1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Game] Rocket League

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AtheistPreacher, Jul 17, 2015.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am Wingman on there, it is good fun.

DD

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

anybody playing that wants to help give some pointers or advice to a fellow clutchfan? let me know

3. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

What do you want to know?

I'm almost a Rocketeer (highest tier) in the game

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Always chase the ball and hit it no matter what angle you are coming in from.
    Always go for difficult and full field aerials. Take any and all available boosts even if you have 99 boost.
    Always spam 'What a Save!' when a goal is scored either in your favor or not.
    Ignore your teammates! They are only in your way!

In all seriousness about 60% of the game is positioning and 40% is actually being able to execute. And 500% of it is finding RL friends to play with instead of solo queuing.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Spamming "What a Save!" is my favorite. Right up there with "Calculated"

6. RedRedemption

Wow!
    Savage!
    Wow!
    What a Save!
    Calculated.
    OMG!

7. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Anyone up for a game?
    On Ps4
    Username is same

8. Indaface

Indaface Member

I play doubles and standard alone usually and find myself going on runs everytime I play.

I'll get on one day and win 6 in a row, then a few days later i'll get on and lose 6 in a row.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You've got to just play a lot at first. Get a feel.

10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

In the words of AI...we talkin' bout practice.

11. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i play PC...i'm in the clutchfans group on steam...see a few people playing on there...rocket league can play cross platform i believe...but not sure how that works...if you can play online together or if its just vs AI in that case or what

yeah...guess i need to practice but damn is it frustrating feeling like i'm not making any progress

12. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

What frustrates you?

I remember when i first started trying aerials, all my friends could do them but I always missed but over time you get more accurate.
    Also anticipation is key in this game. Don't just blindly follow the ball or rush an attacker, try to understand what they are trying to do and make your move at the right time. Sometimes staying back and letting them hit it is the best move forward.

Also make use of the training drills, they are actually really well designed to teach you how to defend, attack or aerial.

As for crossplay, if you ever see a player with "Psynet" as their avatar, its a player on a different platform, probably ps4

13. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

oh just that it seems i'm not picking it up and doing well right away haha. my patience is low/thin. i wan't results immediately haha

14. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

The way i see it, this game is the closest to a legit sport you can get in a video game, and like a sport it takes time to get your skills up

15. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i mean i knew going in the game is pretty hardcore...i mean its an esport...so i know theres people out there who devote a ton of time...pro players and such..

i'm not looking for any of that...but at the same time...playing the computer over and over may get old (assuming i eventually get good enough to beat the AI)

i'm more casual...i don't have the time like i did as a kid obviously..work and other life things get in the way. yet i still want results immediately haha

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have fun playing it even when I'm not doing well. I suggest drinking while playing, it changes your whole perspective. Also, perhaps try playing in split screen with someone else.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I play almost exclusively while drinking, 2-2 online, split-screen. It's a blast. Lots of YELLING.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I play 1v1 and 3v3 competitive - when I have the usual guys I play with we win a lot - not because of me, but this one guy Wheatkings is amazing....when I play pickup competitive it is a mixed bag.

DD

19. RedRedemption

Pickup 2v2 is the tipping point where you can play with complete randoms and still do well if you adapt to your teammates playstyle.
    3v3 is a shitshow with randoms.

Until this game has a team-only voice chat that isn't complete garbage in quality, randoms will be almost impossible to play with.

20. Indaface

Indaface Member

3v3 is a complete shitshow with randoms, if you can get a couple of decent guys who can at least position themselves right and aren't running around like chickens with their heads cut off you usually can have good success.

Unfortunately that is a rare occurence