1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Wembanyama

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Buck Turgidson, Oct 31, 2020.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would be absolutely amped if he did.

I have been hoping someone gets high on a modern Carmelo Anthony in Banchero. I would rather get someone like Chet and or Smith who can play 2nd fiddle to Jalen.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Victor is noticeably longer and slightly wider than Chet is.

When they played each other is was obvious, and appeared to be at least 3 inches in height, the same in width and he had a longer wingspan as well.

Chet has a great wing span and length, but Victor has freakishly long limbs.

On the surface that is an advantage for Victor, and his length did bother Chet early in the game when they played each other. I don't think Chet was used to competing against someone that was clearly longer than him.

However it can be a disadvantage as Victor is on the cusp of being Ralph Sampson, Yao Ming, Zadrunas Llgauskas, Rik Smits. There have only been about 20 players in NBA history that have been as long as Victor is and a lot of them have had lower body and back injuries that either limited their career or ended it. For example most fans do not realize that Rik Smits didn't miss a lot of games, but he did have substantial foot injuries that sapped his athleticism and back surgery.

Victor has had several injuries this season, so it is a definite red flag. His mobility and dexterity is what makes him potentially special, so injuries to remove that part of his game makes him someone that could become a back up if he loses that part of his game.

As a prospect, he is unique. He is incredibly nimble on his feet for a man his size, he can use his mobility and balance to create havoc both offensively and defensively. He is projected to be a plus shooter from the perimeter and has a fluid handle that lets him create some off the dribble. He can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket. The negatives are that he doesn't like physical contact and he isn't a hyper explosive athlete. Athletically I would compare him to Tyson Chandler. Defensively he does a lot of things very well and can be elite as someone that can guard the inside and outside and rebound. He doesn't quite have the shot blocking instincts of Holmgren but he is still awesome at it. He doesn't love or handle contact inside well, but he is so long that he recovers well.

He will be the top pick next year if he is healthy. He is the best center prospect since Joel Embiid at least and an argument can be made that he is the best center prospect since Shaquille O'Neal over three decades ago. However, he does have a red flag just like Yao and Embiid and others have had. He is on the cusp of being too big. Medicine and science has improved since the days of Yao and others, and Embiid has shown that a big man can put prior injuries behind him, but its still a risk.

Assuming he is healthy, he is going to be a Hall of Famer. There are just guys every decade or so that before they step on an NBA court, you know they will be in the Hall of Fame (O'Neal, LBJ, Sampson, Thomas).

3. dmoneybangbang

How bigs run is always telling to me. I like Chet and think he is a top 3 prospect, but he runs like the hunchback of Notre Dame. Victor runs like a coordinated gazelle.

Not sure how accurate it is, but Victor already has 20-30 lbs on Chet.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet is also a better overall athlete than Victor.
    He has a hunch in his neck but his gait is very coordinated.
    I have extreme doubts about 30 lbs, 15-20 I could see but there’s also 3 inches of height.

5. dmoneybangbang

Victor appears to be more athletic and coordinated IMO.

xaos and Milos like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

In short area his feet are better. But Chet is faster, a far better leaper and just more explosive.
    Wemby skill, coordination and fluidity at that size is ridiculous. But he’s not overly explosive.

7. dmoneybangbang

Agree to disagree. Chet is far more skilled, but I think Victor wins in the physical tools department.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Nailed it. This would be my concern as well. The magic number, I believe, is 7'4". I believe every player (there might be a couple of exceptions) who've played in the NBA at that height or taller have had limited minutes by the time they're 30 and are out of their careers not long after. But they deal with successive injuries even far earlier in their careers. We saw this big time with Yao. Dr. Kenneth First used to talk about this a ton on sports radio...it's just a given that players at this size are going to experience these injuries. You know that going in.

#88 MadMax, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Milos, Yung-T, jch1911 and 1 other person like this.
  9. cptnbreakdance

They do this essentially hoping that the prospect turns into a Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, David Robinson, or Patrick Ewing instead of those other guys. Those are pretty much the only guys in that category of "generationally talented" big men that didn't have those health issues. (I'm sure I'm missing someone) The ones you mentioned (especially Sampson, Yao, & Bill Walton) were just as talented

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

One has eating deficiency while the other has eating disorder...

::cough::

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m concerned about the frames of both Chet and Wemby. Not many guys at that size in the history of the NBA that could give you 750+ games.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's fair...but those other guys aren't 7'4" or taller. For whatever reason, that seems to be the dividing line for players who flame out super early with those stress fracture type injuries. I remember Dr. Kenneth Low talking about that...that there was a clear dividing line for height...if you were under it, you were far less likely to suffer those sorts of injuries and have a shortened career because of them.

JoeBarelyCares and Nook like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wembanyama has actually looked like he's gained some weight from a couple of years ago. So that's a plus. His problem is that he looks like he's still growing and he's already proven he gets injured -- and he's still not drafted. Chet hasn't gotten injured, so with him that part is still a "what if". His build is only an issue if you visualize him as playing down low any appreciable percentage of a game. Then his durability may come into play. At this point it's like you pray Wembanyama can stay healthy and his leg, finger, left shoulder, right shoulder, etc. are flukes while you pray Chet stays healthy as he has and maybe puts on a few pounds without growing to 7'7". lol.

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Wembanya is younger and noticeably bigger than Holmgren when they are next to each other.

Wembanya has a noticeably longer and wider frame. He is a couple inches taller, has longer arms and is younger.

As you said, he is also heavier than Chet.

However I’m not sure that’s a good thing for Victor. There is such a thing as too big and too long and heavy.

Victor is in Ralph Sampson territory and there are very few players his size that remained healthy.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly and in the modern NBA 4’s and 5’s have to be able to switch and cut and move far more than in the past. They can’t just camp in the post and save wear and tear.

16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Please please please tank for Victor Stone. I truly believe he is the last core piece the rockets need.

17. cptnbreakdance

If we can somehow have the basketball gods in our favor between now and next year's draft, my dream lineup to would be:

PG: KPJ, Nix
    SG: Green, Christopher
    SF: Tari Eason, Tate, Mathews
    PF: Banchero, Garuba
    C: Wenby, Shengun, Garuba

There's enough positional flexibility there to give Shengun minutes alongside Wenby (please sweet baby Jesus let us get #1 next year) at a generic forward spot while also spending some time as the backup center.

KingSamJack likes this.
  18. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I can't see Green, Banchero and Wenby losing any seven game series if they all hit their potential.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've always thought Sampson would have had a long career given today's medical advances. That, and a little luck. He had a far better physique that Chet or Victor have today. The fall he had in Boston started all his problems, in my opinion.

Good image below of what Ralph looked like when he was healthy and playing against the Lakers.

[​IMG]

xaos, Plowman and Nook like this.
  20. Xopher

Xopher Member

Yes. Yes. Tank for Wemby. I mean the worst record guarantees the 1st pick right? I mean the Rockets had the worst record the last 2 years and got two number 1 picks, right?