1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Carl Landry and Von Wafer 08-09 Dunks mixes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bob Monkeyson, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Bob Monkeyson

Bob Monkeyson Member

Took me a while, but here are some dunks mixes from Landry and Wafer from this past season. I wish the quality was better, but a larger file would have taken hours to upload, so I'll try to put up a better quality link to download the files maybe if enough people want them. Hopefully I'll be able to do an Ariza or maybe even a James White version next year. Hope you enjoy, you can drop a comment too if you like it...

Landry 08-09 dunks

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/svG7VDEWuhA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/svG7VDEWuhA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wafer 08-09 Dunks

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6TXtcxIo78&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6TXtcxIo78&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you want to see some more dunks vids from landry and t-mac from 07-08, plus some more vids you can visit this:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bobmonkeyson

1 person likes this.
  2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Nice video.

Didn't see Budinger or "Flight White" do any of these kind of stuff yesterday though they where playing against rookies, scrubs and d-leaguers.. People don't realize the enery Wafer brings to this team and its sad.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I appreciate the compilations, and I'm sure everyone else does too...but I definitely felt the music could have been better. Might have been a good idea to use Bill and Clyde/Bull's commentary instead.

Anyway, I know the effort that goes into making videos, so again, I appreciate the work you put in.

#3 ClutchCityReturns, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I hope we get to see Von do more of that next season

5. BasketballReasons

BTW, TO all People who say Von has an attitude, i'd like you guys to name me one superstar (I know Wafer isn't one) who doesn't have one? Or who didn't enter the league with one. Kobe, Lebron, KG, etc etc always had an attitude.

6. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

so why are you comparing him to superstars then? Kobe, Lebron KG - you named all the borderline asshat superstars in the league who MANY people have problems with, especially KG and Kobe. Lebron - well he's geting there. I wouldn't want our role players with their attitudes.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would want ALL players with those attitudes, no just stars. I don;t want a role player ho is not confident/cocky and passionate

8. Garner

Garner Member

Gah, von's reverse on portland....so sick.

9. Garner

Garner Member

"BTW, TO all People who say Von has an attitude, i'd like you guys to name me one superstar (I know Wafer isn't one) who doesn't have one? Or who didn't enter the league with one. Kobe, Lebron, KG, etc etc always had an attitude."

Because Von isn't nearly as good as any of them, so he doesn't get the right to have superstar attitude. He can't get away with it.

10. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

How is this only 4 starred? This guy worked hard for this. Good videos.

11. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Well...

...as long as we're talking about Carl Landry...

I like him. A lot. We haven't had good, young talent on this team in so long, sometimes it may seem like guys like Aaron Brooks and Von Wafer and Landry are a bit over-appreciated.

But I do like what Carl Landry can do.

What concerns me right now is what Landry needs to do, in my opinion.

Landry's earned a place in the Rockets' rotation. He has very good physical talent, and he's made a good transition from his post play in college at Purdue to his hybrid small forward/power forward role here in the NBA.

And, for me, that's going to be the sticking point in his further development.
    What's Landry's position? If he can improve at this level, what position does he have the best chance to accomplish that improvement?

At about 6'8'', Landry is undersized for the four-spot, even if Yao Ming were healthy. And from what I've seen of his offensive game, Landry doesn't have a particularly strong low-post game. he's not a guy you give the ball to on the block and ask to get you, or anybody else, a decent shot.

But what I have seen says to me that Landry should focus more on becoming a three-man, than a back-up four. He can put the ball on the floor with one dribble and get to the basket from about 17 feet out fairly regularly.
    He has nice range on his jumpshot, seemingly out to about that same 17-foot range. He's active and athletic. Depending on the matchup, he usually has a speed and quickness advantage over his opponent.

The problem usually is, that at the NBA level, the small forward spot is generally considered to be more similar to the shooting guard spot than the power forward position. Meaning that, ideally, you'd like a guy playing the 3 to be able to handle the ball a bit, have shooting range that possibly extends to the three-point line, and play defense on the perimeter.

None of those things seem to fit what Landry does well now. Old cliche—Landry's a power forward in a small forward's body. But I do believe that those are elements of his game that he can add, even though he's reached his "ceiling" of development, in my opinion.

With Rick Adelman's offense, I could see Landry become a finishing wing more than I can see him become a low post player. And we do need guys on the wings that can finish. Defense has never been a strong point for Landry...low post or otherwise. But I'd like him to expand what he can do.

I think that's Landry's future, not just with the Rockets, but in the NBA.

Actually, Landry is a lot like Marvin Williams to me...so we don't really need Williams if we could groom Landry for more of a small forward role...

12. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Seconded. There's something so much more satisfying hearing Bill exclaiming after a nasty dunk.

13. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

agreed..music could improve..but rep points deserved nonetheless

its vids like this that ease the pain of the offseason :D

14. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

haha, Von's a superstar? I just vomited in my mouth a little.

15. alethios

alethios Member

Awesome work on the videos. They were fun to watch. I agree, I was a little surprised by the music selection but that doesn't detract from the work you put in, so good job!

And the best part of these videos is they made me want to see more of that this season. Both guys are very athletic and deserve some PT. But I'm glad we don't have to rely on Wafer to do a majority of the SG position because the dude needs to keep his head. Being cocky is ok as long as you're not stupid.

16. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I hope Landry is working on his ball handling skills this offseason. If he could have better control of the ball for 3 or so dribbles, he would be sick.

17. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

one of the few reasons i want both of them on the team next year...

18. BasketballReasons

Damn do you people just don't read? I said "(Von isn't one)" meaning Von isn't a superstar. However, just like when Kobe, etc entered the league, they all had attitudes, like Von. They all where and still are fighters and competitors.
    Don't make me say things I didn't say. Who the f¨¨¨ would be dumb enough to think von is a superstar.

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

haha, my bad, didnt see that part.

But you cant really compare Von to Kobe... In Von's 4th season, he avg just under 10 ppg. Kobe's 4th avg 22.5 ppg.

20. jasonmicron

jasonmicron Member

Simply great post man.