1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video: James Harden trolls the Clippers with stepback and staredown of Wesley Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 28, 2018.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This move is going to completely change the narrative for Harden. it's on the regular news, it's on sports news, and in pop culture news.

hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Weird. I just don't get it, but if it brings the Rox some much-deserved attention, and Harden, then it's excellent.

Thanks, @justtxyank , for explaining the nasty disrespect angle. (I'm old school and don't cherish that part, but whatevs -- it is and will always be my team.)

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Wylo

Wylo Member

I've said it before, but there is no conspiracy against Harden. Some of the hate Harden receives is due to the nature of his game (looking for foul calls a little too much, not the most athletic - hence not the most exciting to watch, bad reputation on defense, etc.), and yes most of them are unwarranted and exaggerated. It doesn't mean there isn't a grain of truth in those criticisms of Harden... just that it's overblown.

As soon as Harden becomes 'less boring' to watch, NBA media and fans will love him. Why wouldn't they? NBA loves to artificially manufacture a superstar even when there is none; Harden is actually a legit superstar talent, and the only thing he was lacking was the excitement factor.

Little Bit likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Harden was trending on Twitter #1 last night.
    [​IMG]

5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Hope us Rockets fans are ready for the bandwagoners. This has woken up an entire nation. I've gotten 40 differnt text messages asking if I saw this - from people who are casuals now asking about Clutch fans.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

James Harden LICKS HIS LIPS! The #Savage never ends!!!!!!!!!

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

People are insane. At no point in any of that footage does it look like he pushes off.

Chanmarr, DonKnock and DirtyDizzil like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Jeezus, they have started to dissect the move. Now we are finding easter eggs in a 20 second clip! I didn't know Jim was licking his lips.. smh. The clip that keeps on giving!

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

ESPN's The Jump spent the first 11-12 minutes of a 30-minute show talking about just this single move.

10. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Even if you dissect the video of how it wasn't a push off or travel, they will refer to game 6 , skip bayless style, smh.

11. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

My favourite part of the whole play was

1) He spun the ball in his hands before taking the shot, like it was practice. Ultimate disrespect.

2) Johnson's "I ain't even mad" reaction was hilarious. He knew he got baked and there wasn't a thing he could do about it.

3) Screaming "*******" in the direction of the guy he just killed when he got back on defense.

#191 TracywtFacy, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Deuce, kevtse and DonKnock like this.
  12. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Check out Clint, boings up like a pogo stick LOL

DonKnock likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Already has. I've been in the car most of the day listening to NBA radio on XM. Multiple guys there have now said the MVP is a lock, Joel Myers (think that's his name) laughed at the idea that we even need to discuss anyone else, etc.

That was so savage. Harden giving people something to go all "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he got served" about instead of just hitting shots and drawing fouls is a game changer. Crossing people up is the sexy stuff necessary in today's social media age.

hakeem94, DreamShook and DonKnock like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It really is amazing the state of TV these days. This is where we are.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sirius XM from 9:45 to 10:15 was entirely about this move and how it ranks historically in terms of savagery. (They concluded it was #1 ALL TIME)

Deuce and DonKnock like this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

my goodness. What a time to be alive to have footage of that savagery from every angle -- that's the view from the grassy knoll, which we never would have gotten back in the day.

Can you imagine the footage and all the different angles and fan reactions we'd have of Hakeem befuddling Robinson, in today's era of social media.

17. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Beard was siiiick. Poor Wesley Johnson, this will be his career "spotlight" moment.

18. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Props to Wesley Johnson for securing Harden's MVP award....

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I love Charlie Palillo but he spent about 3 minutes talking about how it was an offensive foul and how the replays show it. Wow. I think he tries so hard to be “unbiased” that he goes the complete wrong direction.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  20. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I think we can’t undersell the context of this event. The reaction to it is commensurate to the context.

PENS hyped the **** out of this revenge game. Secret Tunnel. Locker Room Invasion. Payback.

Then Jimbo stopped time and space with the Death Blow.

Now it’s the only thing anyone in the world anywhere is talking about.

If this exact same play had happened against Ho Ingles on Monday...Nowhere near the same response.

Had to be on PENS’ air. Had to be in LA. Had to be up 28-7 early. He ended the game right there and gave PENS the theatre they crave.

Now the world applauds.