1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] E3 2012

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Jun 1, 2012.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

They demoed the game on PC for one (and I doubt Ubisoft is pulling something like a BF3...this seems like a console game). I guess I wouldn't completely rule out a scaled down version of the game (although I'm not sure if that might affect some of the gameplay concepts). I'd probably put it on the low-end for next-gen (maybe some sort of transitional title), but certainly something that seems aimed beyond current-gen consoles. Which makes sense given how they promoted it, plus some of the things shown in the demo...very "tech demoey."

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

To be fair Battlefield 3 is aimed at the next generation consoles due to the Frostbite3 engine. It still runs without issue on 360/PS3, and I don't think this game looks any better than BF3.

3. RC Cola

My point with BF3 is that it could be pushed as a PC game (PC franchise, promote Origin, FPS MP game, etc.), so they could justify leading on the PC with that game (also wanted to demo Frostbite 3, yes). Thus, it is "nextgen-ish." Scale it down for PS3/360 (for more sales), but it can be a PC game. 360/PS3 versions do look good, but they took some pretty big hits IIRC.

I don't think Ubisoft would be doing the same with Watch Dogs (i.e., leading with PC, but then releasing on 360/PS3). They don't really have the same motivations EA had with BF3. Watch Dogs isn't a PC game like BF3 was a PC game.

I'd have to check out BF3 (PC) again, but I'd probably agree that these two are more or less on the same level. I think I like some of the things in Watch Dog a little more though (little more dynamic, open, etc.).

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Agree to disagree (I think BF3 looks better actually). There are a lot of games that look better when you're actually playing it, and maybe this is the case as well. You may very well be right that it's a next gen game, or they kind of upscale it to be that. I'm just not blown away like I was expecting to be after reading all of the responses on it. The gameplay looks very cool, albeit a lot like GTA. I'm also wondering just how much of that was scripted (for example the car accident when they pulled up, and the guy subsequently freaking out about his girl being dead in the car)...but I guess we'll see in the near future one way or another.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Speaking of scripted and game play. How much of that game play Last of Us was "game play" where you actually interact.....or tell the character what to do versus pressing one button and it all being an animation?

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I watched that too, the game looked very cool (I don't have a PS3, so I never really played Uncharted -- a lot of PS3 players seem pissed off at how similar it is). With that said; it looked to me like there was a lot of push-a-button-then-the-game-takes-over-for-thirty-seconds.

7. ashiin

ashiin Member

People might want to check out Sleeping Dogs too, I was super pumped about this since it was introduced as True Crime: Hong Kong since I'm from Hong Kong, but man everything looks sweet on it right now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mCOlzqoG70s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I saw the trailers for this a little while back; the game looks sick. Too many Dogs running around here; Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, Naughty Dog...shrimp scampi...shrimp burger...shrimp and potatoes.../bubbagump.

9. Uprising

That's how it seemed to me. One of those, press triangle to interact.

I have a PS3. Don't play it often, played Killzone 3 on it a week or so ago with a buddy. Never played Uncharted.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Surprised people are getting excited about Watch Dogs. Good tech demo and all, but every cycle we get that supposed showcase of 'next gen' graphics that never really turns out to be anything (or so delayed that it doesn't matter).

Last of Us looked cool. Hopefully most of that was gameplay.

Beyond was...eh. Kinda funny to see Cage hype up Ellen Page and then we get five minutes of her video game character staring blankly at the camera.

The smash bros rip off looked terrible. God that commentary was painful.

Kinda wish I had PS+ right now for the free games, lol.

AC3 ship thing looked awesome.

I wonder if Sony knows they actually released something called the Vita this year.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Vita was dead before it shipped imo. I feel like when it comes to portable gaming iPhone is probably the one to beat right now. Obviously people are buying 3DS; but not until Nintendo decided to take a hit on every one sold. Just my opinion I guess; I had a DS a very long time ago but I just don't play portable stuff often. Fruit Ninja on my Galaxy Nexus ftw.

12. RC Cola

It is kind of a moot point whether BF3 or Watch Dogs looks better (assuming we're talking about BF3 on PC). Either way, basically talking about DX11 games running on high-end PC hardware. My memory is fuzzy on BF3 (and I think I might just be remembering some bad screenshots or something), but I know it does look really good. I need to play it at some point (should be able to play @ ultra), and see how it looks at its best.

Nevertheless, stuff like this seems really impressive to me:
    (animated GIF warning):
    [​IMG]
    Weather effects, cloth physics (actually looks like a PhysX demo), light reflections from the puddles (actually lighting in general), things like the details on the umbrellas, etc. All look pretty advanced to me.

I certainly will remain somewhat cautious of the game, for reasons you mentioned (if this is a next-gen game, development will be brutal). It definitely seems more interesting than previous "tech demos" though. For example, something like Killing Day was demoed for the PS3, and while it looked good (or I guess it looked good...kind of looks bad in hindsight), the game concept itself didn't seem that interesting (also wasn't demonstrated as playable, although wouldn't doubt if it was). In this case, I'm probably as excited for the conceptual gameplay shown by the demo as the visuals (maybe more so).

Of course, the demo did appear heavily scripted (although almost like they tried to make it look like it wasn't). I don't know if even Ubisoft knows how the final game will play (i.e., which parts will be scripted and which parts won't). That can certainly impact the excitement for the game.

Even though I'm pretty excited for Beyond, I'll admit that I laughed at that sequence.

The "I guess this is all Sony/Quantic Dream could afford" jokes were good.

As for The Last of Us, the combat parts were likely QTEs or something similar. More or less how Uncharted handles it. You'd probably walk up to a enemy, initiate a sequence, and those combat events would unfold (via a QTE). Everything else seemed like gameplay (i.e., shooting, taking hostage, moving/sneaking around, etc.). Well...except maybe the end part (not sure how Ellie will actually work in gameplay, this is a little different from Uncharted). They might have played that up for E3 (although some of it was gameplay, just not sure if it would be tied together like that in the final game).

13. Uprising

Nintendo's presentation is pretty damn underwhelming.

14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

So none of you guys have played the Uncharted series? Last of Us does look a lot like it, and I don't see that as a problem. It's a pretty amazing series. There are some "scripted" parts in that series, but it all makes sense. It's not like you're just pushing a button every once in a while.

15. RocketsFanSam

RocketsFanSam Contributing Member

16. RC Cola

Yeah, kind of surprised how many people haven't played Uncharted (or even seen it I guess?). It is heavily scripted, although usually well-done. The Last of Us looks similar.

Missed most of Nintendo's conference. Debating whether I should try to continue watching the rest.

17. Uprising

It's all about the Wii u.....that stupid controller with a screen.

And those ant things (pix something) 3.

18. RC Cola

Pikmin 3. Yeah, I saw the news (mostly just viewing updates, but not watching the conference, so taking other people's words for it). Good to see that back.

Some of the games look pretty interesting (and still more to go). Though some impressions act like it is the worst ever...but I've noticed people say that about every E3 conference.

19. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Lol. Indeed sir.

20. Uprising

nice tech by Nintendo....but I could never see myself playing something like the wii u. Just seems like a waste of money.

Doing the same stuff on the little screen that tablets already do....

The titles for these things just seem so meh.