock and Nook like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

He doesn’t have the focus issues or intelligence issues McDaniels had. It is clear Martin is very focused and works hard and that was one of the real selling points of him as a prospect. What I cannot answer is what his basketball IQ is. There just isn’t enough tape on him and he didn’t even play collegiately.

A lot of times very early in the draft and (oddly enough) at the end of the draft teams really look for guys they think have super high ceilings and players that perhaps are destined to be role players are passed over. Couple that with Martin having no college experience and being so young, teams don’t think it is worth it to spend draft capital and time on developing role players.

Personally I like the pick. I don’t like nepotism in general terms but the mentor ship of someone like his father makes a difference. He grew up playing basketball with elite kids, he has been coached and mentored by people like Ewing, Camby, Nowitski and Terry... that matters. Money will not be a problem with him or his training and he likely has a level of confidence that other similarly talented players have.

Deckard, D-rock and Deuce like this.
  10. RoxFanfrom93

RoxFanfrom93 Member

He looks fantastic if he is wide open shooting PJ corner threes otherwise he aint getting that shot off if guarded :(

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

12. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

His shot release isn't that bad. Some of y'all probably never played. People thought Kyle Lowry was undersized too. I look forward to seeing what he's capable of.

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He doesn’t have the Martin mark on his neck. All true Martin’s have lip tattoos.

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

another guy who's just athletic, we already have dozens of those in the G-League.

15. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

He obviously wasn’t drafted to be a incoming rotation player. He is a young prospect to develop in our system. You can’t deny the athletic talent he has to work with, can’t teach that part. So let’s give him time in the system to see what we really have.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Average vertical leap of Harden, PJ, EG, Cousins
    Vs
    average vertical leap of Wood, Wooten, Russ, Martin Jr
    :eek::eek:

D-rock likes this.
  17. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny a lot of these so called scouts - this kid been running with NBA players during the summer for last 2 years .... and played with S. Pippens son - so stop the he’s only drafted because of his dad.

18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

lol shot is slowed down in the video because he is focused on makes.

that being said i'm excited to see what kind of athlete this guy can be with NBA level trainers+diet.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Cat Mobley sighting. Forever a baller. I thought I saw Bobby Brown in there, too.

BHannes2BHonest, Caesar and D-rock like this.