1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Can anyone recommend some games to me? I have a PS4 and really enjoy realistic games like GTA/COD. Im not really into the sci-fi stuff. Anything new out there? Browsing through the PS Store I am overwhelmed and my video game knowledge is very limited. Thanks in advance!

2. MystikArkitect

Elden Ring. More of an RPG style ****ed up Lord of the Rings but it's just an amazing, harrowing, depressing, thrilling experience.

Sadat X and Xerobull like this.
  3. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Thanks, ill check it out!

4. marky :)

marky :) Member

Red Dead Redemption 2

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

After Spiritfarer, I went into my backlog to try out a bunch of different games: Eastward, Crystal Project, Symphony of War, Star Control Origins, My Time At Portia, The Planet Crafter, Dyson Sphere Program, Darkwood, and Outer Wilds.

I'm done with Darkwood and Outer Wilds after barely playing them. Both games seem excellent, but I'm not really in the mood for either. I've forced myself to play the latter 3 times (as it is GOTY/GOTG/GOTD/"BEST GAME EVAH!" for so many), and I just cannot get myself to really enjoy it. I *really* like certain aspects of it, but certain other aspects just kill the fun for me. I'm sure if I continue to force myself to play it, I'll find some enjoyment out of it, but I just have no interest in doing so. I think there's a XSX/PS5 patch for this that just came out, so if people want to give it a go, have fun. I do recommend giving it a shot if you can, as it is quite novel in design.

The other games, I'm undecided on. Some of them are way too incomplete (I guess that's why they call it Early Access), so I probably won't bother playing them much more (The Planet Crafter & Dyson Sphere Program come to mind). Symphony of War and Crystal Project scratch that old-school (S)RPG itch that few other games manage to do, though they're definitely lower budget games. I think I'll play these more when I'm in the mood for those things. Pretty undecided on Eastward, Star Control, and My Time at Portia at this point.

I will probably start some new playthroughs of Avorion and/or Astrox Imperium (basically Eve Offline) as well. I enjoyed those games quite a bit when they were in heavy development, and I think they've been polished quite a bit since then? Hopefully?

Yung-T likes this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The game completely grabbed me from the first minute on with its unique atmosphere, but man are the spaceship controls horrible.
    Totally destroyed the game for me and I abandoned it after struggling navigating the first planets in outer space.

RC Cola likes this.
  7. RC Cola

Yeah, the controls are probably the primary reason why I'm not bothering to play anymore. Needing to get from Point A to Point B (possibly repeatedly over a single play session) is such a vital part of the game, and given how much of a chore it is, it is not something I find myself enjoying. If not for that, I'd *probably* continue playing the game, even if a few other flaws annoyed me. I quickly figured out the "tips" that defenders of the game think magically fix the controls, but I'm still not interested.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

9. RC Cola

Well it probably is a waste of time, so they're not wrong there.

Speaking of a waste of time, I played more of Elden Ring, and I think I'm probably done with it. That's right, I'm hating on Elden Ring and Outer Wilds.

I did finally play that Vampire Survivors game, which seemed to get a lot of buzz. I can see why people really like it. It is pretty dumb fun, but for $3, I enjoy it.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Got an alert that I'm up to buy a Steam Deck. Are they worth the cost?

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What do you have against Elden Ring? I was going to wait until I build a new PC maybe later this year or next year to get it. I thought it got pretty good reviews.

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Ghost of Tsushima

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

3090 from 2020 is only 800 on eBay…

14. RC Cola

I'm just tired of the "GIT GUD" Souls mechanics, which often times just means you need to keep doing it until you get lucky enough, and too bad if you wasted an hour of your day. I've played these games since Demon Souls, so I'm intimately familiar with the mechanics, and it just kinda bores me at this point. Yeah, it can be fun to have that "danger" element behind every corner, every boss move, every platforming section, etc., but it isn't really all that fun for me anymore. My brain just goes, "Oh, I have to do this....again."

I did lie though. I ended up returning to the game yesterday, finished the next dungeon/boss...then I got frustrated trying to figure out how some random game mechanic worked. I ended up going online to figure it out, because that's another thing about these games. If you want to know about lore or how things work in-game, good luck figuring it out in-game.

Then after all that, I remembered I'm playing on a PC, and I don't play any of these games online. So thanks to mods, I'm actually enjoying the hell out of Elden Ring now. :)

Yung-T likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Dying Light is fun on the Nintando.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think I'm going to wait and build a 4070 or 4080-based one once I see how all the new CPUs, motherboard, chipsets, and video cards play with each other. The 4080's are going to be starting at $899 for the 12GB ones (well, the reference cards, I guess). I'll wait to see some of the early results on performance, too. If there's another shortage, then oh well, I'll keep chugging along. lol. There're only 2 games I think I'd really want to upgrade for right now, and that's Elden Ring and probably Baldur's Gate which has been in the usual beta test/early acces for about 2 years now.

Andre0087 likes this.
  17. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Don't play that often unless I really enjoyed the game. Katana Zero has a new free DLC coming out soon with a preview from the developer. The original was one of the best indie games I've ever played, like a Metroidvania Hotline Miami.

RC Cola likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am replaying The Saboteur - and found out on the PC you can up the resolution by changing the INI file - woah is it beautiful for a 2009 game.

Still one of my all time favorites......

And, uh....cool it on the Star Citizen bit - it is coming........along........slowly.

:)

DD

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member