1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Wembanyama tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lunareste, Oct 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He doesn't respond when he has no answer. I have given up on making any meaningful discussion with him. He pretty much only has three kinds of response when he is clearly wrong.

1. Repeat the same things over and over again.
    2. Use some weird logic to divert the issue to something else.
    3. Silence

jordnnnn and JusBleezy like this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

is this true ??

@hakeem94
    @hakeem94
    @hakeem94

daywalker02 and JusBleezy like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I said San Antonio as far back as last December-

But if its market size that drives the decision, the Rockets are ~#11th with Toronto (6th) and Chicago (3rd) both in the lottery & Chicago has decent odds at 7.5% at the top pick.

(Take this with the assumption that the lottery is rigged - I don't necessarily believe that but there is smoke .... but that's a conversation for another time)

I still pretty much think San Antonio is gifted the top pick but if not them, I could see the league handing it to the Bulls and the 3rd largest market.

Rolliepollie and pippendagimp like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

IF it were rigged, San Antonio would win it.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

If it were rigged, it would both be the biggest scandal in sports history as well as very difficult to keep quiet given the number of people who would have to be involved. (Realistically the owners would have to be in on it because otherwise it would be too much risk for too little value to NBA leadership.)

I do think have my suspicions that the league sometimes puts its finger on the scale via the officiating in the playoffs. They can target specific players and teams without ever naming names, by saying "We want you to call fewer fouls on X kind of plays because we think it's better for basketball" and it can just be one or two guys making that decision without communicating their reasoning.

But rigging the draft lottery to specifically give the top pick to one team in particular is on a totally different level. There's absolutely no plausible deniability and the risks far outweigh the rewards.

Please always keep in mind that humans are pattern-seeking machines. Something that looks like "too good of a narrative" or "rewarding the league's favorite good guys" can just be random chance, but your brain wants it to mean something, because that's how we're built as a species. Always be suspicious of your own biases!

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, it's not rigged. Too much to lose.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

To be fair, others should actually follow that example.

Easy likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

from J.R.’s post below it seems irrefutable that the draft lottery is being rigged at least in certain years

Do you actually believe there's a possibility that Wemby and/or Harden will be a Rocket next year?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hakeem of Derp Planet

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

None of the stuff mentioned in that post is actual evidence that the draft lottery is rigged. Refer back to what I wrote about us humans being pattern-seeking machines. If some other team had won in those years people would come up with some story about why the NBA had clearly rigged it in that team's favor. If we do win the Wemby sweepstakes, fans from other teams are going to be coming up with stories about how it was rigged in our favor because the NBA can't let the 4th biggest city's team be this bad and we lost out on the last two so it's our turn and whatever other nonsense you want to come up with.

Like I said, I believe that it's highly possible the NBA tilts the officiating in subtle ways that would be difficult or impossible to prove. I definitely believe individual refs are biased against certain teams and players and/or just plain suck at their jobs.

But rigging the draft lottery is just too big of a crime, too much risk for too little reward, too hard to get away with, and I've never seen any actual evidence (like whistleblowing witnesses, damning memos, etc) to make me believe it actually happens. Just saying "X happened, isn't that convenient" isn't good enough. **** happens, that's randomness for you.

cmlmel77, Williamson and Y2JT like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, "not rigged" doesn't mean it's all clean. People like to create dichotomies. It's easier to think only 100% or 0%.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if we win the wemby sweepstakes (which we won't) it won't be the same as the lottery rigging detailed in J.R.'s post because we have 14% odds, not 1.7% or 2.8%, etc

and the lottery has gone as expected in the other years between the "outliers" in his post. funny how that works lol

2019 though is one draft lottery that cannot be deemed legit by any measure. to have BOTH the pels and fakers make giant leaps against the odds, nah bro :D

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This year it's going to be the Spurs and Lakers...

*puts on tinfoil hat*

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

@hakeem94 Are you really going to ignore these posts? I am simply asking you what route the Rockets should take this offseason.

15. i3artow i3aller

16. invocux

invocux Member

He's 7'5 or 7'6 and that's the exact reason why i don't want him. Kid is one serious injury away from never reaching his potential and that injury is inevitable. I don't want anyone who will be unavailable to help the team when we are a contender.

rpr52121 and Rolliepollie like this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

He is lanky and doesn't play like a traditional center and that may help him as long as he doesn't put on too much mass as he matures. The main issue for injury risk with big guys is the strain their size puts on their joints and extremities, and that's as much due to weight as it is due to height.

Reminder that this guy weighs 230, twenty pounds less than LeBron. For comparison, Yao was listed at around 310lbs.

If we got him, I would totally let him play the 4 like he wants to, maybe even the 3 in some lineups. Try to keep him relatively thin, don't make him bang in the paint all day, and give him ridiculous size mismatches against smaller defenders. With his skills and athleticism I think he could do it.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I apologize to everyone for not responding I am kinda very picky about interactions and write only when its inspiring/joy to write...whenever i feel its even a little burden i refuse to engage...
    and this is my approach to almost anyting in life

nothing personal you are wonderful people most of the time

and i believe everybody should do so...i oblige nobody to ever respond to me or even say hi on the street...LOL

Anyway i have no special powers and I already provided you with a lot of insight into my way of thinking so yall can probably guess my opinion pretty accurately even if i am silent

and even tho you abhor some of my takes i think i have enriched you at least, so that you can be less tunel visioned and richer in perspective in your decision making...

Go Rockets!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.