1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Wembanyama

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Buck Turgidson, Oct 31, 2020.

1. txtodd

txtodd Member

Wow. Now that's a big boy move. ✔️

2. MystikArkitect

The best prospect since Lebron was and is Luka who didn't go #1 overall for some ridiculous reason. Victor doesn't come close to Luka.

xaos likes this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Yung-T likes this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

Not going to get a lot of arguments with me when discussing Luka. I'd put him and Giannis as the 2 most likely to be the best player in the NBA for the next 5-10 years. I also didn't follow Luka as a prospect. For the most part I just stick to NBA so .. I'm just shooting the ****

If Victor stays injury free he appears like he can belong in that freak player category that can dominate. I'm not putting any money on it though since I've literally never seen a game of Victor's

5. i3artow i3aller

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

He's too skinny. He's already injury prone

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

God it would be so fun to land Wembanyama.

Not even for the player, but can you imagine the treasure trove that OKC would offer to get him.

You could take them to the woodshed.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lol this dude has been injured several times yet nobody talks about it. Another guy hasn’t been injured literally at all and all you hear is casuals say he’ll get injured and body won’t hold up. Classic

too skinny! Too injury prone!

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The hypocrisy is ridiculous isn’t it?

Nook and treyk3 like this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Chet has no injury history yet this guy is the once in a life time prospect.

Chet should be the consensus first overall pick and there's an outside chance he slips to three.

I'm still hoping for that.

JoeBarelyCares, cmoak1982 and Nook like this.
  13. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Yeah based on his short history him getting injured a concern, but his people or club may be shutting him down as a precaution.

Medicine is much more advanced in this era than in past generations so guys can recover from serious injuries and lead long careers. Joel Embiid, Durant, and even Klay made it back to the finals.

If he plays a strong healthy season next year the tank race is likely to still go strong, we'll see how he performs.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

To me, him getting shut down isn't the concern -- I mean Shaedon Sharpe shut it down after 3rd grade (lol). I'm more concerned about the fact it's something new every time. The broken finger can be said to be freakish or a one-off. But he's injured both shoulders now (in the same season), and the one that has scared me the most is the stress fracture in the leg. I agree that medicine has improved, but if someone is always getting injured, there's no cure for that. What's going to happen when he's expected to do this for 82+ games a season? We'll see if all these are fluke injuries or a sign his body can't take it.

Yung-T and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

so, you’re saying if injuries area major concern then Rox have a chance to get him?

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Considering I don't even know where the Rockets will be picking, I have no idea. :D Unless the guy runs out of things to injure in the next year or so, I'm guessing he'll still be the top 1 or 2 pick, though.

Yung-T likes this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I just figger if he’s gonna be damaged goods then Shirley the Rox are more likely to land the big…fish.

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I agree. This isn't directed at your post, but just contributing info to the forum, I've studied this game in depth for fun for so long that I probably need to monetize it like others I've interacted with.

If you want an interesting look at that decision as a side note when you have a player like that, I would and I think GMs make a decision based on risk/reward and who's that draft picks competition.

Even if he never plays a full season, how much better will we be as a team with him versus others in this draft or free agents available?

If a player can be a perennial all-star, HOF, or generational talent, even if they are Mr. Glass you can still increase your odds of being a contender, filling seats/making revenue, and possibly winning a championship. As an example here's Kawhi and Anthony Davis' injury history, as mentioned Embiid, Klay, and even Curry have been injury-prone.

[​IMG]

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba/who-m...eir-nba-career-anthony-davis-or-kawhi-leonard

A prime example is old school Bill Walton, who won a championship going through Kareem when finally healthy:

"Bill Walton missed 4 full seasons
    The first pick in the 1974 NBA Draft, Walton missed 47 games as a rookie and 31 in his second season with knee and back injuries. When he led Portland to its lone NBA title in 1977, he played in only 65 regular-season games"

Bill Walton's Hall of Fame Career Was Marred by Injuries, but ...https://www.sportscasting.com › bill-walton-career-marred...

Medicine is much better since Walton's days, but I think you have to load manage those players, have a second superstar, and plan on depth so you aren't solely dependent on them in the regular season. Then let them loose postseason, if they get hurt they can have surgery/rehab over the summer to heal up without pressure to play games.

But it's a question if this is a generational guy should we take the risk anyway? I don't know who the second-best prospect is, but if Wemby is head and shoulders above him, I might still take the chance.

#78 OkayAyeReloaded, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

As a basketball fan, I don't really want part-time players. I understand injuries happen, but if you're going to be "load managed" and then still injured, what exactly am I cheering for? Kawhi was a legit stud early in his career when he was averaging 65-70 games or so a season. Once he got to Toronto and the load management really kicked in and he was also injured, he fell down a tier or two in terms of talent I'd like to have. Even Anthony Davis was averaging close to 70 games a season early in his career. His injuries and load management really started affecting the last few years, I think. If Wembanyama can do 65+ games a season, I'm good.

It's great you're a generational talent, but if I may or may not see you some games and/or you may or may not be injured, what exactly is "generational" about you? Or is it that you're possibly generational for 50 games a year? Or better yet, at what point do you say that Scoot Henderson kid ain't bad in comparison (he's currently considered to be the 2nd best prospect by most)?

The whole "generational" and "unicorn" label gets overused way the hell too much, but that's another argument. If Wembanyama proves to be what people thought he would be for 65+ games a year, then he very well could be generational.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It really is interesting how few people are concerned about his frame when there is a guy currently in the draft with almost the exact same frame and it's the biggest red flag in NBA history.

Look at these 2 bodybuilders

[​IMG]

FWIW the frame concerns me equally on both guys, but to many people the skinny white dude is stay away at all costs (who gives Shawn Bradley vibes), while the skinny black dude is a generational talent (and to the best of my knowledge hasn't given people Manute Bol vides)

#80 sealclubber1016, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    Invisible Fan and cmoak1982 like this.