1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Switch is definitely worth it if there are games you're interested in. It rejuvenated my love of console games because of how easy it is to pick up and play. Fast load times, easily portable, super convenient.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I can confirm Rimworld is super addicting. I haven't played it in a while (early access maybe?), but it is really good. I played a few games that tried to copy that basic formula, but didn't quite connect the same for me at least.

Anyway, back to CP2077, I started looking at mods. Found some mod that applied an AMD CPU fix, and that nearly doubled my frame rate (~30 to ~60 FPS) in a troubled area for me. From ~25% CPU utilization to 75%-80%. So yeah, that game still isn't super optimized. :(

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

With the release of the new 7900-series GPUs from AMD, from what I can remember, it's still showing no love for AMD in benchmarks I've seen. lol.

RC Cola likes this.
  4. RC Cola

CP 2077 heavily uses RT, which also causes it to heavily rely on image reconstruction to get decent framerates, so not too surprising that AMD GPUs struggle a bit with that. They're still behind Nvidia in those areas, though I think they're catching up. I think benchmarks with RT turned off show the 7900 doing fairly well (especially relative to price). But I'm not sure why you'd spend ~$1K on a GPU and play games with RT disabled.

So that's more on AMD than the CDPR I think. I haven't really looked into what this fanmade patch for AMD CPUs does (and how Intel CPUs do in comparison), but if it just tells the game to use more threads (and/or use them more wisely), then that's probably 100% on CDPR for not taking advantage of that properly. Can't really blame AMD for that.

I'd say they should have spent most of their time optimizing for AMD CPUs and GPUs given console sales, but given how poorly the game did on those platforms (albeit better after patches), guess that was another thing mismanaged.

Oh well, I'm just glad I got my ~60 FPS inside nightclubs now. :)

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, most early results for the 7900 XTX are showing they're trading blows fairly well with the RTX 4080 in rasterization performance, and while they've made big improvements in RT, they're still lagging pretty far behind nVidia in that regard. I'm looking at building a new PC in the next 2-3 months once drivers and prices hopefully start settling down, and hoping nVidia drops the price on the 4080, which is overpriced. Otherwise I'm going to have a tough time deciding which of those 2 cards to get.

I still curse crypto/bitcoin/ethereum, and morons who didn't mind spending 4-figures on cards that aren't even top-of-the-line for us still having to pay over $700 for these cards. A part of me just wants to say screw AMD/nVidia and wait until my current PC dies to buy a new one. :D

RC Cola likes this.
  7. RC Cola

Yeah, pricing is all out of whack with GPUs still, even with the market kinda crashing relative to what it was a few years ago. Nvidia in particular seems eager to keep these high prices going.

I'm glad AMD is hitting back with FSR 2 and improved RT performance, and hopefully their chiplet stuff works out well (guess that will take a few generations to fully realize). But Nvidia GPUs still seem quite a bit better overall, especially since most games just simply don't play well with AMD GPUs even with improved RT. Portal RTX for example:

That was specifically built with Nvidia GPUs in mind (using their Remix tool I believe), so maybe not a big surprise, but these aren't insignificant unfortunately. At least AMD GPUs seem to run the game, unlike Intel Arc.

I'm super excited by the technologies being utilized by these new GPUs, but not so excited by the pricing from AMD and especially Nvidia. :(

-------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, coming up on 20 hours of CyberPunk. There are some (IMO dumb) gameplay design things I don't like (largely around loot), but I've mostly ignored the main quests and stuck to side quests....and the game is still fairly fun/fresh. The core gameplay loop can be a bit repetitive (i.e., go to location, sneak/kill stuff, go to another location, sneak/kill stuff, OK now leave), but I do like that some/most quests offer multiple ways of accomplishing them, and that includes the combat system in general (sneak/guns ablazing + different routes). It kinda feels a bit Deus Ex mixed with GTA I guess (with some Witcher 3 of course). Also not super in love with some content stuff, but it can mostly be ignored as long as you're enjoying the the core game stuff. Also kinda cool that the Keanu Reeves character pops up in lots of side quests. Might be a bad thing overall (not sure what I think about his character/performance yet), but I figured it would be main quests only.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. Poloshirtbandit

It's one of my favorite games.

Andre0087 likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I saw Ancestors Legacy on Steam for around $5-$6 the other day and said "what the hell, why not?" and bought it. I'm not sure how replayable it is since it looks like it's just a bunch of missions, but it seemed interesting and for $5-$6, like I said, why not? I haven't played it yet - just posting here if anybody wants to waste some money. :D

10. Poloshirtbandit

Someone gave me Gran Turismo 7 as a gift last month. I bought a G29 wheel a couple weeks ago and finally got it set up. Coming from a controller it's been a lot of fun.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This game is really good.

12. conquistador#11

Where is this game? I can't find it on Steam or anywhere. It sounds like a video game version of the movie you recommended, Anthropoid.

I'm also realizing 100% of my computer games are first person shooters including Ghostbusters. I need to mix it up a bit.

13. RC Cola

GOG has it I think:
    https://www.gog.com/index.php/en/game/saboteur
    On sale too.

EA Store has it too, but I'd recommend GOG in general.

Speaking of games of that era, I decided to fiddle around with PS3 emulation on PC (via RPCS3). Only tried Folklore (one of my favorite PS3 games), but it seemed to work fairly well (much better resolution, higher frame rate, fast loading, etc). Of course, that game has the forced motion controls, and my current PC gamepad won't handle that, but I'll figure something out with that (think you can just use a PS4/PS5 controller?).

I'm also playing Tales of Arise casually. Pretty good.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

Thanks. Purchased it along with some MOH games that can't be found on steam.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just ordered a Super Console X3

Basically a preloaded emulator for the older consoles.

Supposedly has around 80 consoles and an out of the box library of 110k games.

I am excited to fire up some old SNES and Sega classics.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

wow that's pretty cool

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Got a ps5 for Christmas and been just playing bloodborne lol

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

Saw a list of the consoles that it included, outstanding. Electronic Gaming Monthly had 12 year old me dreaming of owning a Neo Geo or The Atari Jaguar. $300 for a console just seemed crazy at the time.

Invisible Fan and larsv8 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Replaying BOTW but on CEMU on PC so in 4k and 60 fps and man I wished I played it this way the first time.

So much better.

Also, I forgot just how interactive the world was. Literally every item in the game has a mass and density. No open world game has matched it yet in the sense of.how interactive the environment is.

20. PhiSlammaJamma