1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Video] HS Soph Hits Game Tying Shot While Supine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moomoo, Mar 20, 2005.

1. moomoo

moomoo Member

[video]

Amazing shot helps Hopkins win Class 4A State Title

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Sophomore Blake Hoffarber tied the game with a shot from flat on his back at the overtime buzzer, and he scored a team-high 25 points, to lead Hopkins to a 71-60 double-overtime victory over Eastview in the Class 4A boys' state title game on Saturday.

Hopkins (31-1) outscored Eastview 13-2 in the second overtime to win the game, but the top-ranked Royals were Hoffarber's miraculous shot away from squandering a 17-point lead.

The teams were tied at 49-49 going into overtime and still tied, 56-all, with 20.4 seconds remaining. Eastview's B.J. Viau drove and missed on a reverse layup, but Darren Kent soared in from the free-throw area to put back the rebound with 2.5 seconds left.

That set up one of the wildest shots in the history of this tournament and, perhaps, all of high school basketball. Andrew Henke threw the inbounds pass the length of the court from his own baseline and the ball bounced around and into the hands of Hoffarber, who fell down in the scrum.

Hoffarber then shot the ball from flat on his back, just inside the 3-point line, to tie the game as the buzzer sounded.

Hoffarber also had 11 rebounds for the Royals, who won the state title in 2002. Hopkins, which only lost to Armstrong this year, was in its 16th tournament.

Kent had 20 points and 12 rebounds for second-ranked Eastview (27-5), which lost to Hopkins 53-51 in a non-conference game on Jan. 29 when Hoffarber hit a 3-pointer with 2.8 seconds left.

Trailing 43-34 after three quarters, the Lightning scored the first seven points of the fourth to get within 43-41. After Hopkins extended to a 45-41 lead, Alex White hit a 3-pointer and Zach Johnson made a jumper to give Eastview its first lead since early in the first quarter, 46-45 at the 4:15 mark.

The Royals tied the score at 46-46 when Henke made 1-of-2 free throws. White then hit another 3-pointer from the top of the key to give the Lightning a 49-46 lead with 3:36 left. Johnson had a chance to extend the lead with 42 seconds left, but he missed the front end of a one-and-one.

Hopkins called timeout and set up a play for Hoffarber to take, and make, a deep 3-pointer that tied the game at 49-49 with 23 seconds left. Both teams missed on chances to win it and the game went to overtime.

Hoffarber scored 16 points in the first half, and made all four of his 3-point attempts, to lead Hopkins to a 37-22 halftime advantage. Johnson was held scoreless in the first half, missing all five of his field goal attempts.

2. Fatty FatBastard

moomoo, you are no moocow.

moo

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I just fall in a faint.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I just finished uploading the video fromt he local newscast of this shot and was getting ready to post.

For those interested, you can see the same shot here along with a brief interview of the player. It is around a 4.5 MB divx encoded file:

www.rekieta.com/BBall.mpg

5. Man

Man Contributing Member

thanks

pretty amazing

I want to watch the whole game...:p

#5 Man, Mar 20, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

it's not as good as that one little boy getting hit in the head from a long distance heave.

I love the way the ball hits that boy and he goes nearly sideways.

I love the reaction of the people in the stands.

I just saw that video again. I still have it saved.

:D :p :D :D :eek: :D

7. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

It just aired as the #1 play of the day on EPSN.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What's that video?

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

yeah that one is just sick, i also have it on my pc. but that longshot from a couple of weeks back is still the most amazing thing in the world. But this one is also very good:D

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so the guy had already beat them with a 3 with 2.8 left earlier in the year, and in this game hit a long 3 to tie it in regulation and then hits a shot flat on his back at the buzzer to send it to double OT? i'd have to friggin' kill that guy.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Unbelievable shot...