1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Wembanyama tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lunareste, Oct 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

There is a strong distinction here. You want a player who can pass like a true point guard. Steph, Harden, Luka, Trae (and Bron), less so Ja all pass at pure point guard volumes to a certain degree. None of the players this year at this stage projects to be big time passers.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Cason Wallace is a legit point. He's a bit undersized compared to say KPJ and isn't near as athletic as Scoot, but he's quick, got great handles, good vision, a good shot and is a great defender. Bet he has a big year at Duke.

Yung-T likes this.
  3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not happening. Enough. We'll win 32 - 34 games.

And, even if we didn't, and were down with the big tankers...Adam Silver and the League would never give us this guy on top of what we already have. The Rockets wouldn't even get a top 5 pick in that situation.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Scoot Henderson would fit this team like a glove. A true PG who happens to be a terrific scorer. Tanking socks, but Wemby or Henderson would make this team a contender very shortly.

xaos likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

tanking is like drug...its an addiction...when we get wemby youll still wish we continue tank to get this or that newest media hype who would fit so well with vic....tanking is for losers, soft and weak people...and the winning is for the winners...theres no substitute for winning!

mirdirir likes this.
  6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

This team isn't going to sniff 32-34 wins. Not good enough. Too young. Bad coaching. And they need a high lottery pick this year, before we lose control of out picks.

32-34 wins is Kings / Hornets territory, a place you don't want to be as a franchise. Better to be really bad, than just sorta bad.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

oh just you wait until media machine hypes them up!...they will be projected even higher and better...

8. dmoneybangbang

Not happening.

Our first quarter of the season has a brutal schedule, we are going to have a pretty bad record.

I see no reason the league would bar us from getting a top 5 pick if we were actually playing our guys and not shamelessly tanking.

luckyman76, Hakeemtheking and juanm34 like this.
  9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

If this team wins 34 games Jalen Green is going to the all star game and winning MIP.

Either the young guys way outperform expectations (with EG as our only rotation vet) or we get a top pick again.

I'm ok with either outcome, their both positives for the rockets.

The only negative situation would be winning 30 games cause we're playing EG 40 mins at the end of the year and other teams are sitting their main guys. But, we were terrible all year.

Hakeemtheking and xaos like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If they win 34 games I'm giving him MVP.

11. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

The league doesn’t bar ****. It is ridiculous conspiracy theory to suggest otherwise. The results are observed and audited by people who have a lot more to lose than they have to gain by “rewarding” certain big market teams like, for example, Orlando and Cleveland, with top picks.

xaos likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

I agree but it’s 2022 so conspiracy theories are treated as common place,

13. cmlmel77

Sure, but that doesn’t mean we should accept them. This one, like most, requires the assumption of idiocy, blindness, and/or lack of self interest among dozens of smart people to believe. So, you can believe that, or recognize the classic line from Rounders … “here’s the thing…”

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Okc as well.

I know they will do anything dor Wemby.

I'd think hard about a trade back with them.

xaos likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope.

16. dmoneybangbang

I don’t disagree. I think the league won’t deny the rockets a top pick.

I think the Rockets need to straddle the line between player development and adding another high end draft pick.

17. xaos

xaos Member

What do you think a realistic trade looks like in this scenario:

Rockets lands #1

OKC lands #5

When I say realistic, I understand that it will be a historic haul.

I'd still think hard even if it was a historic haul.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Realistic is sort of out of the question. I don't know that anyone has had the asset trove that OKC has had.

Keepin in mind i have serious concerns about Wembys long term health, but here are some scenarios I have run through my head.

Scoot and Chet for Wemby.....yes, I would.

#5, Giddeys and Chet for Wemby...I'd think long and hard. Depends on who is at 5.

They also have our picks they can return which helps.

Definitely some scenarios to think about.

xaos likes this.
  19. xaos

xaos Member

Interesting to think about for sure. I'd pass on all those but I do think they would be ultra aggressive in pursuit. I don't think any combination of 2 players + pick would be off the table for them.

20. cmlmel77

The league won’t do anything one way or another, any more than they do for anyone else. It is pure chance once the final standings are determined.

Where I agree is that the balance is between development and a high pick. Fortunately letting young players play serves both purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.